Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post op posterior meniscus tear & debridement -- Bruising & stitches  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Tahugo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
How normal is it to have stitches due to bleeding -- the surgeon at the teaching hospital who did the op (I hope it wasn't his first) said "it was awfully tight in there and there was bleeding".  I had an arthroscopy on the left knee last year and there was hardly any bruising and certainly no stitches (different surgeon) but that was a medial meniscal tear repair --

This time, my whole right leg is bruised down the outside, and it is still swollen after 8 days.  I did not have any pain after surgery and did not need to take painkillers at all -- I haven't since, but walking around on it today (too much) made it more swollen with twinges of pain but not enough to medicate.

Its the bruising that I am worried about -- is that normal.  All up and down my leg on the outside mostly below my knee, but also very sore above my knee outside thigh.

Thanks

Offline Lynnie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Had an arthroscopy 3 weeks ago when they were removing plate & screws following severely broken leg.  The arthroscopy hurts a whole lot more than the handware removal.  Don't know about the stitches but my knee was green and yellow from bruising up until a day or two ago.  Therapist said was normal as they do a lot of manipulation inside the knee when they cleaned up the meniscus.  I've learned to take smaller steps as when I take long steps the knee now "catches" and when it does it really hurts.  I went back to work this week and by the time I get home, it's pretty swollen.  I figure it will take quite some time for that to subside and in the meantime I elevate and ice off and on the rest of the day.  Good luck with your recovery.

Offline [email protected]

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Post op posterior meniscus tear & debridement -- Bruising & stitches
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
What you described is EXACTLY happening to my entire right leg after my miniscus surgery.  My surgery was Aug 18, 2010.  YEsterday was 2 weeks.  Several days after my surgery I developed bruising mostly inside my right leg and traveling up my thigh.  Well, it wasn't until nmy cousin came over and made me aware that the bruising was now up AND down the front of my leg, dark red/purple and "new" looking.   I called my surgeon who told me to stop taking the one daily baby aspirin, apply heat on the bruising and ice on the swelling.  I too did not need the pain killers, it is just this massive bruising that I am concerned about.  My leg is stiff. I was advised NOT to bend it - yet.   I need a long skirt!!!  I don't see a date on your Post op question.  Are you better?  Bruising? Remedy? Help!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Post op posterior meniscus tear & debridement -- Bruising & stitches
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 06:58:29 AM »
anything that's a blood thinner like aspirin will make bruising/internal bleeding worse, that's why d/c the aspirin. Heat helps bring blood flow to the area, ice helps decrease swelling. A vitamin E gelcap punctured with a pin and applied topically can help with skin repair for bruising naturally. do not apply near sutures or steri-strips!

Some surgeons don't seem to be as picky as others about closing up details, not all of them inject local anesthetic with epi into the joint as well, the epinephrine causes vasoconstriction and helps control bleeding inside the joint, the local helps with some extra pain control as you wake up.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support