Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Having surgery on May 16th  (Read 1449 times)

Offline jessrock24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Having surgery on May 16th
« on: April 28, 2006, 08:13:46 PM »
Hello everyone.  I am new to this site.  Great site.  I have a torn ACL and Medial Meniscus( I think thats how you spell it).  I chose the Patella autograft, b/c the OS said Hamstring might be to small.  I am not scared of the operation,  but I am scared of the rehab and pain.  But I do want to get this over with, I have been living with this torn ACl for three years.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: Having surgery on May 16th
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 08:33:15 PM »
Welcome to the KNWWgeeks!  Check out the section on cruciate ligaments.  You will get a lot of info and support there.  Click on this link and it will take you there.  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=17.0

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.

HUGs

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 08:45:54 PM »
good luck with ur surgery.  What is an autograft? Is it like an allograft?  Iam on the waiting list for an allograft, and it is quite a recovery time, plus a two-three day hospital stay.  Let me know more. Thanks, Lori
LORI

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:00:28 PM »
jessrock, sorry to hear of your injuries. the patellar autograft is still conidered the gold standard of grafts.

many of the knee geeks have had the same surgery. you're in good company and you've found a great site.

here's another good link for research:  http://steadman-hawkins.com/acl/overview.asp

torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline jessrock24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »
thanks for your support and help.  Will be on this site a lot.  Especially POST-OP  :(

Offline sheri l

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 10:04:58 PM »
Hi Jess

check out our string for progress... Celine and I are having our ops (ACL repair) on May 3rd
you will find us on the "Unhappy triad - help" posting.

all the best to u... glad u have found this site.  It is a real lifesaver!

I am scared of the op but not rehab because the PT i have been having preop is so aggro that my PT tells me that post op will be easier! Yeah! 

U r in good company - and to quote some good advice I was given here...
take it one day at a time.!

Look forward to keeping in touch
regards
Sheri L
skiing injury 16 mar 06,
 unhappy triad,
acl healing response repair 3 May 06

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 11:41:42 AM »
hellp!welcome.
Yeah,i agree, its the best knee site around here.I also found it, but ou if only i had found it much more earlier.I would have done things much more different.But the operation isnt that much of a deal,as you also said(you just take a nap for an hour while the doctor drills and kicks and does stuff under there:P).The rehab isnt easy, but nothing you cant handle, i am sure.Take it as a challenge to conguer.Its your Mount Everest you have to climb;)At now you have things packed and spirit ready, weather appeares good and theres nothing that will stop you to reach the top.
unhappy triad

Offline sezb

• Forum Faithful
  • Sister Sarah's lost her mind...
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 05:19:14 PM »
Hi,

Good luck, I can't believe you have waited 3 years, I thought waiting 3 months was bad enough! I had my ACLR op last week 21st April and I am glad it is over with apart from rehab. The pain afterwards wasn't too bad for me apart from when the morphine and block wore off after the op, but even then it was fine after a couple of hours, (maybe I've been lucky or there's more pain yet to come!!!) I'm not on regular pain killers, but if I do anything that does hurt a bit I stop and take it a bit easier. My PT says that if it hurts stop. Good advice! Obviously the odd twinge hurts but it's nothing to write home about.

Cheers
Sez  :)
ACL op R. knee 02/90
ACL op L. Knee 04/06 
(Yes went and did the other knee too - skiing again!)
Had enough of knees now!!!

Offline firefytinfemale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 03:51:23 AM »
First of all... best of luck to you in your surgery and rehab.

I just had my ACL reconstructed and medial menisectomy 5 1/2 weeks ago.  The difference is that I had a hamstring graft.  I will tell you the truth because that's what I like for myself.....  The surgery itself didn't scare me either.  I was ready (ACL torn x14 yrs) and I trusted my doctor. 

The day of surgery was relatively pain free because of a nerve block that left my entire leg numb.  I was instructed to start the pain meds even though I didn't have pain just to get it into my system.  The day after surgery was the worst.  I was taking 2 Darvocet and 600 mg of ibuprofen just to take bit of the edge off of the pain.  The third day was better and so was the next and so on. 

Rehab is going well.  Yes, there are days when I hurt a bit more, but it is never more than over the counter medicine can't handle.  I think it gets easier as you move on.  The worst day in rehab for me was trying to get 5 more degrees of flexion when my knee was still very tight and swollen.  I went home afterwards, took some ibuprofen and was fine.

My best advice to you is this...  set up a network of caregivers/helpers prior to surgery, take the pain meds, ice and elevate!  I promise you will get through it.  Remember that if you have a question... call the doc!!!!!  He is there to help you.  That's his job.  Here is a link to a post I did on a different board.  It basically asks the same as yours and there are a bunch of responses. 

http://www.factotem.org/cgi-bin/kneebbs.pl/read/250243

Offline planetloz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 02:22:12 PM »
No kidding, you waited 3 years! I tore my ACL and meniscus (+ bruising on the tibia) 4 weeks ago, and I am so far from walking normally that I am convinced only the surgery will get me back to normal (can't walk to shops, or kids to school, just limp around the house) but I have to wait at least 6 weeks, doing physio and I find that long! 
This site is a great place to find advice, the post op section will have lots of tips for you.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
June 04: arthroscopic surgery to trim medial meniscus tear
April 06: ski injury: torn ACL, further tear in the posterior horn of medial meniscus, bone bruising of lateral fibial plateau. foot cyst excision 24/6/06, ACL recon hamstring, meniscus trim 23/08/06

Offline sezb

• Forum Faithful
  • Sister Sarah's lost her mind...
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 02:46:41 PM »
Hi Plantloz,

What you did is exactly what I did...... including the bruising to the bone. 6 weeks will go quickly. I was really upset that I couldn't have the surgery straight away, but understood that things are done differently now and they want things to calm down a bit in the knee re: swelling and buliding up the muscles, etc before surgery. When I ruptured my ACL (right knee) 16 years ago I had an ACL op. within 2 days of rupturing it, so it was a bit different this time! There are pro's and cons but it was great not to have a full length plaster (itch, itch) on my leg this time as I did then! It is strange not to have had anything on my leg after the surgery this time apart from the plaster covering the staples and a tubigrip bandage.

I had my ACL op on 21st April. It is frustrating not to be able to pop to the shops, or take the kids to school, (and all their activities) or drive yet but hopefully by the end of this month I will be able to be a little more back to normal.

Here's to normality!

Sez :)       
ACL op R. knee 02/90
ACL op L. Knee 04/06 
(Yes went and did the other knee too - skiing again!)
Had enough of knees now!!!

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 06:06:31 PM »
Hi Jess,

this is a great site and you should get lot of useful tips from it. I had my ACL recon 3 days ago and it really wasn't that bad. I was quite nervous beforehand and was shaking when they gave me the anaesthetic! But afterwards, trust me, you will be glad you had it done. I don't think patella vs hamstring is all that important. The main thing is you've got an OS that you believe in and you'll work hard at the physio.

regards,

Robin
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline jessrock24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 07:07:36 PM »
I waited 3 years b/c I did  not think I tore my ACL.   I thought it was a sprain.  I tore my ACL skiing.   I flew in the air, head pointing down, ski did not release, heard a pop while in the air, head hit the ground was out for a few seconds, woke up felt my knee because I thought I broke it, seemed in place, but couldn't walk, ski patrol picked me up and took me to the mini hospital but I refused treatment(thought I could walk it off).  I walked with a limp for about a month, was ok except for an occasional pop out.   Then this year, knee was very unstable.  So went to the DR.  and now having surgery.   You guys are great.  VERY GOOD SITE.  Its easier to go through this knowing people have gone through it before and are doing fine.

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 07:29:05 PM »
Hello ACL repair folks,

I am fortunate enough to have never damaged my ACLs but have had 8 procedures with great results.  All I want to say is that the post op rehab is the key to maximizing the recovery from ACL reconstruction, baring unforeseen events.  Work with your PT/physio to learn when the pain is stop the activity pain versus the pain associated with working towards a new level.  Being tough and tolerating too much pain to push for a faster recovery can create a major set back, or at least I have seen this with some athletes I have know, soccer, football and ski racers. 

Good luck to all of you ...................Jim

L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

support