Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 1 week until hardware removal, what next?  (Read 939 times)

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Limping, but walking!!!
1 week until hardware removal, what next?
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:46:29 PM »
It is one week from today that I will be going to get the hardware out finally. I am happy and alittle anxous. I want it out it has caused me so many problems and it has to come out early. I really don't know what to exspect now. I was told what you go in with is what you have after excpt for a 10% chance of more movement etc. Well I don't like those odds. I have been dealing with it for 8 months now and nothing has been as they have said. I will go in for day surgery and come home and then what? Pain and the hopes I don't have to start all over again. I have seen posts about getting theres out and I know everyone is different, but my injury seems to be in that class of not many. I knjow they should of replaced it instead of a full rconstuction. I guess I am nervous, but I remeber how hard it was to do just the little things and how hard I worked to get this far. I really don't want to be laid up for a few months again. How did you all deal with it? I could use some ideas at what I am looking at. I go in for pre op on Tuesday but you know how that goes, I have herd so many things from my OS's that were not on target or they held back info. I am trying to prepare everything at home, but I wonder how long am I going to need the help. Any one with advise I would love. I am like one of those count down people at nasa counting myself down.
BS
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline loriburns

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 1 week until hardware removal, what next?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 05:07:39 PM »
first of all, what kind of hardware do you have in right now?  I have had several surgeries, and the last two major ones were fulkerson osteotomies.  I had three large screws with both, and also had a bone graftr with one of them.  I had my hardware removed both times because I did not loike the way it felt, it hurt me, and i did not like the feeling of having something in there that did not belong.  I had the left knee scoped and cleaned up again with the removal, and everything went fine, I was laid up for only about one week, and then went to therapy, but basically was able to do what I felt comfortable doing.  I think you need to relax a little, because the more nervous you are, the worse off you can be.  I am awaiting a, allograft right now, which is a huge surgery, and have learned that you just have to take your knees for what they are and let the doctord help you the best they can.  If I was to be nervous, which I am a little, but that woudl stress me out every day, I am on the waiting list, and it can be anywhere from one to 6 months before the donor comes available, and once they call me, I have to go and have the surgery within 48 hours of the call.  Anyhow, good luck on the removal, and let me know how it goes.......take care, Lori
LORI

Offline mrmk1111

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 12:17:11 AM »
I am 3 days since hardware removal but Mine was a fig 8 [shattered cap] one of the wires was broken.My doc. said about a inch of skin would be cut open boy he lied.lol [do what you have to ]also said could return to work in a few days . he says now we will talk in 2 weeks. staples and it hurts but I think not as bad as first time.dont' give up I will keep you posted maybe it wont' be to bad.
shattered pattella 6/21/04,surgary 6/23/04,back to work now but still have hardware and pain with swelling.8/22/05 still swells and hurts.can't run but lots better.4/27/06 Had hardware removed
1/18/09 It still hurts to do the stairs.

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 04:06:45 AM »
Hi Biiker, I had my hardware out March 16th and am doing very well.  I had a shattered patella ( 3 pieces and small fractures ) with pins and figure 8 wire.  Hardware was in for 4 months and they had to remove it early cause it was causing so many problems.  Extreme swelling, heat, stiffness and half way through the day I could barely walk.  I am sure you know the routine.

It was a easy surgery with a quick recovery.  Surgery was about a hour and a half and they made a 2" incision.  Wore a full leg brace for 2 days and used crtuches 3 or 4 days.  First day my leg was throbbing and had some sharp pains shooting through leg but after that the pain level was very low.  I was told to take it easy for a week and I did.  No exercises or a lot of walking.  Actually I took it easy for 2 weeks because I was scared to re injure the knee.  After the second week I got on a plane and went to California and did a lot of walking.  When it started to hurt I just rested it for a while and then walked some more.  Some days I used a cane if it bothered me too much.

It was about 3 weeks before it really started to feel good, and 4 weeks later the knee gave me no problems at all.  I just woke up one day and it felf better.  It was like magic.  Hard to explain.  One day it just felt better.  Now I can barely tell my knee was broken.  Its a difference of night and day.

I was told not to do any physical therapy or exercises at all until hardware gone for 6 weeks.  My ROM is better now than before, because the hardware was limiting my range of motion.  I can do just about everything now, except kneeling and squats.  Doctors orders.  My job requires lots of walking, standing and some days I stand 5 hours or more with little discomfort.  My only problem now is quad wasting but I can't work on strengthing those for a few more weeks.

I am so glad that hardware is gone and you will really see and feel the difference within a few weeks after the removal.  This surgery is nothing like the last one you had.  Its a quick recovery.

Its been 5 weeks gone for me now and I am doing really well.  Pain level is low, ( almost none ) no swelling or stifness.  Feels great and you will not regret having it done.  Its a 100% difference.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.  Good luck!  Keep us posted!

tippyclubb

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 01:57:35 PM »
I forgot to add I still don't do stairs well.  Still doing one step at a time.  I can walk them properly if I really focus but when I do it really makes the knee hurt.  Its only been 5 months so I think knee needs a few more month to finish healing.

tippyclubb

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 07:38:25 AM »
Hey!
Thanks for replies.
 From what I was told I have full K wire crown over knee, figure eight ,chipped tibula at center of joint, 4 rush rods( look like meat hooks at each end they drilled into leg to push in) . Biggest thing is twist tie sticks out, stings and knee lock or go out on me, unstable. I bent one in Feb and it was on puntcher spot and nothing there so rub rub on bone. I know they will open me up almost full lenght cause of the zorro scar I have. It is 7 3/4 " long. I worry about quads, just getting them going good. I can squat, no knealing twist will pop through. I just know I will come out with something different than what they will say. I do Tuesday for pre op and I'll let you know and then after to see. I just hope to get more movement and less stiffness. I would love to walk with out fear of it giving out. I am not pleased with the fact that hubbies family called and are stopping over for the night on way back up north on Saturday. How am I going to deal with 5 other people in the house. My father in law I don't he is 76 and he is in poor health, but others I feel like shipping to holiday in or I shopuld go.I just hope Doc's give me something good cause I will appologize when they first get here for what ever I do or say. The reconstruction has been very hard, it pretty much intells everything being repaired, muscle, ligaments, cart, tissue , tendons the whole ball of wax. I just think had I been givin option I would of had a replacement. I will let you know and thanks
BS
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!