Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fore arm crutch pads/protectors?  (Read 2604 times)

Hop skip n jump

Fore arm crutch pads/protectors?
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:45:23 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know where I can get hold of comfy pads for this type of crutches? They always make my hands sore??

Thanks

Hop

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:48:46 PM by Hop skip n jump »

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Fore arm crutch pads/protectors?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:20:43 PM »
Hi,

You can purchase sheepskin forearm crutch pads anywhere that has Home Care products. I've been using the sheepskin crutch pads on my metal crutches and they really help.

You can also buy gel pads that cushion also.......
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 08:22:18 PM by shade »
July '05(RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06(RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07(LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:32:36 PM »
Hop,

I used the sheepskin too on a previous pair of crutches. Very comfortable until the dog ate one.

Now I use a pair of cycling gloves, as I used to cycle approx 200 miles per week. They're padded in certain places on the palms and fingers for obvious reasons. There are some available which keep your hands cool in summer and warm in winter. There are a few different makes too - mine are Fox and I bought them from Halfords, so easily and readily available.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 09:32:39 PM »
THanks Shade and Laura

Do you think these will fit

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/TWEN21440.asp

They are the only ones I can find that are for my type of crutches, all of the others are for thr under arm ones!

Hop  ;D

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:35:50 PM »
Hey Hop,

You could make em for less money than that!!

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 09:59:57 PM »
I made some neoprene into tubes with the help of my trusty sewing machine.  They were comfortable, non-slip and hard wearing.
I also had a pair of cycling gloves, but after a few weeks my hands hardened to the crutches.

Good luck,

Heather :)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 10:23:11 PM »
Hi Heather

How ya doing?  Nice to hear from you. What's neoprene? I have never heard of it before!

Hey Laura I think I will probably end up making some cos 30 odd quid seems rather excessive!

Hop x

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 10:36:11 PM »
Hey Hop,

Neoprene is a synthetic rubber used in all sorts of industries, including medicine. You may have heard of neoprene knee supports. They're the stretchy feeling ones that are a little rubbery, but are supposed to stop your skin getting too hot in the summer. Mine didn't do this and I ended up with a blotchy rash so had to stop using it.

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
29/05/15-Arthroscopy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 09:28:01 AM »
Neoprene is also the stuff wetsuits are made of.  Its a bit like very dense but squishy soft foam.  Ideal for crutch protectors.  It comes in different thicknesses......the thicker the better.

I needed a new camera case a few weeks back, but at 16 I wasnt buying!!, so I went to Woolies and bought a neoprene pencil case and got the scizzors, a bit of velcro and my best Brother(sewing machine).  10 Mins later I had 2 made-to-measure camera cases for 2.99, and better than than the 16 one, and mine is nice and bounce neoprene to protect the camera!! ;D

Its not easy to get hold of, Ive never seen it in a material shop, so when I needed some, I went looking for kids bags or a pencil case to chop up.  Lidl have, from time to time, neoprene fishing socks for about 3.99...but then again you could get some well padded fingerless cycling gloves for under 5.

Hop, Im doing really well, thanks.  I have'nt yet cast a spider web with my wrist stitches or mastered swinging from building to building ;D, but Im working on it. 
I go back for x-rays next Tuesday (7 weeks post-op) to see if it has knitted  ;D excuse the punn!! ;D back together.  Hopefully they can give me the all clear to ditch the splint.  I take the splint off several times daily to stretch my wrist....I have megga movement although still pretty stiff and sore, but quickly improving. The damage to the nerves is a pain in the butt, feels like I've been attacked by a cheese grater and stung by a bee :P Hopefully that will improve in time.
I wentto the Hand Therapist yesterday for a check-up on wrist bendyness progress to check on my bendability.  She was sort of happy with progress.
Im still not allowed to lift more than a cup.....so fingers crossed for next week ;)  I just want to get back to normal (dont we all :P)

Anyway, take care and good luck with the crutch protectors,

Heather ;)
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 07:34:54 PM »
Hi Heather

Thanks for the advice, I took it but because I don't have a sewing machine I took the easy/expensive way and bought some neoprane grips and some sheepskin covers for the fore arm bit! I figured that I won't be spending any money for a while being stuck inside etc so why not treat myself!!!

I'm glad to hear that you wrist is getting better and that there havn't been any more Rover incidents! Shame about the web casting (tee hee) that would have been great fun for gettin about on them knees!!! Bendibility progress is great news, I bet you can't wait to get the splint off. Fingers and toes crossed for Tuesday. Mind you that means that you will have to go back to making your own cup of tea!  ;) Let me know how you get on. Enjoy the rest of your bank holiday.
Hop x

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 10:41:23 PM »
Thats great you have managed to get fluffy, non slip, super soft grippy grips for your crutches.  Im sure they will be well appreciated.

Im lucky to have the splint, as I can take it off whenever I want to do the bendy exercises.  Right now the stinky splint is in the washer and I feel great withoug the restriction of the splint (and straight jacket) ;D
A plaster cast would have been absolutley barking by now and I would have had a 'stiff as a board' wrist :P

OK Im waffling on now and falling asleep....so off for my Zzzzzzzzzz's now :)

Take care,

Heather ;)
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope