Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Terrified of Manipulation!!  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Lanie44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Terrified of Manipulation!!
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:10:17 AM »
Hi, I had arthroscopic surgery last September and a total knee replacement on 3/10/06.  I am almost 8 weeks post-op and can only flex my knee to 73 degrees.  My surgeon wants to do a knee manipulation, and I am so afraid of this procedure.  I know the complications can be a fracture or other complications and the success rate for me is only about 50/50 according to 2 different Orthos.  I have significant arthrofibrosis that he hopes to "break up" with the manipulation.  He states I need to have this soon or the chances of success will decrease as time passes.  I have been extremely faithful with my P.T. visits, and the days I do not go to P.T. I dedicate to my home P.T. program. Oh, my leg is still very swollen from my ankle to mid-thigh which I know is a factor in my ability to flex.  My extension is fine.   Any thoughts or words of wisdom/encouragment would be greatly appreciated!!   :'(

Lanie44

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Terrified of Manipulation!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 02:24:21 AM »
Hey Lannie, i'm really sorry that your Knee replacement didn't work out quite like they show on TV... :( Sounds like you are having a really hard time of it. I haven't been in your position but I just wanted to say hang in there and keep your chin up... maybe the Manipulation will be worth the risk?

Hugs and Hope
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

mudpuppy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:24:03 AM »
Lannie,

So sorry to hear that your recovery isn't going well.  I have not had TKR, but I have had a manipulation.  I had it 10 weeks after an arthroscopy with partial lateral & medial meniscectomies.  I was never able to get more than 45 degrees of flexion so decided to have the MUA.  I chose to be awake during the procedure and had  spinal anesthesia.  I have heard that many people have had bad experiences with MUA, but in my case it was helpful - my knee is not perfect by any means but it has definitely improved.  The really important part is to get the knee moving afterwards, have physical therapy and make sure the pain is controlled so you can get the knee moving. 

You might want to post in the arthritis/ knee replacement section - I'm sure there are many who have had TKR and MUA who could give you more input.

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

mp

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »
After my first knee replacement, I had a manipulation.  It was about 3 1/2 months later.  I had got up to over 100 degrees of ROM and then lost it down to 65 - 70.  The pain increased and I was miserible.  The manipulation was the best decision I made.  It was painful for a day or so.  But i got rid of the major pain in my knee and gradually got ROM back.  I was put to sleep and I remember as I was getting the med that my OS told the anestheologist that he wanted me as relaxed as possible.  When I woke up they had given me a femoral block to help control pain.  The block did not seem to help much but by morning, I was doing ok.  I went to PT every day for a week working on ROM.  Having the manipulation was the best decision I made. 
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

support