Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: not major problem, but I'm stumped  (Read 863 times)

Offline sep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
not major problem, but I'm stumped
« on: April 09, 2003, 02:47:08 AM »
I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I've never had a major knee injury or surgery, but every so often when I put my weight on one it starts to hurt - it's not exactly a pop but it comes on very fast and I know I did it again.  Sometimes I'm working out, sometimes just getting out of a chair.  Then for the next day or so I can't put any weight on it bent without a lot of pain.  It's behind the middle of the kneecap, and no closer to one side than to the other.  It's more common in my left knee but happens to both.

There's no clicking, noise, or hanging up and no swelling as far as I can tell, and my kneecap seems to be in the right place (also as far as I can tell).  A heating pad makes it feel better.  Tensing it when the leg's straight makes it a bit sore, but not the full pain level.  Is this something major I should get looked at (which would be bad because I don't have good insurance)?  I have kind of high arches, could that be my problem?  Or do I just have a weak muscle in there somewhere?  If anyone has any guidance please let me know.

Sarah, 22 years old in Connecticut, US

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: not major problem, but I'm stumped
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 07:06:08 PM »
Sarah

Welcome.  Can't exactly pinpoint what your problem is, but any pain, while intermittent, that continues for awhile should probably be looked into.  There are a host of possibilities, but I wouldn't venture a guess.  Start with your pimary care physician and see what he/she thinks.  Muscle weakness can cause problems, but you really are better off having it checked out professionally.  Maybe some PT could help, but a dr. needs to evaluate first.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

support