Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteotomy how long in hospital? 23hrs seems short!  (Read 1521 times)

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Osteotomy how long in hospital? 23hrs seems short!
« on: April 09, 2003, 02:14:57 AM »
After three orthopaedic opinions (2 in the UK and 1 in the US) it's 2:1 in favour of an HTO for my ongoing posterolateral instability (+ failed ACL graft + partially functioning PCL graft + slightly wobbly MCL + moderately wobbly LCL + varus malalignment.)

At the moment I'm looking at the options of surgery in the UK but I haven't excluded US surgery. However I'm told that this will involve a "23 hour discharge", which is apparently usual to allow it to be classed as an out-patient procedure (usuallly for insurance purposes)

I would be offered a guest room in the hospital after 24 hours but still this seems a bit drastic.

Am I being a wimp or  is it realistic to have sufficient mobility and pain control after 24 hours to look after yourself?  (Having had a large wedge taken out of the tibia and stuffed with a lump of bone from your pelvis and then screwed together with pins and plate.)

Any thoughts?
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
Re: Osteotomy how long in hospital? 23hrs seems sh
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 07:11:25 PM »
KJ

I had TTT last May in Boston, MA and it was termed 23 hr....  I had a morphine pump overnight which made me violently ill, so I didn't push it and found I really didn't need it.  I was eager to leave the hosp. and tho' my OS gave me the option of staying, I went home.  Percoset controlled my pain very well, as long as I didn't wait too long to take it.  I had my husband and 3 grown children to wait on me hand and foot. (Ah, yes, payback!)   If not for that, I might have opted for another nite in the hosp.  Again, it depends on what 'home' is like.  I also had the option of 'living' all on one floor for 10 days (bath, bed, kitchen) before I ventured upstairs.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 09:38:16 PM »
The trouble is that I would be thousands of miles from home and probably all by myself in a hospital guest room.
I've been through lots of surgery already and I'm also medical so I'm not frightened by it but it seems a dismal option.

Actually my consultant in the UK has decided to refer me to a London hospital to consider having the surgery here. It would be on the NHS so an awful lot cheaper
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline Donna

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 05:34:36 AM »
Hi KJ,

I had my surgery at noon on a Monday and was released at about 6 p.m. on Tuesday after my TTT. It was considered a 23 hour thing. The nice thing about the hospital I had my surgery in is that they have motel type rooms if you are not ready to go home. These rooms are in the hospital  and cost $ 58 dollars a night and my husband could stay there too. I stayed there 3 nights after I was discharged from a regular room. There was no way I could have made the hour drive back home on Tuesday night. It also gave me piece of mind to know I was near Dr.s and nurses if I had any problems. My husband just brought food to the room from the hospital restaurants.

Donna
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 05:39:21 AM by Donna »
4/88 menis, chondroplasty,
10/01 menis, chondroplasty
2/02 microfrac,chondro,menis,
4/02 Fulkerson TTT, LR, microfrac,
2/03 open LR,fat pad removal, lysis,menis Still need more surgery.

support