Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How does an Allograft/Autograft stop Cartilage from Sluffing off?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
How does this surgery prevent cartilage from continuing to sluff off? I realize you are putting more cartilage in there but what I don't understand is what stops the cartilage from continuing to deteroriate?
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006.  He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: How does an Allograft/Autograft stop Cartilage from Sluffing off?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:01:22 PM »
It doesnt stop more cartilage from sluffing off. The proceedure is to repair the damage that is already there. If you are prone to cartilage degeneration there really isnt any way to stop the progress unless you get a TKR. With a TKR there is no cartilage to sluff off.

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline ekbote

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: How does an Allograft/Autograft stop Cartilage from Sluffing off?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:53:41 PM »
How does this surgery prevent cartilage from continuing to sluff off? I realize you are putting more cartilage in there but what I don't understand is what stops the cartilage from continuing to deteroriate?

I read your posts that your son's surgery has been approved by insurance. How does he feel now? How did he get his knee damaged? Hope he feels better now.

support