Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long between knee ops  (Read 879 times)

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
How long between knee ops
« on: April 20, 2006, 07:51:14 AM »
Hi guys

Just curious as to how long you waited if you had to do both knees to do your second one. I'm having my right knee done exactly 11 weeks after my left on (TTT and LR on both).

I'm not 100% convinced I'm ready because even though I've recovered incredibly quickly (according to my physio and surgeon) my left knee has a long way to go. My surgeon thinks I'll be fine and my physio is ok with it but he's pretty amazed we're doing it so soon. I have also pushed to do it sooner rather than later as otherwise I don't have time to do it for a couple of years (and also I just want it to be over)

Anyone else got a time frame to compare?

best wishes
Brigitta

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: How long between knee ops
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:57:01 AM »
I've never had a TTT but personally I think that is too soon, for a couple of reasons. One because I dont' think your leg will truly be ready, like you said it's coming along but it's not perfect. Even when I just had straight LR it was atleast 11 weeks before I was able to climb back on my horse... and for me that was only a stepping stone in my recovery.  11 weeks isn't a very long time for everything to adjust to it's new place, and I guess the other thing is, and I don't mean it to be so harsh, but you don't even know for sure if the TTT is going to solve your problems. If it were me i'd want to wait a little while to make sure that the TTT knee was what I was looking for. You also don't want to risk doing damage to the knee that is recovering already!!!

Goodluck

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline amandalee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:03:21 PM »
my doctor was going to do them 6 weeks apart .. but then i had an open wound for 5 months and now im 8 months out with a cast on the first one again... so we are going to wait 2 years before doing the other leg....
but, if you havent had any problems in your recovery and feel up to it then 11 weeks is a good time....i mean the bone is healed at 6 so why not? but, maybe try using crutches putting all weight on the leg you've already had the surgery on to see if it will handle the pressure.
how long does your doctor put you NWB after the TTT/LR?

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:36:28 AM »
Hi

I am PWB and bending from day 1. My doctor is tough! lol

I took some anti-inflammatories last night they really helped the pain in both my knees. My right knee (the one yet to be done) has been so sore the last few days that walking has even become painful. I don't think I could stand to put up with that horrible burning and aching in it for much longer anyway. If I don't do this now it will literally be 2 years before I have a chance to do it (we travel a lot) and I think the damage that is done in that 2 years will be quite severe.

I think I'll be ok.....I'll soon find out anyway!

Anyone else got a time frame?

Brigitta

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 01:43:58 AM »
just between my TTTs, i had them 4 months apart.  even at that time i felt that i was pushing it.  my right knee (TTT #1) was strong but i still felt that it got sore after putting most of my weight on it for a few days.  if you feel you can physically do it and your doc finds that it's ok, then its totally up to you.  i know erin (mhsflute07) had her TTTs like 6 weeks apart or something like that.  (might wanna ask her about the time frame...can't remember if it was 6weeks exactly). 

good luck!
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 02:13:39 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I did have my TTTs about 7 weeks apart. The soonest my OS would do them was 6 weeks apart. I was planning on that, but due to scheduling issues, it ended up being 7ish weeks. I really feel that it worked out well for me. I still had a lot of rehab to do on my right knee, but I am so glad that I got them both over with.

Good luck!!

~Erin~

June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR