Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anatomy  (Read 763 times)

Offline Ferris

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Anatomy
« on: April 19, 2006, 10:08:38 PM »
While I have been on vacation in Houston from England, I went to see the "Body Worlds 3" exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.  Although it was pricey to get into, I found it fascinating.  It comprises a collection of preserved human corpses dissected to varying degrees to show various muscles and organs.  There were also tissue specimens as well as exampleas of organs both healthy and diseased.  I didn't get an opportunity to see it when it came to London but I'm glad I saw it here - I feel that I understand anatomy much better this way than just seeingg it in books.  Today I finished reading a book I bought over with me from England, called "The Knife Man" by Wendy Moore.  It is a biography of the life of John Hunter who lived in the 18th Century and who is regarded by many to be the father of modern surgery and he was also a founding member of the Veterinary College of London, forerunner to the Royal Veterinary College as a result of his interest in animal anatomy and physiology as well as human. It is a thicjk book but I found it very interesting and it certainly made me glad that I was not undergoing surgery in the 1700s even under him!

Rachel 

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
Re: Anatomy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 10:38:31 PM »
yeah,its good we are living now not century ago, where you could have died just because some simple disease,which are cured very easily nowadays.Plus the operation itself wasnt very nice, have seen some movies.But yeah, we could also be living 2 centuries from now, when your knee,whatever injury you have, is treated with pill and few days off the training:P
Ou i wish that could be that easy even nowadays!
unhappy triad

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 12:00:52 AM »
rachel thats so cool you got to go there!!  i'm really excited because i get to go with my college psychology class in may!!  we are alll sooooo pumped to be going!  sounds like a greally great exhibit and i just can't wait!! :D

~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 08:37:01 AM »
I should be going to Boston in October.  The exhibition moves there around July I think....Im going to try and get a look-in.

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation