Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PHYSICAL THERAPY STARTS THIS WEEK HELP  (Read 709 times)

Offline queenie90247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PHYSICAL THERAPY STARTS THIS WEEK HELP
« on: April 19, 2006, 08:34:24 AM »
hi all i tore my lateral meniscus and medial meniscus and also my acl had surgery 3 weeks ago pt starts  this week was wondering what to expect   how much pain what kind of stuff theyll have me doing any advice  id appreciate

Offline skigal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: PHYSICAL THERAPY STARTS THIS WEEK HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 03:36:04 PM »
I started PT one week after ACLr surgery with meniscus debridement.  I am going three times a week since then.  I was convinced they were going to manhandle my knee and make me suffer even more, but actually, I think they understand the anotomy of my knee maybe even better than the surgeon.  Mostly they have me do exercise sets to increase my rom.  I am up to 110 degrees after only three sessions with full extension.  We are going to start working on balance and strenth now.  It actaully feels better after each session becasue I realizze my leg isn't goiing to fall off if I use it.  Good luck,  Ski gal.

Offline JHTraveller

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 03:44:54 PM »
I agree with skigal.  I started PT one week after my ACL and meniscus surgery.  It wasn't painful at all.  For the first two weeks you are primarily doing exercises to get the quad fired and moving. After a few weeks my therapist did start to manipulate my knee a bit to help with my extension and flexation.  Not the most comfortable feeling in the world but not the most painful either.  (Basically she would gently push on my knee to get my extension back and would bend my knee slightly and have me hold the position to increase flexation.)  If you haven't been moving your leg for the past three weeks getting your range of motion back may be slightly more difficutl.

Overall, going to therapy made me feel better as I felt like I was getting active again.  Don't worry about it!
Jan 1989 Torn ACL(L)
Dec 2005 Complex Tear to Medial Meniscus (L)
Feb 2006 Repaired ACL and Meniscus Trim

Offline thebandgeek

• Regular Poster
  • Nobody move!!!..... I think I dropped my brain!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:48:22 PM »
when i started pt in december i was pretty nervous about it also.  i thought that it was going to hurt and that it wouldn't get much better. but it really helped.  see if they can do electric- stem therepy on your knee (it's supposed to help the blood circulate in your knee so that it'll heal faster), it always helps me and it isn't painful.   Pt may be hard for the first few times that you go but it get easier with time. good luck, and don't worry about it too much. the physical therepy ppl know what they're doing but be sure to tell them when something hurts.

-ash
Age 16
*Clarinet Section Leader of the LHS Marching Eagles*
5/15/06- Right Scope- Debriment, Synovectomy, and L/R