Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: surgery or no surgery  (Read 836 times)

Offline Voeltner456

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
surgery or no surgery
« on: April 19, 2006, 01:45:09 AM »
Hey all....2 weeks ago i was playing basketball.....i went throught the same accident i assume as most of you have....you kno the routine....knee pops, you fall...instant swelling....go to the hospital for xrays....their negative.....i went to my an orthopedic surgeon....did series of tests on the knee and did not think that my ACL was torn....also stated that cartilage felt good.....proceeded to drain my knee....told me if their was blood in the fluid i should b worried....no blood  :)   last tuesday i had an MRI.....very interesting....haha.....today is tuesday April 18th....went to my surgeon and looked at the MRI results....i have a meniscus tear..... i dont really kno the big words for it....i just kno that on the mri film....it looked like a piece of pie....and the pointy top quarter was torn......now i read that if its torn in the iner part of the knee it does not heal on its own.....i am only 19 years old and am turning 20 in may....i am very athletic and i was wondering if i should go for surgery...im not really afraid of having surgery.....im scared of not recovering fast enough and not being able to do the things i love....also i was wondering if anyone had any time approximations of how long they were not allowed to be physical..........thanks sooo much everyone....

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
Re: surgery or no surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 01:55:59 AM »
I am going through a similar problem. That could probably be dealt with a scope surgery which is minamally invasive. Im going in for an MRI on the 26th and i will schedule my surgery there but my doc said that it would be 3 to 4 months before i could go back to my regular activities. I hope that helped!!!
                     ~Chelsea~
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 02:38:18 AM »
My daughter had about 10% of the lateral meniscus removed at age 13 after a few months of PT.  She was a club soccer player.  She is now almost 18, has had no knee problems or swelling.  SHe returned to club soccer 6 months post-op, played 3 years in high school, ran cross-country 3 years, track 3 years and varsity alpine ski team 4 years.  Many years ago I did not have a menical tear resected and after 18 months of athletics i had to have the surgery and I had not helped my knee.

Arthroscopic procedures are routine and the vast majority of people have good results and resume virtually all activitiese.  I am hedging as everyone is a bit different and there are, of course no guarantees.  I have been back to full activity in 4 weeks after a partial menisectomy with the OS release.  I have been able to do ROM  on a stationary bike by the 3-4th post op day until I had my HTO, but that is another story.  I refereed U19 boys premier 27 days post op.  If you want to play basketball, soccer or other sports with similar knee demands it may be a bit longer but as I said most people do quite well.

Good luck........Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 05:03:08 AM »
here's a good web site to start with:

http://steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/treat.asp

basically, if you are pain free with no locking after a few months post-injury you can skip surgery.

check out some of the books on the home page, lower left: http://kneeguru.co.uk/
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 02:42:14 AM »
jb-knee-geek gave you a great place to start so check it out.  Talk to your OS and get a second opinion if you are not comfortable with the first.  There are indications for surgical consideration that may or may not apply other than locking.  The MRI should help and a skilled OS will do a manula exam that will provide a great deal of information.  Pain waxes and wanes as people adjust to what is going on.

Do check out the Steadman-Hawkins sit eand the ionformation here.
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result