Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: new to board...want to know about patella realignment experiences  (Read 556 times)

Offline burrenwind

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Has anyone had any experience with patella realignment? I'm 33, in relatively good health, but not a super athlete, female,and have been living with a left knee that 'pops' or buckles under pressure (i.e, when I run, or step badly), since I was a teenager. I wore a brace when exercising, but recently, it popped again, and I went to a ortho surgeon who recomended realignment surgery and maybe reattaching my lateral ligaments to replace overstretched ligaments(I've done PT for several weeks). She seems to think it is the only way to get back to my active lifestyle if I don't want to get arthritis in my 50's and deal with reduced activity. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm so glad this board is here!!!!

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
Re: new to board...want to know about patella realignment experiences
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 01:21:42 AM »
Hi

I've just had one done and I've got one to go.

Check out my post op diary if you like. I've gone thru my experiences there. If you have any questions just post them and I'll do my best to help :-)

Brigitta

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: new to board...want to know about patella realignment experiences
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:16:58 AM »
hello!!

first off, welcome to the board!! :D

i'm 18 right now and had my first realignment when i was 17.  i've had the Fulkerson's TTT (form of realignment) on both knees along with having other surgeries for my knee problems.  feel free to ask any questions that you have before surgery.  this is a great group to ask your questions to so don't be afraid.  instead of typing out all my post op etc. i can just give you the links to my post op diaries if that's alright!! 

My first TTT:  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=13606.0

My second TTT: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=16335.0

best of luck!!
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)