Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Grrrrrr NHS waitng lists  (Read 840 times)

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Grrrrrr NHS waitng lists
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:15:36 AM »
I've been on the list for an ACLr for just over 3 months now so I was very excited to get a letter with my health trust postmark on it on Saturday. I opened it thinking that it may contain a date or instructions on how to organise one but alas no. It was a letter and questionaire saying you have been on the list for a while, can we take you off it?
 ::)
Oh and if you don't reply within 3 weeks they take you off it anyway!
Needless to say it's back in the post this morning, don't want to be bumped off the list by accident.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
Re: Grrrrrr NHS waitng lists
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:45:54 AM »
If I were you, Id phone the department who sent the letter and confirm verbally that you wish to remain on the list, just to make absolutley sure they get the right info from you..... you never know, the reply letter could go missing in the post or something :-\
At the same time, you could quiz them about the length of time you have to wait, and if you are able, you can tell them you are available at short notice.

Good luck,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline shazbrown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:41:16 AM »
Dear Charliemouse

Here's one for you.   My husband needed a hip replacement and to cut a long story short decided to have it done in Belgium which took a couple of weeks to set up and another couple of weeks for him to have it done and return home.  The day he returned home he received a letter from our local NHS hospital advising him that the OS list was very long and they were putting him on the list to go on the list to see the surgeon.   How's that for getting round long waiting lists - all targets met but of course the list of people to go on the waiting list doesn't appear anywhere!

Needless to say, he cancelled!   I expect he'd still be waiting if he hadn't gone to Belgium.

Sharon
Drain Removal  27/8/05
TKR LK 23/8/05
Arthroscopy LK 05/05
Arthroscopy LK 12/04
Arhtroscopy RK 2000
Arthroscopy and Cyclops Lesion removal RK 2000
ACL RK 2000
Arthroscopy RK 2000

Offline ElleCarumba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »
I have obviously been very lucky!

I waited 6 months for my TTT (and 7 months for an MRI prior to that) and then had the op on the NHS but in a BUPA hospital (very swish it was too
That was at the beginning of Feb.

I saw the Surgeon for a check up a few weeks ago and he said he was going to put me on the waiting list to haev the same op on the other leg. He said the list was about 6 months long which would be perfect as I have plans this summer so don't want it until late Sept and he doesn't want me to have it until then to ensure the other one is back to full strength.

Imagine my suprise when I got a letter saying I was at the top of the waiting list and could I phone to arrange a time for the op, which had to be sometime within the next 6 to 8 weeks. I thought perhaps they didn't register I had had the op at the BUPA hospital, instead of the local NHS one. So I phoned today and it wasn't that after all. I've got to the top of the waiting list for the next op! I am still on crutches however so the receptionist laughed and said she would put a note on my case to push me back down the list and schedule it for late Sept instead. I guess not many people to phone up to demand to be on the waiting list for longer!

Anyway, the waiting list for TTTs in my area appears to be about a month now! Very strange indeed! I don't understand how it works at all.
I haven't even recieved the letter you get to say you are now on the waiting list yet! usually that bit comes first.

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
I was lucky for the first scope, 2 weeks from seeing the consultant to having the scope (although it did take me from June to August to actually get to see a consultant and that was a private appointment), he was less than impressed that I hadn't been referred through as urgent a lot sooner and put me in a cancellation slot on his NHS list (which I am very greatful for).
I don't mind really mind the wait for the aclr (although of course I would have liked it to be done yesterday ;) ) as at the end of the day I'm not in constant pain and I can walk OK now so I know I'm not an urgent case. I've been quite lucky on the giving way side of things too but I haven't really pushed my luck too much, just stuck to plenty of walking and cycling. The NHS direct site says it's a 5 month wait in my area and it will be 4 months on Saturday so hopefully it won't be long now ;D

harry78

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 02:21:51 PM »
Hi there,

Yes it does take the p***! I had to wait for around 6 months for my ACLR and in that time I think the articular cartlidge degenerated somewhat due to the rubbing of the condyles on the meniscus.
It really is poor but having said that, it was damn worth having the surgery because I would'nt be a happy man at the moment. Try not to aggravate the knee ain any way.

Harry.

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 02:32:31 PM »
I can sympathise. When I eventually got referred to an OS things started to happen more quickly. I saw the OS and had MRI the same day (NHS!) then had a couple of month wait for an arthroscopy on the NHS as a cancellation. I am having the ACLR done privately next week. It's going to cost a fortune (5000 to be precise) and I could have had this particular surgeon on the NHS but I would have had to wait another 6 months. Plus with my job I can't just take loads of time off at the drop of a hat, so decided to go private so I can plan it better.

Robin
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 03:27:48 PM »
Hi Charliemouse, I soooo know how you feel, hope this helps.....

The start date of your wait is not form the day that you see your OS but from the date on the letter you receive stating that you are now on the waiting list (cheeky sods!) Also the letter you ahve received about still wanting to be on the waiting list is a standard issue letter (I was told to expect one) that they send out around or just after the 3 month mark. Government guidelines stipulate that surgery must be inside 6 months or the trust will be fined, which is why some people are sent to private hospitals because it's cheaper to do that than pay the fines! So...going by this information you shouldnt have too much longer to wait. I was advised of this by the admissions office and my OS's secretary.

I am at the 3 months mark next week but have after numerous phone calls managed to bring forward my pre-assessment apt (when they re-xray, take bloods explain everything etc) so I am available for surgery at short notice.

Wishing you the very best of luck.

Hop  ;D

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 11:50:29 AM »
I had sussed that one about the date on the letter but it was only 4 days after my app when I persuaded them to put me on the list...original idea was they send me away and see me again in 3 months and then put me on the list. Fortunately I persuaded them otherwise hence being at 4 months on the list now rather than 1 :)
If it was stopping me from working I would have a chat with the hospital of my choice and see if I could get a payment plan worked out (they want your business after all) as it would probably cost more in lost wages in the end.
This is partly why I went for the private consult last year as I had lost my job and just couldn't afford not to get it at least partially sorted.

Offline jm2406

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:06:25 PM »
ive been through hell with the nhs; however i discovered this little known information.

you can volounteer to be on a cancellations list: if you do so, then you will be phoned at very short notice asking if you want your surgery doing, if someone else cancels. ive done this twice: both times, i had surgery within 2 weeks of knowing i needed it, and in each case i was given around 24 hours notice.

obviously this isn't convenient for everyone. but, if you have understanding employers and life permits, it's worth doing.

jim

support