Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: After TTT knee probs  (Read 996 times)

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
After TTT knee probs
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:01:05 AM »
Hi guys

I had my TTT about 2 months ago now and I am still having quite a bit of pain in my knee.

Did anyone else still have pain at this time or is it because it's getting cold here now and that's making them hurt?

thanks
Brigitta

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: After TTT knee probs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:21:33 AM »
Hi Brigitta,

I may well be that the cold weather is affecting your knee, and maybe even moreso than usual because of your recent surgery. You don't describe what type of pain you're experiencing. 2 months out from TTT surgery is not a long time and it can take much longer to regain strength, flexibility and to deal with or get rid of the pain.
If you think it's to do with the weather then continue with your rehab regime as normal but wrap your knee up to keep it warm - be careful not to allow it to swell though but if it does then RICE.
If you're not certain of the pain or thing there is something not right then really you should go back to your OS asap to see if there's anything else going on with your knee that he should deal with.
I had pain for a long time after my TTT surgery but it was partly to do with trying to do too much too soon.
What kind of pain is it? Is it constant? Is it worse at night? Is it aggravated by certain activities/conditions?
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 03:42:28 PM »
Hi Brigitta

You were doing so well, sorry to hear you're hurting. Hope you get it sorted.

Hop x

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 05:34:12 PM »
Hi Brigitta~

i started getting pains a few months after both my TTTs. for the most part, it was due mainly because i was pushing myself a little too hard too soon and also in combination with the cold weather.  my right knee (TTT #1) ended up getting loads better once i let myself take the time to really heal and get better.  i never had troubls with it, besides the point that my screws were really irritating me.  as for my left, i had to have another surgery to take out the screws and also clean up the TTT site because i guess it had gotten pretty rough for some reason.  i really hadnt heard of this happening to anyone around here...right now i feel just great so it must have helped.

it could be numerous things i feel...from weather changes, physcial activity, or something else going on in the joint.  i'd really suggest just icing and resting up as much as you can.  if things continue to stay bad or get worse i'd highly advise just getting it checked out by your OS...better safe than sorry.

best of luck!
~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 01:10:36 AM »
Hi guys

Thanks for your kind words.

The pain is more of an ache and also a sharper pain under my kneecap. The screws ache and also for some weird reason the back of my knee has a tired ache (does that make sense?).

I think it's because I'm doing too much. I was really going so well and pushing so hard, my physio and surgeon were so happy with my progress and I was feeling so good that I think I thought I could do more than I should have. On the weekend we went away and I did our usual big walk up this cliff face then up this massive hill plus a big walk on the soft sand at the beach every day. Then Monday I went to the gym and did weights on it and then went for a bike ride..........lol........after writing it down no wonder I'm hurting! I really wanted to push it hard though so my right leg (the one that hasn't been chopped yet) got a good workout too. Guess I'm not Superwoman after all! lol........damn I'm so impatient though...I hate being injured and not being able to do all the things that i want to...it's really bugging me!

I rested it yesterday and did nothing on it and it does feel a lot better this morning. Now I have to get back to the gym and keep doing weights on my other leg to get it ready for next Wednesday when it gets the big chop!

Ok so now I have my list of things my knees don't like:
cold weather
long car drives
long movies
too much exercise
Screws

I'm going to get the screws taken out as soon as I can after my next surgery so I'm sure that will help.

thanks
Brigitta

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »
Hey Brigitta!!

In my opinion you aren't doing that bad! Ok you might have overdone a little  ;) Just do as mandy says and give it time to heal!
I wondered about all the things you wonder now too. I wanted to have the screws removed, did all my research but guess what... they are still with me.. in the knee ;) My knee is fine, I can walk for miles, run like a mad woman, hike, cycle, jump, I do speleology from time to time (and I mean the real thing, not just walking in and out a cave ;D)...
Give it time, I mean it, I couldn't believe it back then but now I am the happiest girl in town!  ;D ::)

Hope you find the right answers!

Hugs

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support