Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Went to the Orthopedic -- NOTHING  (Read 973 times)

Offline lillykim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • I love the Simpsons!!
Went to the Orthopedic -- NOTHING
« on: April 08, 2003, 09:05:59 PM »
Ok, So I went to the OS today.  All they did was give me a knee pad (that ban that keeps the patella from hurting)  which I did not think I even needed and said nothing to me about my MRI results!  I am extremely frustrated.  In good faith I have worn the ban but there still is painful popping and the band does really nothing for me.  I had asked the OS about the meniscus issue and he had said that when you reach about your 20s it begins to naturally break down?  Is that right?  I always thought that any degeneration at an early age was not good!!  Then he told me that the whole in the femoral condyle was in the back (posteriorly) and siad that there is not much they could do for it with out ripping open my leg.  Long story short, my knee is still bothering me.  What should I do?  I have been going to PT for about a month with no improvement.  Should I wait longer or get a second opinion? :'(

Here is what my MRI had said:
Medial meniscus has linear signal abnormalities in the body and posterior horn without involvement of the superior or inferioe articulated surface.  Intrasubstance degenration.  
Minimal fluid is noted
A focal area of intermediate signal abnormality is noted within the medial facet cartiladge of the patella
A focal area of intermediate  signal abnormality is also noted within the cartiladge of the medial femoral condyle posteriorly.  The defect is 8mm and is less intense than fluid.
If someone would be able to help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it!!  THANK YOU  

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Went to the Orthopedic -- NOTHING
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 11:58:00 PM »
 i understand your frustration. i think we all deal with it at some evel. tho i do not have exact thing you have , i do have some similarities. i cut a piece of my femoral condyle off as well as all meniscus and underlying and overlying cartiladge.  mri's are not always the answer to the problem   and xrays and cat scans do not always reveal the problem. if you were not happy with your ortho, go to another. give your knee rest, very important , and communicate with dr all you aches and pains. what one surgeon doesn't see another may.  i am going to have my cartiladge replaced with lab grown, an option for you? maybe. keep your spirits and do not settle until you feel good about what results may be.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline lillykim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I love the Simpsons!!
Re: Went to the Orthopedic -- NOTHING
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 03:28:57 AM »
How did they remove the femoral condyle?  Was is the front or back of the FC?  Do you have chondromalcia?  I faxed my MRI to a Doc (who happens to be a family friend) and when he looked at it his diagnosis was Chondromalcia Patella and injury to medial femoral condyle posteriorly.

support