Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Natural Cartilege Regrowth?  (Read 736 times)

Offline BigMafia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Natural Cartilege Regrowth?
« on: April 18, 2006, 06:46:52 AM »
I tore about a 1cm hole in my cartilege back in Sept 05  (on the articular connected to the femur, in the back, I think it was weight-bering).  Had athroscopic surgery in Oct 05, which was supposed to be microfracture but the legion was too big for that.  So I ended up getting OATS (allograph, i.e. donor bone/cartillege) in Feb of 06.

After the surgery the doc told me that a layer of cartilege had regrown itself over the whole.  Said it was type-2 (i think) cartilege, I forget the name he called it, either fibro-catilege or micro-cartilage.  Said it was a thin layer and eventually would've worn itself out.

I thought this was kind of interesting b/c I stayed relatively active between the two surgeries.  No running or anything, but I shot jumpshots 6x a week, usually 200 or so a day, and some light jogging in between shots (real light).  Plus I did 12 or so miles on an excersize bike 4x a week.  So I stayed pretty active.  Everyonce in a while when I turned wrong, I'd get a twinge with a burning sensation, but not too often, and actually that was only at the beginning.  The reason I brought this up was because I heard in order for this to happen, there would have to be inactivity.

So my question is, how common is this?  

Yeah I should've asked the doc, but forgot to.  I'll try to bring it up at my next visit.

One other note: I had been taking about 1000 mg of glucosamine a day the 2 years prior to this injury so maybe that helped.  Anyways the recovery has been going well so far.  Wow was that a painful surgery.

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Natural Cartilege Regrowth?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 01:11:30 PM »
It's called fibrocartilage, or scar tissue cartilage.  It's basically the body forming a "scab" over the hole.  And frankly, this is what is produced with microfracture.  As to it being possible if you were active - my personal opinion is that when we are active the body is better able to handle a lot of things.  Active people tend to be happier, and happier people are less likely to notice pain, or focus on it.  Active people have stronger muscles, which help prevent the bones from rubbing.  Activity produces synovial fluid, which lubricates the joint.  So why would your body not try to heal itself when you are active? 

Good luck in your recovery-
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

support