Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I can't do normal things anymore!!!!!!  (Read 4324 times)

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: I can't do normal things anymore!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 01:37:17 PM »
I do the same thing. Everything always seems to come crashing down around "that time". But everything is going to be ok. You will do fine. Just remember that you have so many people on your side. And speaking as a mother, I wouldn't suggest wearing heals for awhile cause you could really get hurt. They have some really cute flats out this season! You should check them out!

Laura

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 06:07:17 PM »
Chelsea...
most of us get at least a LITTLE emotional during that time... some more so than others (I think i'm a more so  ::)).  Glad to see you looking up a bit more... as far as shoes (and this is just what i've noticed) - out of the 40 or so teenage to early twenties women I know at my church that dress well (there's plenty that dress like me, with a sort of who-cares-if-i-fit-in attitude), probably 30 or so of them are wearing flats this spring.  Yes, the heels look sharp, but some of the flats are better than the heels (in my uneducated opinion).  The only reason my opinion should count here is cuz I'm not talking about me, but rather the people who "dress well" that i know...
Anyway, keep us posted.  We're here for you, and when you move, we're not goin' anywhere.  Same place as always...
1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 10:46:24 PM »
I usually have that sort of who-cares-if-i-fit-in attitude but it was Easter sunday so i felt like i should dress nice. Church is really the only place i wear high heels. At school i usually wear converse which are about as flat as you can get ;D. Thanks Mama Laura ;D I appreciate you looking out for me ;)!!! Thanks for being here for me guys....thats something i really need right now!!!
           ~Chelsea~
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 03:08:12 AM »
Laura,
You remind me so much of my mom its scary :o!!! So im giving you the privalage of being my KneeGeeks mother ;D!!! In the name of the pope whose name i dont know i knight thee Mama Laura my official kneegeeks mom!!! :D
              ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 03:52:01 PM »
Thank you . I am honored.  ;) But if anyone asks, I am your older sister....lol

Laura

Offline hmfc5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »
I had my first knee surgery at 16 years old. It is definitely scary, but I am sure everything will work out. I injured my knee playing soccer at ODP camp. I was able to play soccer 6 weeks after the surgery and continued to play all the way through college. I have had 3 surgeries since and continued play. I am now up for an osteotomy and will be finished with soccer for good, but that is an extreme case. I am 25 now and have enjoyed 9 years of great soccer after my first surgery.

Good luck.
 :)Heather

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 09:53:33 PM »
What surgery was your first surgery Heather? Im having a scope and my doc said that i cant do any strenuos activity for three to four months!!! I thought that a scope was i minor surgery!!! :-\ Laura youre no longer my mom now youre my sissy if that makes you feel better :-* ;D
                  ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 11:35:22 PM »
Too funny! What ever you want dear is fine with me.

Laura ;D ;)

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2006, 01:16:14 AM »
I know this is totally out of the ordinary but im requesting a special prayer for my knee. Every saturday i play two soccer games and ref like five and i usually have a lot of trouble with my knee being the way it is :-\. Usually by the end of the day my coach has to carry me to my car cause i cant walk anymore!!! :'( Im in so much pain throughout the day that i take like three ibuprofen, two tylenol, two alleve, and two advil at the same time to get effective pain releif and not overdose!!!  So please pray that my kneebrace is effective and that my knee holds out!!!
              ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2006, 01:33:21 AM »
Hey Chelsea,

I'm sorry you're having to put up with so much grief from your knee. I didn't have surgery on my knee until I was 28, although the original injury was when I was 14.
I'm praying for you - not only that your knee brace is effective, but that you won't need it for too much longer.

Here's sending you prayers, hugs, good vibes and anything else to make your knee better.

Take care,

Laura x

PS The current Pope is Benedict XVIth.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 02:09:03 AM »
Chelsea,

I hope that the knee brace helps you so that you can enjoy soccer while waiting surgery.  Just take it easy and maybe only do half of the games so that you are not in so much pain at the end of the day.  I understand the severe pain as I still have it everyday, but please be careful taking so much medicine at the same time.  Unless you have a doctor that said it is ok for you to take that much.  I just say this because it seems that you are taking 3 of the same type of medicine at the same time.  Advil is a brand name for ibuprofen, together with Aleve (naproxen sodium) are both NSAIDs (non steroid anti-inflammatory) which are processed by the body in similar manners.  No matter what always take the NSAIDs with food so that they do not bother your stomach.  Just be careful with the meds because I don't want you to end up like me who tried every combination of things and too much of some in order to stop the pain and ended up with an ulcer and now have to be very careful about what I take.  I don't want to scare you, but just to let you know. 

I hope that you can enjoy your weekends and that the surgery will help you so that you can be a carefree teenager again.  And, flats are very in now, from a shoe lover who gave up heels and now live in flats.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 02:36:27 AM »
Hi Chelsea,

I know how you feel too. I'm 17 and have had surgery on both my knees.

I just wanted to add on to what Amy said about the meds. I used to take up to 12 Advil per day to try to control my pain. Now, I'm left with chronic stomach pain, most likely due to an ulcer, but I'm still trying to get that diagnosed. So, just please be careful!!

I wanted to wish you luck on Saturday too. I know all too well what it's like to be so active, yet in so much pain. Maybe try to ice your knee periodically throughout the day if you have a chance.

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2006, 09:17:18 PM »
sending prayers and hugs!!!

Laura ;)

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2006, 01:01:20 AM »
I just got done with my soccer games. My knee didnt hold out :'(!!! I was playing my second game when i got kicked and with my great luck (couch cough) it was a kick to the knee :'(!!! A girl was coming down the feild and that gave me two descisions. One, natural girl instinct: GET OUT OF THE WAY!!! And then i had my soccer instinct: run at it, try to stop it and hope for the best!!! Well soccer instinct took over and i ran at the ball. I was right in front of the girl and she kicked it. SMACK THWACK!!! I was down for the count. When the girl kicked the ball, the ball hit my upper thigh and her leg followed through the ball and hit my knee. As i was rolling around in pain my coach ran onto the field. He looked me over, then carried me off the field. He gave me to my parents, who took me to get it xrayed. After looking at the xrays, the doc said that i didnt hurt it at all. Luckily i was hit on my osgood schlatters bump which sheltered my knee from the kick. He said at worst it was probably twisted. So now im sporting a bruise that has the imprint of the soocer ball on it. It looks like i got i purple tatoo of a soccer ball on my thigh ;D. Looks like im going to be doing RICE for a while. I just hope the swelling goes down before my appointment on wednesday!!! :-\
                  ~Chelsea~
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2006, 03:11:27 PM »
Chelsea,

Sorry that you hurt yourself in soccer.  Try to take it easy for a few days to rest it.  It will be ok if there is still some swelling when you go to the doctor on wednesday.  In fact it is sometimes helpful for them to see you knee close to the condition so that they can understand more of what happens when you do what you want to do.  Hopefully your OS will have an idea of what to do to help you on wednesday.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

support