Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: mri scan, and the radioligist, please advise  (Read 982 times)

Offline dancingbrave

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
mri scan, and the radioligist, please advise
« on: April 17, 2006, 10:52:31 PM »
Hi all,
       looking for some help, i recently had an mri scan done on my knee and was looking for a bit of feedback. The person speaking thru the intercom while the scan is getting done, is this the radioligist or just an assistant doing their job. The reason i ask is while i the scan was being done i was informed that "just a cpl more pics to go" i was told via the intercom. However after the last one was taken i was informed that "another image/closer one had to be taken" anyway something to that effect.

Should i note any particlar signifigance to this, ie is this a trained eye (radioligist) likely to see things and look closer as the scans are being done. Is this the person who will prepare the findings of the scan?

Or possibly am i being paranoid? and the radioligist is not even present.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

regards

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: mri scan, and the radioligist, please advise
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:12:01 PM »
Hello Dancingbrave,

Generally the person performing the MRI is just a radiological technician and is not trained on the full interpretation of the images. In most cases, they are trained to look for certain things to ensure that the images are clear and readable, but that's about as far as it goes. I've had several MRI's and I think the 'couple pics to go' comments are just to put at ease that it's almost over. I've even had the 'sorry that's not the last one, let's take one more pic of this or that.' I think they tell you so you don't start moving too soon. All the images are calibrated off the position you are in when the first image was taken, if you move at any point during the process it can throw the whole thing off. I wouldn't place any special significance on anything the technologist said.

Your films will be read and interpreted by a radiologist. This person is an MD who is specifically trained to interpret MRI and other radigraphic images.

You're not being paranoid; this is probably an unsettling time for you. I think it's perfectly normal to be ill at ease until you receive the actual findings and review them with your OS.

Best wishes.

Jaci
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:18:44 PM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline skigal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »
Hi,  My OS ordered an MRI after I heard the grand pop as I fell skiing.  He indicated that he would look it over, but that the final authority would be the radiologist who would review the film and send a report over in four days.  Just after the MRI, my OS, in consult with the radiology tech who performed the MRI said he thought it looked fine - just a sprain.  He quoted the rad tech as seeing some slack in my ligaments but no tears.  So whopppee.  Then four days later my OS called my home at 8:00 am - he was very somber and informed me that the radiologist's report showed a complete rupture of the ACl - he even used the word shredded.  So the moral of the story is -wait for the real radiologists' report, they are trained to see what others can't.  I am recovering fro reconstruction surgery as I write this.  Good luck.  Ski gal

Offline dancingbrave

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:35:10 PM »
Thanks very much for both posts back, your information basically answered my questions. Thank you so very much.

Kind Regards

Dancingbrave

support