Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Time for a TKR?  (Read 772 times)

Offline MaryKarenK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Time for a TKR?
« on: April 17, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »
How do you know when it is time for a TKR?  Of course, the doc has a big part in that decision, but what is the experience of the people at this site? At 58, I have had moderate arthritis for 40 years.  I had by knee scoped 5 years ago, and found some improvement for a year or two.  I have had a variety of injections, such as synvics, with limited improvement.  I have had the usual course of anti-inflammatories.   I used to be able to walk 3-5 miles a day, but now can only manage a mile or so with pretty much discomfort and much limping.  I dread climbing the stairs to do the normal chores of my day, and put off, or don't take part in, many activities that I used to enjoy.  My questions are these:  How did you know the time was right for a TKR, and where you happy with the outcome of the surgery?  Did the surgery solve your problems, or did you just trade old ones for new?  What do you wish you had known about the outcome that you had no knowledge of beforehand?  Thanks for any help you can give me!

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: Time for a TKR?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 04:45:05 PM »
Hey,

I think for a surgery as major as a TKR you'll know yourself whether you need one or not. Has your doctor told you you have to have this done? Are there no alternatives ie. PFJR, TTT, etc?
It seems strange that you would consider a TKR without having considered other options first.
Personally I have not had a TKR, I'm still working my way up to it. Others on this site would be able to give you far more specific information frrom their own experiences.
Have you tried looking at the arthritis section?

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline MaryKarenK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 04:58:27 PM »
Well, I think my doc believes that a TKR is the way I will need to go when the time comes.  The surgeon who did my scope seemed to feel the same way.  But, I see that you have a point re: some other options.  I will be sure to find out more about those you have suggested.  Thanks for your help.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 05:47:11 PM »
do you know if your damage is limited to one compartment or is it over the entire joint? Checking out other options is a great idea. I wish you luck

I have not had a TKR but I am in a clinical trial for a new type of PKR.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia