Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: another surgery needed?  (Read 659 times)

Offline sarahFH10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
another surgery needed?
« on: April 17, 2006, 04:44:01 AM »
On August 26, 2005 I tore my ACL and medial meniscus playing college field hockey.  Then on December 21, 2005 (about 4 months after the injury) I had ACL reconstruction surgery.  My surgeon told me that he examined my meniscus during the surgery and he said that nothing had to be done with it.  Itís now been almost 4 months since the surgery and I am getting a lot of pain in the same location where I tore my meniscus.  This pain comes when Iím walking up and down stairs, doing squats, when using the leg press, when I sit for a long time, etc.  I also still don't have full extension and flexion in my knee.  Iím worried that my meniscus isnít healing on itís own.  OR could it be that itís healing on itís own, but itís just inflamed?  Is there a chance that itís still torn and I would need another surgery?

Can anyone tell me what the chances are I'll need another surgery?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
8-26-05†  ACL and meniscus tear
12-21-05†  ACL reconstruction
5-24-06    Meniscus Repair

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • OSCAR
Re: another surgery needed?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 02:40:15 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I haven't had the same problems you're referring to, but I think you should go straight back to your OS, sooner rather than later. He should be able to give you a definnite diagnosis and hopefully eventually a long term prognosis if you're lucky.
He can perform a series of clinical and diagnostic test to find out what's wrong, so insist upon these if you're not being offered them.
It's YOUR knee and you have the right to have this sorted out. After all, you have to live with it, and no doctor can tell you there's nothing right if you know there is. We know our own knees better than anyone. If you're not happy with the naswers you get from your oS, maybe your should seek a second opinion.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)