Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 years on  (Read 659 times)

Offline sportsmad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
2 years on
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:18:50 PM »
Hi all
    Not been on for a while but thought i'd let you know how i'm doing. Had oxinium knee in 2004 aged 42 and i must say it's the best thing i have done. All the pain has gone and i can now lead a virtually normal life. Play with kids and golfing 2 to 3 times a week. Know i will have to have my knee reviewed at some point in the future but at present am living life to the full and enjoying every minute. Anyone who is in 2 minds about a knee replacement  at youngish age, i can only say from my experience that it was thebest decision i could have made.
                                                                                       Good luck to all

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: 2 years on
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 11:32:36 PM »
Thanks so much for posting your success story!  I think there are a lot of people struggling with the idea of a TKR before age 50 who will be helped by it.  I recognize your name, but can't recall your story.  Would you mind adding a little detail about your knee journey?  Like how long you've had problems, what they were, any past surgeries, the decision to have TKR and what your alternatives were, and any information about your rehab/recovery would probably encourage someone in a similar situation to explore this option.  As you probably know, many folks are told by their surgeons that they need a TKR, but are 'too young.'  So it may be necessary to find another doctor--did you have to do that?

Anyway, I think it's great that you have your life back.  That in itself is a huge encouragement to continue pushing for answers.  Take care.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support