Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Iontophoresis  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Talli05

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Iontophoresis
« on: April 16, 2006, 08:14:06 AM »
Hey Everyone,
      I was looking for some information on Iontophoresis as I've been having this done at physical therapy lately on my IT Band. I found that the first time I got some relief but the second and third time I've done it I haven't noticed any decrease in pain and quite possibly an increase, I'm not certain if that increase in pain is because of the iontophoresis but at this point it doesn't seem to be giving me any relief. I also noticed that on the area I've been having it done, that its kind of purple colored, its only a slight discoloration but I didn't have it the first time so I was thinking maybe that coloring had something to do with the increase in pain. I'm not that educated in this particular therapy, so I would appreciate any advice and/or articles about the effects of Iontophoresis. Thanks in advance.
2 surgeries dedicated to plica removal. 1 to remove scar tissue in my left knee. And another “pie crusting” of my IT Band. As of 2012 I am still not recovered.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Iontophoresis
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 12:30:33 PM »
Soccerblond,

Hi there.  Reading your post, I wondered if you might be having an allergic reaction to the meds used in this process.  Might be why you have had the irritation of the skin and feel that the second and third session did not work.
This articles speaks about skin irritation reactions and advises the use of topical cortisone cream to help relieve symptoms.

http://www.bcm.edu/dermatology/?PMID=1855

Maybe talk to your therapist about this also. 

Good luck.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 12:46:31 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 01:37:24 PM »
Soccergirl, 

I had this treatment on my patella tendon when I had a flare up of tendonitis.  I had 8 treatments of it but unfortunatly never had any pain relief from it.  The area treated used to get really red with small bumps.  I found that the cortisone cream helped to reduce the irritation from either the glue on the pads or the medicine.  I didn't have much of an increase in pain during the treatment so i don't know if your pain could be related to the treatment or not.  I would talk to your therapist and see what they think about the pain and irritation.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »
I had this treatment after my proximal reallignment surgery.  I had a considerate amount of pain above and below my kneecap.  We started with the top of the knee first.  After the second treatment, I started noticing redness and pimply like bumps where the medicine was.  Evidentally I was burned or had the current up too much and so that was the end of that on that particular spot.  We went ahead and did the lower part of the knee can it turned out a little better.  I got some relief, but not much.  It was never long lasting.

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline Tanya71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • When does it get better? :)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 02:22:34 AM »
I had ionto for tendonitis (pes tendons - medial side below the knee). the first 2-3 proved effective in knocking down some of the pain noticeably. after that, the pain relief from the ionto seemed minimal and i was put on an ibuprofen/tylenol cocktail that finished off the tendonitis - that one part of my recovery at least seems to be ok for now. the ionto did discolor my skin like in some of the previous posts - red bumps when the medication pad was. my skin was also irritated by the adhesive on the ionto patch - looks a little reddish and scaley. a little mild lotion (mixed with a couple drops of lavender oil - a natural soothing disinfectant) has calmed this reaction down.

it should be noted too that i was also receiving ultrasound with cortisone cream in addition to the ionto. my pt today said after 8-9 treatments, it's probably done all it's going to do for you.

hope that helps!
8/05 Fall. MRI:Fibular fx,sprains/strains. OS says chondromalacia/poss meniscus prob
10/05 Start PT
1/06 Bone scan (neg)
2/06 Rt knee scope-partial meniscectomy/plica resection
2/06 St PT
7/06 Change OS
8/06 St aquatic therapy
10/06 DonJoy TruPull brace
11/06 Released PT, home PT
Patellar pain STILL

support