Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: high tibial osteotomy  (Read 694 times)

Offline camorris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
high tibial osteotomy
« on: April 15, 2006, 01:19:05 PM »
I have just been told I need an HTO, microfracture and ACL reconstruction on my right knee,
has anybody had this done. I have had two cartlidge inplants over the last 10 years both
have failed. I am 36 and am fed up with the constant pain.

knee deep in Goo

Re: high tibial osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 01:33:07 PM »
Hi .. I had microfracture in January ...   took a standing xray on monday and the doctor told me .. that I would need an  HTO or PKR.  in the future.  .. my medical joint is bone on bone.. .. I am reading up on both procedures and franky ..  HTO scares me with all the non weight baring time..  .. even after my microfracture i was weight baring as tolerated    .. and so far this is only my right knee...   sometimes i get very scared... .. There is a great post by knee will be great that I have been reading about her recover y ..

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
30 Months Post HTO
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 05:41:02 AM »
Hello Camoris and Knee deep in goo,

I am approaching 30 months post closing wedge HTO and my results have been great.  I was concerned about the NWB, live on a sloped, rural place, stairs etc and itthe NWB was manageable.  At 12 weeks post op I was able to ski enough to see my son and daughter race in the state high school championships, with the OS okay.  At 13 weeks post op I refereed a U15 girls premier soccer match.

I continued increasing activity and resumed refereeing high school, college, youth and amateur men's soccer.  I also am able to ski most any slopes although I am smarter about what I do and how I do it.  I have a friend who just retired as a national college referee who is 18 or 19 years post HTO.I had my hardware removed last June due to pain involving two hamstring tendons rubbing on the medial screw.   This reduced my residual pain significantly.   

The HTO is a temporizing procedure and I elected to have it rather than a UKR.  If I had to make the choice again I would elect to have to HTO.  Based on my radiographs from last week I will need a TKR ut if I can defer that 5 or even 10 years that will be fine.  THe NWB was not that big a deal.  However everyone is different and it is not the right procedure for everyone.

Best of luck in your decision making........................Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result