Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondral Lesion  (Read 1697 times)

Offline soccerdixie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondral Lesion
« on: April 13, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »
Hi Everyone,
 I am rather new to this and just had questions about anyone who has had a chondral lesion and if so how they went about treating it. Thanks.
24 yrs old
arthritis, chondral lesions
scope LKnee 09/06
scope LKnee 01/06
acl reconstruction LKnee12/04
acl reconstruction RKnee 10/02

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Chondral Lesion
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:28:16 PM »
Hi there,

There are treatments available for chondral lesions like microfracture, ACI , OATS & synthetic plugs depending on age, location, & size of lesion.

Check out the 'arthritis section' and read up about these procedures, also check out http://www.cartilagedoc.org/images/splash.jpg for more info.

Here is another article that gives information and treatment options......

http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp

Good luck.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:34:37 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 01:15:19 AM »
I had 2 chondral lesions on my left knee ( medial femoral chondyle) I had two microfractures and then a PKR covering one of the lesions.

what kind of questions do you have?

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 02:39:14 AM »
Treatment may depend on where your chondral lesion is located. Do you have more information?

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline soccerdixie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 05:56:41 AM »
I am not sure of the size. The problem is that I am a division one athlete and I am going into my last year of playing which starts in August. I am only 22 and had both acl's done and on my left knee i just had  scoped in January. Thats were they found my lesion and took out my meniscus since it was shredded.  I am trying to figure out some sort of pain management til after season since all the surgeries seem to have to long of a recovery period.  I have been trying to get back into training but I can't go consecutive days and some days i can barely walk and sleep. Does anyone have any advice for me? thanks
24 yrs old
arthritis, chondral lesions
scope LKnee 09/06
scope LKnee 01/06
acl reconstruction LKnee12/04
acl reconstruction RKnee 10/02

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 06:31:12 PM »
One thing that you could look into is a TENS unit. You could use it before and after the game. Your GP may be able to hook you up with one. It is a machine with little electrodes that you put on your knee. It sends current thru your knee and distracts your brain from the pain. It kind of overloads the brain's pain perceptors for a while. You could talk to your family doc about pain management but that will probably involve medications as well. the TENS unit would not involve any mind altering problems.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 03:35:39 AM »
Hi Soccerdixie,

I am a soccer referee, do college, division one as AR mostly although last year did have one D1 men's intersquad center.  I also do USSF amateur men's first division and i have had many knee surgeries.  If you have virtually any procedure now beyond an arthroscopy it is highly unlikely you will recover in time for the fall season. 

For training purposes you might try hydro based conditioning on alternating days in combination with appropriate pain management.  The university sports doc  and ATC/PT should be able to come up with a plan that may include some meds, a TENS with or without a muscle stim unit to increase strength without as much joint irritation.  You may want to talk with them about a trial with a varus unloading brace.  I used one for 2 years prior to my HTO.  I refereed about 200 matches in each of those years.  In addition, accupuncture is very effective for some people and your athletic department may have an arrangement with a local accupuncturist.  Lastly, it is important to address your disrupted sleep architecture.  This can be addressed through several means and you should talk with the sports medicine doc about that.  Anyway enough for now.  Let me know if you have questions.  Good luck and take care.......Jim

L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

support