Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Still suffering  (Read 971 times)

Offline keenfootballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Still suffering
« on: April 12, 2006, 09:33:56 PM »
Ive posted on here before, however, each time i go away, try a new physio or osteo, i get a new answer leaving me more confused!

Twisted left knee in August 2004. No swelling. Rest and plenty of RICE applied. Started physio/Osteo, seemed to be getting better, just slightly, but there seemed to be a slight jerk and a clicking/scraping sound. Started running, then sprained the same knee via a stretching tackle playing light football, May 2005.

RICE applied again. MRI scan August 2005, revealed nothing major, just wear and tear. Continued with arthoscopy, November 2005 to clean out the joint. Rehab conducted Dec2005-Feb2006 via a professional football club. Worked on strengthening muscles. Started running, slight swelling over the whole knee. Osteo worked on the tight muscles and hamstring and the patella tracking.

After working extremelly hard and being totally committed to the cause i am still down hearted with the progress. Consultants say the MRI scans are ok. Osteo's and physio's have told me different stories. Could be the patella, so that was tracked back.Could be the tendons, so deep tissue massage was conducted. Could be tight hamstrings and quads. Could be the strength. Ive worked hard on everything!

Now im told the rubbing/scrapping sound is the meniscus. Nothing came up during the MRI and nothing was seen during the arthoscopy. Therfore, its left to me to somehow rehabilitate the area around the meniscus. But how do i do so. What should i do. Is there anyway of stopping the jerking/scrapping? I can run, beit uncomfortably, however, movement and twisting is totally out the question. That means football is still a no go area for me.

im very worried as ive had 2 MRI scans and nothing shows as damaged yet the injury is just so obvious. Everyone i have see insists the injury is a minor problem but after nealy 2 years, i have made no real progress what so ever.

Please help and advise.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Re: Still suffering
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 10:00:32 PM »
the only thing I can think of is to seek 2nd opinion(s) from highly qualified knee surgeons with a sports focus.

For rehab, you need to see a qualified PT, who's familiar with knee injuries.

good luck.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 08:41:35 AM »
I would get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. Try and find a highly recommended OS and go for a consultation even if it means going private. A good OS will be able to tell a lot just from a detailed history and thorough exmanation. Don't worry about the MRI, my MRI was inconclusive but an arthroscopy revealed a completely torn ACL. It sounds like something has been missed if you are still in pain. Listen to your body and don;t take no for an answer.

Robin
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline bobbuilder

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:45:13 PM »
Hi Keenfootballer

Sorry to here you are no further forward. Sounds like you do need another opinion in order to take you forward. Having said that I'm stuck in a very similar rut as yourself. Tried all the rehab, add 2 MRI scans - 1 negative, 1 inconclusive and a scope back in Nov by my 1st OS which was all clear. On my 2nd OS and 3rd PT in the last 9 months. All giving me puzzled looks !!!

A few weeks ago I had a u;trasound examin followed by a cortisone injection, which didn't touch the pain on little bit. So after resting the knee to see if the injection worked, I'm back to square one doing some gentle gym work - but still with constant medial pain.

My OS (second one - but one I really trust) is now talking to his radiologist to decide where I go for here. I know he is not keen to go back inside, as there appears nothing on the face of it that he thinks he can find, let alone repair. Should here back from him in the next couple of days - damm Easter weekend will mean another delay. Also my PT is getting me to see his partner for another opinion.

OS talked about referring me on to some big head of sports medicine in London for another opinon. Frankly I'm not sure he can add much, as I've apparently been seen by 2 of the best OS's in the North West as far as footballing knee injuries are concerned.

like you say its all so frustrating. All my tests for meniscus tears have come back negative, although there is a question mark on both  MRI scans which shows some damage to the meniscus but not an obvious tear. Was on the bike today for only 5 mins and the pain felt like something catching in the knee giving me a stinging shark pain a little worse than when the knee is at rest.

I'm going to keep trying to solve this problem, as I really want to get back to sport and football.

Hang in there.

Bob
17 years old
Injured left knee 17 July 05
X-Ray and MRI - Clear as day
Arthroscopy 8th Nov 05 - perfect knee
Arthroscopy 9th May 06 - medial plica removal

Offline keenfootballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for your kind words of advice. I really am struggling to find an answer to the pain im suffering. I've seen a total of 3 different consultants, 4 different physios and 2 different Osteopaths. Some private and some via the NHS. Ive also had 2 MRI scans. Its just so frustrating and annoying! However, i've kept going, doing as each expert has said. The common answer has been to strengthen the quads. After nearly 2 years of doing so, i sure think it cant be the answer! Im currently waiting on an appointment to see a sports knee ijury consultant, but as usual, ive been on the list for ages and still waiting.

The knee in question is painful at certain angles. It clicks and jerks ito place. Strength wise, it is nearly as strong as the right side. I can push 80kg via a leg press with just the one leg so its not a question of muscles! Scans have come up clean, and all people i have seen insist the ligaments seem good.

Anyhow, i have another appointment arranged for this Thursday to see a new Osteopath. Hopefully, he has seen something similar in his 25 year career and can be of assistance.

In the meantime take care

Offline keenfootballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 07:16:48 PM »
Hi all

Today i had the results of yet another MRI scan i had recently. Its odd how the consultant seems to have now picked up on a slight tear to the ACL and to one of the meniscus. After 2 previous scans, i find it somewhat surprising that the findings were some how missed before.

Anyhow, i will have to go under the knife yet again in a few months. Hopefully, this time, the problem can be fixed.

Takecare

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 08:05:41 PM »
Hey!
 I am sorry to hear of all the things you have had to go through. I think most of us have all had the same kind of problems. Great for you that you have stuck to it and finally found out what is going on. They (OS) seem like your imagining things alot when you know there is something going on. I have that going on. I hope once this next op is over you will have the releif you need. Keep it up
BikerSmurf.
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 08:49:21 PM »
hey keen, sorry to hear of what you've been through.

MRI scans are often misread, leading to poor diagnosis. I've read upwards of 25% of the time.

see here: http://steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/diag.asp

What's surpriing is they missed the ACL/meniscus tear when they did a 'scope? That's hard to believe.

Hopefully, you've found someone with lots of expereince to give you confidence.

good luck,
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

support