Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: When is it OK to give up?  (Read 225048 times)

Offline Stelfox

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: When is it OK to give up?
« Reply #1170 on: April 05, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »
Hi just read this article, hope your ok, and good luck!

Offline Alina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1171 on: October 30, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »
Hey I am really sorry to know about your condition! Please don't lose hope but consult your GP at the earliest. And the feeling you are going through is very true! All we can do is pray for your good health and do take care of your loving family members

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #1172 on: July 07, 2020, 11:52:07 PM »
Hi all,

As it's been a while I thought I'd update......

On Monday 2nd. March this year I finally had my left leg amputated above knee, with Mr. Mannion. My surgery was performed at the Royal Preston Hospital.

The CRPS is gone on my left side. For the first three weeks or so I had some strange sensations but no phantom pain. The CRPS in my right leg has remained the same although I do have moderate arthritis in the right knee now. Hardly surprising given the thirty years of favouring the left side!

Last Friday I stood upright using a prosthetic leg. I'm now having physio with said leg twice weekly. Strangely, nothing has been a challenge physically. As an amputee, it's been almost too easy to adjust to life mostly (so far) in a wheelchair. I'm well aware of the amount of hard work I have ahead of me.

On one hand I would recommend amputation. On the other hand, to get through it and to cope emotionally as well as physically is incredibly difficult and psychological support will almost definitely be needed.

If anyone wants to know anything about amputation, particularly with a view to dealing with CRPS, please let me know.
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

support