Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How do I know if I have a muscle imbalance?  (Read 715 times)

Offline duginaz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How do I know if I have a muscle imbalance?
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:16:56 PM »
Hi all,

I'm just coming off a menisectomy (5 weeks).  The OS did not prescribe any PT, and actually my knee feels pretty good at this point.  I plan to stert light running again next week.

My question:   In the MRI report it also stated a possible patella tracking issue.  One of the topics I routinely see with respect to knee injuries and rehab is making sure your quads and hamstrings are in balance.  How do I know this?  Is there a ratio of weight I should be able to lift for leg extentions vs hamstring contractions?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: How do I know if I have a muscle imbalance?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 06:51:57 PM »
Your bad leg should be able to do the same as the good one.....I had LR and patelladebridement etc in Dec 05....I am strong lifting wise in both quad and hamstring, but I'm unable to control muscles the way I used to....ex: I can lift the same amount of weight on good and bad leg, but standing on bad leg and bending I get to a certain point and I don't know how to go any further....no pain..just can't figure out in a split second how to do it...with a little more time I can bend , but I really have to concentrate...I can walk fast, but not run..not that I want to, but still...I didn't experience this when I had my menisectmy in 1999,  I had pt then too, but my muscle "failure" has developed since then....hope that answers some of your questions....good luck...

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...