Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT #2 + infection  (Read 8781 times)

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: TTT #2 + infection
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2006, 09:28:04 PM »
Well, I went to my OS last Friday, wound care today, and to an infectious disease doctor tomorrow. Today the wound care appt didn't go as bad as last time; only stayed there 2 hours as opposed to last time's 4. Today he suggested putting my leg in a walking cast because just simply walking could be what is keeping the incision open because there isn't much redness, so he really doesn't think it is infected anymore. If that was the case though, I don't see why my OS would still send me to the infectious disease doc... I guess I just need to wait and see what the other doc thinks and then see what my OS has to say Monday.

They did take another culture today, which, if they don't think it is infected, wouldn't be needed, at least in my humble opinion. My leg as a whole still doesn't look very good though, I have a lot of little sores opening up around the area where the ace wrap is, it is still REALLY swollen all the way to my foot... I can't even fit a shoe on my foot... and there is still a lot of pain.

I am starting college on August 14th, and I have classes Monday through Thursday from 12 to 6:15, so I should still have some time to see my doctors without missing class... IF the would care doc won't take a lifetime. My OS wants me to go on to temporary disablilty at school because he doesn't think a 45 minute walk across campus would be very good for my knees right now, so I guess I need to head up there in a few minutes to pick up the papers for him to fill out so I can drop them by his office tomorrow when I go to the other doc.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla

18 y/o
LR 1/05 TTT + MPFL Recon.-- 6/05- R
LR + MPFL recon 12/05 TTT-- 4/06  IND-- 6/06- IND & screw removal-- 7/06 IND 10/06 Exploration 10/06, 12/06, & 2/07-- all left
Chronic Osteomyelitis- Currently facing amputation

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »
I saw the infectious disease doctor for the first time this morning, and she was really nice. She decided to get some x-rays to rule out osteomyelitis since I had some really enlarged lymph nodes in my thighs and groin, even though the other doctors said there was no way because of the lack of redness. Come to find out, there is a good bit of bone that is missing, which she said gives it a 99% chance of being osteomyelitis. So, tomorrow they have me scheduled to get a PICC line put in that will be in place for 3 months so I can receive IV antibiotics.

I guess both my OS and the wound care doc were wrong, or else this woman is. I guess I'll have to wait to see what my OS has to say about her diagnosis when I go see him Monday, and he will have the x-rays in front of him to give his explination of everything, and then the x-rays get passed on to wound care, so I guess I will get to hear that doctor's explination next week as well.

I took some more pictures of my knee this morning, and compared them to the ones from before the debridements, it looks WORSE now than it did then. Here are the links if you want to see-- BEWARE if you have a weak stomach.. there is pretty much a gaping hole  :-X

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/infection.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/Pic207jpg-4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/Pic206jpg-5.jpg

I am at the point where I can actually say I am terrified. I wasn't too worried about it while I was going to my OS because he kept saying it was nothing major, so I really didn't think much of it. This does explain the amount and depth of the pain I have been having though.

I guess I am about to get off of here and find something else to focus on,
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 07:34:00 PM by scarlit_sky »
18 y/o
LR + MPFL recon 12/05 TTT-- 4/06  IND-- 6/06- IND & screw removal-- 7/06 IND 10/06 Exploration 10/06, 12/06, & 2/07-- all left

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2006, 04:58:48 AM »
Hey everyone, just thought I would pop in and update while I am online tonight since I haven't been on in a while.

I have been taking care of my leg by myself since Friday. My OS showed me how I am supposed to pack it and the nurse taught me how to properly hook up the IV antibiotics to the PICC line. My OS gave me permission to take out the stitches myself Monday because, as he put it, if the incision isn't closed by now there is a reason my body isn't letting it heal and leaving the stitches in there will make no difference. He also began to agree with the infectious disease doc and said there is a good chance there is a bone infection since I am on some of the strongest antibiotics available, the wound should have started to close in a few days after starting them, yet as of today it has actually gotten wider than it was when I started the antibiotics. It jumped from a little over an inch deep and 2 inches wide last Thursday, to just short of 2 inches deep and 3 and a half inches wide as of today. The home health nurse comes out once a week to do blood work, to change the dressing over the line, and to check the area of the wound to see if it is closing in at all. That is a lot better than everyday right now because I have a lot of other things to tend to before school starts on the 14th.

There has also been a lot more swelling, when I woke up this morning my thigh was actually smaller than my calf, which is something I didn't think was possible. It did go down throughout the day, so I don't know if I should be alarmed or not. I guess if it is like that again tomorrow I will call my OS to see what he thinks.

I get my financial aid money in tomorrow, and since I am going to have a little under 3,000 extra I am going to go ahead and get a new car since the one I have probably won't make it much longer. I went and looked this evening and decided upon a Scion xB... or as I put it, a box lol. I got most of the paperwork filled out while I was there, but the banks were closed so they couldn't get a financing rate, which means I have to wait until tomorrow to finish everything so I can bring the car home with me. Needless to say, I am excited lol.

It's almost 11 so I guess I should try to get some sleep...
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 12:52:58 AM »
Hey Kayla!

How's everything going?

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR