Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT #2 + infection  (Read 8767 times)

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: TTT #2
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 12:58:04 PM »
Brigitta,

These are my photos

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shadewalk2/my_photos

Your scar is hardly visible now, that is great.  What was your TTT called?  Mine was a fulkerson ttt, just wondering if this might be the reason for the differences in scar angles......
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »
Brigitta, your scar looks way better than mine. I will have to get a new pictiure of the one on my right knee, which is almost a year out. I think the horozontial scar looks better than a big vertical one like I have. My OS will not be in his office until Monday, so I am stuck waiting until then unless I start running fever over 100.5, then he would be able to meet me at the emergency department at the hospital.

Shade, your incision looks really good compared to mine too. I may have to take your idea and put all of my pictures in one album though, I think that would help a lot :P I have been putting prooxide on it with a q-tip since the steri-strips came off, as well as fresh sterile gauze 3 times a day.

Last night my right knee actually hurt worse than my left. I noticed some slight pain around the screws yesterday, and it spread and got progressively worse as the day went on. I don't know if it is going to be able to handle the 6 weeks I have left NWB on my left knee.

I am patiently awaiting my appointment Monday, hopefully then I will get some answers about what is going on right now.

I think I am going to work on a photo album like Shade has, then I can get all of my pictures from each surgery on there :)

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o
LR 1/05 TTT + MPFL Recon.-- 6/05- R
LR + MPFL recon 12/05 TTT-- 4/06  IND-- 6/06- IND & screw removal-- 7/06 IND 10/06 Exploration 10/06, 12/06, & 2/07-- all left
Chronic Osteomyelitis- Currently facing amputation

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 06:46:50 PM »
My OS appointment was this morning, and it went fairly well. He said he isn't too worried about the drainage from the incision because there isn't much redness around it and I haven't had a really high fever. I was given permission to start tanning again :D as long as i keep sunscreen around the incision, which I do anyway. He also told me I can switch to my Breg post-op lite brace since it is starting to get really hot here and that immobilizer was killing me. He wasn't too happy with my ROM, I have lost 30 degrees since my last appointment, which puts me back at roughly 75 degrees, so he wants me working harder to get that back up.

I will be able to start weight bearing and PT in 3 weeks. Last time I couldn't weight bear for 8 weeks, he said this time he is letting me put more weight on it because I have lost a lot of weight and my bones were stronger so he thinks it will hold up.

I asked him about the direction of the incision, he said that there are about 150 different ways to do the incision, as well as the TTT, and it really just depends on the OS's prefrence and training. He told me that he likes to do the vertical incision because the scar isn't as bad because it goes with the way the skin grows.

I got x-rays done today also, and I got copies so I could post them

You can kind of see some lines in the bone around the TTT area, he said that's because he uses a wire to cut the bone and it causes little indentations in some areas.

He finally explained why he used 3 screws for my right knee too. The bone cracked when he was screwing the TT, so he used an extra screw to fix that.

He also pointed out how my right kneecap was getting pulled down on the medial side, and mentioned going in to clean out the scar tissue later on...

Um, I think that is all. This recovery seems to be going a lot faster than my right knee... though ROM is still really bad.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o
LR + MPFL recon 12/05 TTT-- 4/06  IND-- 6/06- IND & screw removal-- 7/06 IND 10/06 Exploration 10/06, 12/06, & 2/07-- all left

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 11:29:16 PM »
Hey Kayla,

It sounds like you're doing really well. I'm sure the ROM will come too. That's awesome news that you can ditch the crutches in 3 weeks. I think I would have gone crazy if I had been on crutches that long, lol.

I took the ACT this past Saturday (make up day) and I thought it was so hard! How'd you do on it?

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 11:58:10 PM »
I paid to get my early scores yesterday, I got a composite of 20 this time and almost cried. My OS didn't seem to think that was too horrible though, considering I had surgery 2 days before. I may end up retaking it again in June... I am determined to beat my score of 27 (can you tell I am sort of a perfectionist lol)

I am starting college this fall though, my OS and I actually talked about that today and he said it would be better if I stayed here for at least my first 2 years so we can make sure my knee will hold up well enough, so that really leaves me with 3 options, and then after looking at tuition costs and location (I don't want to be directly in New Orleans) I have a total of 2 lol, so I guess we will see what happens.
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 01:03:06 AM »
I'm sorry you're disappointed with your scores. You probably did better than me, though, haha. I don't know when my scores will be online...I'm planning on forking out the $8...but since it was a make-up date it's not listed. I guess I'll just keep checking periodically.

I thought about doing joint enrollment next year (senior year!), but ultimately decided to stay at my school and take AP classes. I think you'll end up being farther ahead than most people though, which would be really cool if you're going on to a graduate program of some sort.

Good luck with everything!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 03:51:21 AM »
Did you take the writing part? I bet you did better than I did. One of my friends took it with me and she scored a 13... but she also dropped out of school and didn't really want to prepare for the ACT. And, according to the grade level test they gave her when she enrolled in the GED classes we have to take, she is only at a 7.2 grade level... I was at a 12.9 in everything but English, which was a 13.0

The multiple choice scores should be online about 10-12 days after you tested, and writing will be a week or two later. I haven't gotten my writing scores, but I don't want to pay another $8 just for that.

Since I have my GED, I will be a year ahead of my original graduating class, so that's cool I guess lol. I am trying to make up my mind about what I really want to do, that seems to be the hardest part.
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 04:32:05 AM »
Yes, I took the writing part. I think I'll probably wait to get the writing scores in the mail, too.

I know what you mean about not know exactly what you want to do. I guess I know that I want to do something in medicine, but I really don't know what. There are so many options! I have no clue what I want to major in, either.

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 06:07:29 AM »
Well, I'm offically 4 weeks post-op and the incision is STILL open, and now it's not just the little area that was open and draining, about 70% of the incision is back open. I managed to get the sutures that were supposedly causing the drainage and redness out last week, but still there is no improvement. I called my OS about it again today, and he told me he'd call back tomorrow and if it isn't looking any better he will see me Friday. I told him I have been running a low grade fever since 2 weeks post-op, and he seems to think that is normal also.... but I did some calculations today, and my normal body temp is around 97.3, and I have been running a fever around 99.5, which is 2.2 degrees above MY normal, and for someone with a normal temp of 98.6, that would be equivalent to a fever of 100.8. Maybe I am wrong though... I may mention that to him tomorrow to see what he thinks.

I have also lost a great deal of ROM, now I can only bend my knee to about 30 degrees. It seems like everything is starting to go backwards and I am starting to get concerned, although my OS says everything is completely normal.

I had an admissions appointment at college today, and since I was undecided about my major they looked at my ACT scores and gave me something similar to a career test, and they said it would be best for me to major in some form of science because that was my strongest area, and I would be best at working in a human service area. After that I talked to my mom and a few friends about it and I have decided that I want to maybe go into medicine. The guy also told me that I am pretty much guaranteed acceptance so it looks like I will be starting college this fall, if my knee permits.

It's after midnight now, so I guess I should be heading off to bed
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:18:42 AM by scarlit_sky »
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 02:51:46 AM »
My sister has convinved me to go see my OS tomorrow, even though he thinks it is nothing since I am not running a really high temp... guess we'll see what he thinks after he sees it.

Here are pics, as of today, 32 days post-op... they are all pretty close up to the incision so if you get queasy easily, don't look  :-X

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/32dayspostop3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/32dayspostop2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/32dayspostop.jpg

I have managed to get some ROM back... I actually forced it to bend to 90 degrees but that didn't feel very well. I have been trying to get up and moving for a few days, and managed to crutch around my neighborhood yesterday (a mile) partially because a friend made me... if it would have been my choice I probably wouldn't have left my yard. Umm, I guess that is it until tomorrow.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »
Good luck at the OS! Hopefully nothing serious is wrong.

Oh...I ended up getting a 22 on the ACT, lol.

That'd be cool if you went into medicine. I want to, too.

Let me know how your appointment goes!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 05:43:36 PM »
Erin, thanks for stopping by. You did better than I did! I decided to go take it again in June because I want to score better, and am determined this time. I have talked to a few people about the possibility of going into medicine and so far everyone has told me to go for it, so I guess that is what I am going to do... who knows though, I may change my mind between now and then.

My OS said the incision is infected, and prescribed 2 different antibiotics and hopefully that will take care of it. He wants me to start PT tomorrow (talk about short notice), and then he wants to see me again next Monday to see if it is healing at all and maybe he will let me start weight bearing. He is letting me out of the immobilizer and into an ROM brace and said he wants me to have better ROM on Monday... he thinks I haven't been trying to bend it like I was told.

I think I may actually be able to sleep tonight now that I can bend my knee... living for a month on less than 4 hours of sleep isn't the best thing in the world.

Well, I think that is all... I will update later.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 01:41:40 AM »
I started PT Tuesday, I have a new therapist and she has never heard of a TTT lol. So I am trying to remember what all I did last time so I can tell her... not the easiest task for me. I have 130 degrees ROM now, so I guess that is good, but my muscles are almost completely gone.

The incision still isn't starting to close, and I have been taking the antibiotics religiously since I got them Monday. My PT isn't really happy about how it looks either. I have still been running fever, it has leveled off at 99.8 for the past few days which is still really high for me. I go see my OS again Monday, so I guess I will just have to wait and see what he says then. I am supposed to be able to start weight bearing, I don't know if this infection is going to prevent that or not.There is still a lot of pain around the incision, but other than that there is only some slight pain when I move my leg which is to be expected.

I have been trying to move around more this week, I have gotten really tired of just sitting around doing nothing.I have been crutching to the end of my driveway and back every 30 minutes, hopefully that helps me get back to the weight I was pre-op.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 11:43:34 AM »
Kayla,

Sorry to hear that you're having incision/infection problems.  That is just awful!!  Hopefullly the meds will get things headed in the right direction again soon.

Good luck with your OS visit on Monday.

Let us know how everything goes. 

Sending good vibes your way......................................     ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

support