Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT #2 + infection  (Read 8769 times)

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
TTT #2 + infection
« on: April 07, 2006, 06:20:47 PM »
I'm finally home. Had surgery Wednesday and was kept in the hospital  for 2 nights because the pain could not be controlled by oral pain meds. The pain finally got under control around 3am this morning, and I was discharged at 10. My OS said the surgery went very well, and he only had to use 2 screws this time.

His post-op protocol has changed since my last TTT, last time he gave me 20 degrees ROM immediately post-op, and right now he has me in a immobilizer and said I will be in it for 4-5 weeks, he wants me to start PT next week instead of waiting 2 weeks. I guess that is a good thing.

My foot is really swollen, I had a sock on it earlier but the swelling managed to pop it off... I would hate to see what my knee looks like right now. I have managed to keep the pain under control thus far, but tomorrow I will not be able to take any pain meds because I have the ACT test to take... let's hope tylenol will work for those few hours. Thank God this is my second time taking it, so if I don't do very well I can still use my last scores which weren't too horrible.

I am waiting for a call from my OS's office right now to find out when he wants me in for a dressing change since he didn't tell me when I saw him this morning. My best guess is Monday morning, which is when he has wanted me in after my last 3 surgeries... we will see though.

I think that is all, hope everyone is well
Kayla
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:38:00 AM by scarlit_sky »
18 y/o
LR 1/05 TTT + MPFL Recon.-- 6/05- R
LR + MPFL recon 12/05 TTT-- 4/06  IND-- 6/06- IND & screw removal-- 7/06 IND 10/06 Exploration 10/06, 12/06, & 2/07-- all left
Chronic Osteomyelitis- Currently facing amputation

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: TTT #2
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:57:30 PM »
Kayla,

Glad you are on this side of surgery, sorry that you've had these pain issues though. 

I'm also in an immobilizer but for at least 6 weeks and no PT until after that.  Protocols all seem to vary, don't they.

Hope that your swelling subsides soon. 

Sending ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 01:32:19 AM »
Hey Kayla,

Glad to hear surgery went so well, but I'm sorry you had pain issues. Hopefully that's all behind you now.

I also wanted to wish you good luck with the ACT tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow as well, though this will be my first time. Just out of curiosity, why can't you take it again early next fall? And another "just out of curiosity"...where are you thinking about for college?

Kick butt on recovery!

~Erin~
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:38:34 AM by mhsflute07 »
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 12:33:12 PM »
Shade- Protocols do seem to vary, not only from OS to OS, but also surgery to surgery as I have learned now.

Eiin- Good luck to you too! I could take it again next fall if I really had to, but would rather get this behind me now. I will retake it again if I am not happy with my scores this time. I am more than likely going to attend Southeastern Louisiana University since it is really close, like no more than 10 minutes, to my house. I am applying for Mississippi College, Baylor University, and Louisiana State Uni. we'll see what happens though.

Day 3-- The pain is still kind of bad, I just took two tylenol so I hope that will get it under control for now. I am carrying my pain meds with me just in case I need them though. My OS faxed the ACT office so they will allow me to prop my leg up and take my meds today should I need them. Umm, I think I need to go get ready, I just looked at the clock.

I'll update later,
Kayla
18 y/o
LR + MPFL recon 12/05 TTT-- 4/06  IND-- 6/06- IND & screw removal-- 7/06 IND 10/06 Exploration 10/06, 12/06, & 2/07-- all left

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 04:12:36 PM »
hey kayla~

Doesn't it feel great knowing that you're behind surgery #2?  I remember after my second TTT it was almost a relief.  Hopefully you won't run into any problems with recovery and such like I did.  I really don't think you will, but even if you do, they are just small bumps in the road compared to another TTT!  :)  Keep staying positive and taking it easy with recovery.

Good luck with the ACT.  I took mine last year and I hated it so much, that I vowed I wasn't going to take it again!! hehe.  Thankfully, I scored well enough that I didn't need to take it over.  Hopefully the pain keeps at bay and you'll be able to finish your test successfully.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 08:29:57 PM »
Hey Kayla,

I hope the ACT went well today. When I arrived for mine, they said it was cancelled  :o ::) lol...we had bad storms last night and there was a good bit of damage in that area...so we are guessing there was no electricity. Ahh..well...I guess it will be resheduled.

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 11:26:19 PM »
Mandy- It does feel awesome to know this is almost over. I scored a 27 the first time I took the ACT, all of my friends think I am crazy for taking it again but I am such a perfectionist I just HAD to retake it to see if I could do any better, but I think today's scores will end up being way worse than the ones from December.... and, knowing me, I will take it one more time when I am recovered from this surgery just to see what I can do lol.

Erin- You are SO lucky. They were late opening the doors for us this morning, they were supposed to be open at 7:45 with the test starting at 8... the doors weren't open until almost 9 and we didn't start testing until 9:30 and we didn't get out until almost 3 this evening. Thank God my friend Lacey was taking the test with me today, or else I would have been on the ground quite a few times.

After the ACT today we met up with some of our other friends to go eat and then went shopping. By the time I got home I was totally pooped. When I came in to get on the computer one of my crutches managed to fall right on top of my good foot... and now it is all bruised and swollen, so I have ice on both of my feet and my left knee  ::)

*sigh* I think I am going to go lie down for a while.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 10:33:46 PM »
Day 5- I went for my post-op appointment this morning. My OS bent my knee to see how far it would go without too much pain... I managed to get to about 105 degrees, but he was pushing my foot back so I dobut I could do that on my own. There is a lot of bruising, I got some pictures but I haven't uploaded them yet. Since my appointment this morning the pain has been a little worse than it was, but I guess that is to be expected. My OS wants me to take the immobilizer off a few times a day to bend my leg. My next appointment is on the 24th, he said he will take x-rays then and if it looks like it's healed enough he may let me start putting a little weight on it.

I have some friends coming over later, so I guess I need to clean up a little.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »
Kayla,

Congrats!!

Sounds like everything is going very well.  I've also been given the same instructions about taking the immobilizer off and trying to bend the knee.  Your ROM is great, wow 105. 
Keep up the good work.  ~Shade

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 03:08:07 AM »
Shade-- Thanks for stopping by :) I got to 105 thanks to my OS, I have tried getting it there on my own and I can't get past what I would gess is 40-45 degrees.

I was doing fairly well pain-wise today and survived off of just Aleve... at least until about 2 hours ago. I don't think the pain would have gotten bad if I wasn't such a klutz... I went out with some friends today and we stopped at a convinence store for gas and soda. Well, I was crutching back to the coolers to get a soda and the floor was wet but they didn't have a sign warning people like me lol. One of my crutches slipped and smart me shifted all of my weight to my bad leg to keep from falling... after that the pain got about to the point it was last week. Swelling has been getting better, but it too increased with that incident, mostly around the TTT incision site. I am hoping I didn't cause any damage... guess I will find out at my next appointment if I did.

And, as promised, pictures :)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/drdevraj2.jpg
My wonderful OS :P

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/ttt2postop5days.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/postopttt2-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/post-opTTT2.jpg
At the dressing change 5 days post-op

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/incision-8days.jpg
Incsion today (8 days post-op)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/bruisingbehindknee.jpg
Bruising behind my knee (today)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/footbruising-8days.jpg
bruising down my leg...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/footbruisingpostttt2.jpg
And my bruised foot

I have had way more bruising and pain with this TTT than with my right one. Shows how different each surgery can be...

Well, I think I have a date with more ice packs, pillows, my bed and the TV for tonight
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 03:06:33 PM »
Kayla,

OMG - that is awful what happened at the convenience store.  Hope you didn't harm yourself more, YIKES!!  This stuff happens, nothing you can do about it but rest, ice and elevate. 

Thanks for the pictures.  I've not had any bruising in my foot, but I've noticed a little swelling there. 

Let us know how everything goes at your post-op appointment.  Hope all goes well.  ~Shade

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 01:43:21 AM »
Hi Kayla

I'm so jealous you've already had number 2 done....I'm booked in for number 2 next week.

Best of luck with your recovery. I'm sure you will do fine (just watch out for those wet floors)

It was funny what you said about your foot being swollen. I didn't realise how bad mine was swollen until I went to put my shoes on to go out one night and my bf was trying to do one up for me and I was telling him "no baby the tight hole" and he was saying "it won't go there" and I was insisting that it always went there and otherwise it would be too loose and then I realised it was my silly foot! Well at least it wasn't purple anymore. lol

I looked at your pics and I was wondering - how many people get the incision cut vertically instead of horozontally? Mine is horizontal just under my knee plus the arthroscopy holes.

Best of luck to you all
Brigitta

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 03:23:29 AM »
Shade- I had almost no bruising with my last TTT... I don't know what the difference was this time.

Brigitta- Good luck with your surgery next week! I learned not to even bother with tennis shoes, I tried to wear mine on the other day and my foot went numb before I even left the house. Thank God for the Crocs they have out right now, I have a pair in almost every color so I always match :D I'n not sure how many people have horozontial incisions... good question though. I may ask my OS what the big difference is Monday just because you have me curious now.

My steri-strips came off the other day after taking a shower, so now I have gotten to see the real beauty of my incision. I took pictures of it, but it doesn't look very nice so I have decided not to post them right now. I was kind of worried earlier when I looked at it because it has one big yellowish spot and there has been a lot of yellowish discharge... I keep trying to think back to my other TTT to conpare it and see if it's normal. I don't remember though... guess we'll see what my OS says on Monday.

Most of the bruising in my leg is almost gone, the only spot that is still really bruised is behind my knee. The pain lessened for a while, but it is starting to get bad again. I called my OS yesterday about my incision and the pain, he called in more pain meds and told me to keep Neosporin on it until I see him Monday, and he will look at it then.

I have been trying to bend my knee like I was told to do, but it seems like I am not getting anywhere ROM wise.  When I get it bent to around 45 degrees the area from the MPFL reconstruction in December starts pulling really bad and it feels like something is about to pop. I will keep working on it though, and hopefully sooner or later I will get somewhere.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 03:37:34 AM »
Kayla,

Sounds like things are going pretty good.  Your ROM will come, just might take a little longer cause of the MPFL.  About this discharge, are you using hydrogen peroxide on your scar - that's what they had me do to make sure the site stays clean.  You just daub it on with a q-tip.
My incision for the TTT is about 4 inch diagonal scar and the patella work is 2 1/2 inch scar beginning at the top lateral side of patella, the two screws & some port holes.   

Don't know what the differences are with scars, maybe just doctor preference.  About the foot swelling, I just wear my moccasin on your operated leg - works and is comfy.

Hope the pain meds help until you get in to see the OS on Monday.  Good luck.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 12:59:01 PM by shade »

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »
Hi Kayla

A yellowish discharge from your scar? wtf? I think you should get that checked out hon.

I'll post pics of mine tomorrow and post them so you can see the difference in horozontal scars :-)

best of luck
Brigitta

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 12:58:04 PM »
Brigitta,

These are my photos

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shadewalk2/my_photos

Your scar is hardly visible now, that is great.  What was your TTT called?  Mine was a fulkerson ttt, just wondering if this might be the reason for the differences in scar angles......

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »
Brigitta, your scar looks way better than mine. I will have to get a new pictiure of the one on my right knee, which is almost a year out. I think the horozontial scar looks better than a big vertical one like I have. My OS will not be in his office until Monday, so I am stuck waiting until then unless I start running fever over 100.5, then he would be able to meet me at the emergency department at the hospital.

Shade, your incision looks really good compared to mine too. I may have to take your idea and put all of my pictures in one album though, I think that would help a lot :P I have been putting prooxide on it with a q-tip since the steri-strips came off, as well as fresh sterile gauze 3 times a day.

Last night my right knee actually hurt worse than my left. I noticed some slight pain around the screws yesterday, and it spread and got progressively worse as the day went on. I don't know if it is going to be able to handle the 6 weeks I have left NWB on my left knee.

I am patiently awaiting my appointment Monday, hopefully then I will get some answers about what is going on right now.

I think I am going to work on a photo album like Shade has, then I can get all of my pictures from each surgery on there :)

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 06:46:50 PM »
My OS appointment was this morning, and it went fairly well. He said he isn't too worried about the drainage from the incision because there isn't much redness around it and I haven't had a really high fever. I was given permission to start tanning again :D as long as i keep sunscreen around the incision, which I do anyway. He also told me I can switch to my Breg post-op lite brace since it is starting to get really hot here and that immobilizer was killing me. He wasn't too happy with my ROM, I have lost 30 degrees since my last appointment, which puts me back at roughly 75 degrees, so he wants me working harder to get that back up.

I will be able to start weight bearing and PT in 3 weeks. Last time I couldn't weight bear for 8 weeks, he said this time he is letting me put more weight on it because I have lost a lot of weight and my bones were stronger so he thinks it will hold up.

I asked him about the direction of the incision, he said that there are about 150 different ways to do the incision, as well as the TTT, and it really just depends on the OS's prefrence and training. He told me that he likes to do the vertical incision because the scar isn't as bad because it goes with the way the skin grows.

I got x-rays done today also, and I got copies so I could post them

You can kind of see some lines in the bone around the TTT area, he said that's because he uses a wire to cut the bone and it causes little indentations in some areas.

He finally explained why he used 3 screws for my right knee too. The bone cracked when he was screwing the TT, so he used an extra screw to fix that.

He also pointed out how my right kneecap was getting pulled down on the medial side, and mentioned going in to clean out the scar tissue later on...

Um, I think that is all. This recovery seems to be going a lot faster than my right knee... though ROM is still really bad.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 11:29:16 PM »
Hey Kayla,

It sounds like you're doing really well. I'm sure the ROM will come too. That's awesome news that you can ditch the crutches in 3 weeks. I think I would have gone crazy if I had been on crutches that long, lol.

I took the ACT this past Saturday (make up day) and I thought it was so hard! How'd you do on it?

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 11:58:10 PM »
I paid to get my early scores yesterday, I got a composite of 20 this time and almost cried. My OS didn't seem to think that was too horrible though, considering I had surgery 2 days before. I may end up retaking it again in June... I am determined to beat my score of 27 (can you tell I am sort of a perfectionist lol)

I am starting college this fall though, my OS and I actually talked about that today and he said it would be better if I stayed here for at least my first 2 years so we can make sure my knee will hold up well enough, so that really leaves me with 3 options, and then after looking at tuition costs and location (I don't want to be directly in New Orleans) I have a total of 2 lol, so I guess we will see what happens.
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 01:03:06 AM »
I'm sorry you're disappointed with your scores. You probably did better than me, though, haha. I don't know when my scores will be online...I'm planning on forking out the $8...but since it was a make-up date it's not listed. I guess I'll just keep checking periodically.

I thought about doing joint enrollment next year (senior year!), but ultimately decided to stay at my school and take AP classes. I think you'll end up being farther ahead than most people though, which would be really cool if you're going on to a graduate program of some sort.

Good luck with everything!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 03:51:21 AM »
Did you take the writing part? I bet you did better than I did. One of my friends took it with me and she scored a 13... but she also dropped out of school and didn't really want to prepare for the ACT. And, according to the grade level test they gave her when she enrolled in the GED classes we have to take, she is only at a 7.2 grade level... I was at a 12.9 in everything but English, which was a 13.0

The multiple choice scores should be online about 10-12 days after you tested, and writing will be a week or two later. I haven't gotten my writing scores, but I don't want to pay another $8 just for that.

Since I have my GED, I will be a year ahead of my original graduating class, so that's cool I guess lol. I am trying to make up my mind about what I really want to do, that seems to be the hardest part.
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 04:32:05 AM »
Yes, I took the writing part. I think I'll probably wait to get the writing scores in the mail, too.

I know what you mean about not know exactly what you want to do. I guess I know that I want to do something in medicine, but I really don't know what. There are so many options! I have no clue what I want to major in, either.

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 06:07:29 AM »
Well, I'm offically 4 weeks post-op and the incision is STILL open, and now it's not just the little area that was open and draining, about 70% of the incision is back open. I managed to get the sutures that were supposedly causing the drainage and redness out last week, but still there is no improvement. I called my OS about it again today, and he told me he'd call back tomorrow and if it isn't looking any better he will see me Friday. I told him I have been running a low grade fever since 2 weeks post-op, and he seems to think that is normal also.... but I did some calculations today, and my normal body temp is around 97.3, and I have been running a fever around 99.5, which is 2.2 degrees above MY normal, and for someone with a normal temp of 98.6, that would be equivalent to a fever of 100.8. Maybe I am wrong though... I may mention that to him tomorrow to see what he thinks.

I have also lost a great deal of ROM, now I can only bend my knee to about 30 degrees. It seems like everything is starting to go backwards and I am starting to get concerned, although my OS says everything is completely normal.

I had an admissions appointment at college today, and since I was undecided about my major they looked at my ACT scores and gave me something similar to a career test, and they said it would be best for me to major in some form of science because that was my strongest area, and I would be best at working in a human service area. After that I talked to my mom and a few friends about it and I have decided that I want to maybe go into medicine. The guy also told me that I am pretty much guaranteed acceptance so it looks like I will be starting college this fall, if my knee permits.

It's after midnight now, so I guess I should be heading off to bed
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:18:42 AM by scarlit_sky »
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 02:51:46 AM »
My sister has convinved me to go see my OS tomorrow, even though he thinks it is nothing since I am not running a really high temp... guess we'll see what he thinks after he sees it.

Here are pics, as of today, 32 days post-op... they are all pretty close up to the incision so if you get queasy easily, don't look  :-X

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/32dayspostop3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/32dayspostop2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/32dayspostop.jpg

I have managed to get some ROM back... I actually forced it to bend to 90 degrees but that didn't feel very well. I have been trying to get up and moving for a few days, and managed to crutch around my neighborhood yesterday (a mile) partially because a friend made me... if it would have been my choice I probably wouldn't have left my yard. Umm, I guess that is it until tomorrow.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »
Good luck at the OS! Hopefully nothing serious is wrong.

Oh...I ended up getting a 22 on the ACT, lol.

That'd be cool if you went into medicine. I want to, too.

Let me know how your appointment goes!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 05:43:36 PM »
Erin, thanks for stopping by. You did better than I did! I decided to go take it again in June because I want to score better, and am determined this time. I have talked to a few people about the possibility of going into medicine and so far everyone has told me to go for it, so I guess that is what I am going to do... who knows though, I may change my mind between now and then.

My OS said the incision is infected, and prescribed 2 different antibiotics and hopefully that will take care of it. He wants me to start PT tomorrow (talk about short notice), and then he wants to see me again next Monday to see if it is healing at all and maybe he will let me start weight bearing. He is letting me out of the immobilizer and into an ROM brace and said he wants me to have better ROM on Monday... he thinks I haven't been trying to bend it like I was told.

I think I may actually be able to sleep tonight now that I can bend my knee... living for a month on less than 4 hours of sleep isn't the best thing in the world.

Well, I think that is all... I will update later.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 01:41:40 AM »
I started PT Tuesday, I have a new therapist and she has never heard of a TTT lol. So I am trying to remember what all I did last time so I can tell her... not the easiest task for me. I have 130 degrees ROM now, so I guess that is good, but my muscles are almost completely gone.

The incision still isn't starting to close, and I have been taking the antibiotics religiously since I got them Monday. My PT isn't really happy about how it looks either. I have still been running fever, it has leveled off at 99.8 for the past few days which is still really high for me. I go see my OS again Monday, so I guess I will just have to wait and see what he says then. I am supposed to be able to start weight bearing, I don't know if this infection is going to prevent that or not.There is still a lot of pain around the incision, but other than that there is only some slight pain when I move my leg which is to be expected.

I have been trying to move around more this week, I have gotten really tired of just sitting around doing nothing.I have been crutching to the end of my driveway and back every 30 minutes, hopefully that helps me get back to the weight I was pre-op.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 11:43:34 AM »
Kayla,

Sorry to hear that you're having incision/infection problems.  That is just awful!!  Hopefullly the meds will get things headed in the right direction again soon.

Good luck with your OS visit on Monday.

Let us know how everything goes. 

Sending good vibes your way......................................     ~Shade

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 10:23:01 PM »
Well, as of today I can start weightbearing :D and he is really impressed with how much ROM I have gained since starting PT. He said that he will give the incision another 3 weeks to heal, and if it isn't completely discharge free and closed he wants to reopen it to see what is causing the problem.

In PT today my therapist commented on my right knee, and told me I need to pay attention to it when I am walking because it seems to be hyperextending. She thinks I should mention that to my OS next time I see him... nope, not happening lol. As of right now, I have decided if my knees start to give me more problems I am just going to live with it because I want at least 1/4 of my life back.

I am going on vacation in a little less than 2 weeks, and I really want the incision closed so I can swim while we are gone. I mentioned that to him and he said if it is closed that will be okay, but if it isn't closed he doesn't even want it in the sun, so if it isn't closed I might as well just stay home so I won't be too much of a burden to the rest of my family. I guess we'll see then though.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 05:19:37 PM »
7 weeks post-op and the incision still isn't closed up... it looks like I will have to have this thing reopened like my OS suggested.

One of my friends is starting to have problems with her knees now, she said she thinks they are contagious lol. It's weird because right before I had this TTT she told me she was going to hurt her knee just so she can really relate to what I am going through... and now it happened. She was running track at school Friday and her kneecap subluxed. I told her to go see my OS but her insurance company won't allow for it, so she has to go to the one affiliated with the school. I went with her yesterday and I have to say I don't like her OS very much... I guess because I am so used to mine. She didn't really like him either though, so she is going to go to her doctor to try to get a referral to mine.

My right knee is acting up again, the mini-squats my PT has me doing have made it start hurting again... I am going to tell her today and see what she says. It is probably related to the hyperextending, and if it is I will just live with it.

My family has decided to head to Florida a few days early... we are leaving Thursday. I am getting excited because my boyfriend got transferred to the area we are staying in, so maybe I will get to see him while we are there. Otherwise, it will be September before I see him again. We aren't planning on going to the beach because my mom and dad don't really see a point if I can't really do anything because of my knee. I guess we will see when we get there.

I guess I need to go get ready for PT
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 08:17:35 PM »
I am back from Florida... I had a lot of fun while I was there. I did go to the beach armed with a box of waterproof bandaids and sunblock for my knee so I was still able to get in the water and keep the incision dry. Both of my knees held up fairly well through all of the walking that we did, they did hurt after a while but it was tolerable.

I go back to PT tomorrow, and then to the OS Monday. The incision still hasn't closed and is really tender, and the drainage has gotten a little worse so I am just patiently waiting until Monday to see what is going on. If it has not closed up by then, my OS said he wants to reopen in on June 14 to see what is going on in there.

I guess I need to start unpacking, I'll post more later
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 10:59:14 PM »
Hey Kayla

Glad you had a good time and were able to get in the water. Hopefully your incision will close. Good luck at the OS! Let us know how it goes.

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006, 09:36:33 PM »
Hey Erin, thanks for stopping by :D

I got discharged from PT today, at least for now. I have full ROM, my muscles are as strong as they were pre-op, and I can walk without a limp so she thinks I am good to go. She said I will probably be back if my OS has to reopen the incision, which she really thinks he will because she said it looks worse and seems to be getting larger. But I am really glad to be out of PT, that's one step and I know there will probably be more to come later on but for now that's good news.

In other news, I get my braces off in August! After 4 years with them I cannot wait, right now I have to learn how to talk without moving my jaws because of all of the rubber bands in my mouth, but that is just a normal part of treatment I guess.

I also got a letter from two of the colleges I have applied to, and have been accepted by both. Now to see what other ones accept me, and then I have to work on making up my mind about where I want to go. Right now my choices are Louisiana State or Southeastern Louisiana University, and I want to go with LSU, but my parents want me to go to Southeastern so I guess we will see what happens.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2006, 04:29:30 AM »
Well, today I saw my OS and he wants to do a debridement of the incision next Friday. When he took the bandaid off of my knee, a lot of the skin around it came off and then he did a lot of squeezing and poking at it, and he wasn't too happy with all of the gunk that came out... He is willing to do the debridement under a local anesthetic, but said it may have to go to general depending on what he finds inside. *Sigh* I hope this is going to be the end of all of this.

I guess I need to get to sleep, I want to go see one of my friends in the hospital tomorrow morning.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 09:15:43 PM »
I am back from the debridement. I arrived at the surgery center at 10:30 this morning with my mom and boyfriend. The entire procedure was supposed to last 10 minutes at the most, and ended up taking an hour. It was done under a local anesthetic with sedation... and it was only supposed to last 10 minutes at the most... it ended up taking an hour. Um, he said he got an entire 6 liters of pus and the like out of the area, and it was just starting to spread to the bone. They took a culture and put me back on a broad spectrum antibiotic until we know what was causing it.

He told me there is a chance that it could come back, and if it does he will have to go back in and do this all over again. I am waiting for him to call me back right now because he didn't give me any pain medicine and right now it is hurting quite a bit...

I am going to lie down for a while and hopefully it all lessens a little
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: TTT #2 4/5 & Debridement 6/16
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2006, 05:34:57 AM »
Hey Kayla,

I'm glad the debridement went well. Hopefully this will take care of everything. It sounds like your knee is doing well otherwise, so that's great! Also, congratulations on the college acceptances. I'm sure your parents have their reasons for wanting you to go to Southeastern, but it's important that you go somewhere that you'll be happy and successful.

Well...I hope you feel better real soon!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2006, 01:32:48 AM »
Hey Erin :) Thanks for stopping by. I hope that this takes care of things as well. I am going to start off at Southeastern, and maybe transfer later since I am having all of these extra issues with my knee.

Well, I am almost a week out from the debridement and go to see my OS tomorrow. I decided to be a bad patient and slide the dressing down a little just to see what it was looking like, and now I really wish I didn't. It is still really red and draining yellow, and now it is starting to develop a really bad smell... I don't know what that is but I hope it's nothing big. I am kind of worried because I have been running a fever again and it is hurting the same way it was before the debridement.. I have so many questions to ask my OS tomorrow about this crap.

I am getting ready for school now. Yesterday I picked up a form for my OS to fill out so I can park closer to my classes because I don't know if the knee will hold up to a 45 minute walk with books and all.

*Sigh* I guess that is it until tomorrow.
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 02:35:23 AM »
I am now 3 months and 3 weeks post TTT, and 1 month post debridement... and I am still fighting the infection. I have been going to a wound care specialist every day for the past 2 weeks, and my OS has spoken to him and they both think I need another debridement, and I just got a call from my OS's office telling me they have a spot open for tomorrow morning.

The culture from the last debridement came back positive for MRSA, Strep, and a really uncommon bacteria to infect wounds, Enterobacter. Needless to say, I have been on a lifetime supply of antibiotics and pain medication, which I didn't think I would need this far out.

My OS said there is a possibility of them deciding to keep me in the hospital if it looks bad enough this time. I really hope they don't though because I have a funeral to go to Saturday... one of my rrrreeeeaaaallllyyyy good friends died from complications of an eating disorder, and it would kill me if I couldn't make it to her funeral.

I AM starting college this fall, my OS and the wound care doc said they will work around my schedule if my leg isn't better by then.

Well, I am going to get off of here for now, I am having a kind of hard time just simply sitting here at my desk.

I'll try to let you all know how it goes tomorrow,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 06:12:56 AM »
Wow Kayla!!!

You are def. having one tough time with that infection!  :o  Thats great to hear that your OS was able to get you in for tomorrow.  I'm hoping that this debridement can finally rid you have all the infection.  sure doesn't sound like it's been a pleasant recovery since your surgery before all this started! 

I'm really very sorry to hear about your good friend.  Tough losing friends, especially to something as crushing as an eating disorder.  Stay strong.

I understand with the whole college thing.  I'm starting this fall too.   :)  I'm moving 4 hours away from home and am still having lots of troubles with my knees.  Hopefully this all gets sorted out soon.  Thats awesome that the two docs are willing to work around your schedule....that should be GREAT help!!

Good luck and keep us posted!
~Mandy :D
21 yrs old

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2006, 12:12:15 AM »
Hey Mandy :D thanks for stopping by. I hope things start to improve with your knees too... I know it sucks to have almost everything revolve around your knees for so long, but things will improve... they have to. Good luck in college this fall! Where are you going?

They did the debridement and took the screws out. My OS said he could see where the infection was beginning to settle around the screws, so they needed to come out. The surgery was supposed to start at 10, but my OS was really late getting to the surgery center and they didn't get me in until around 1. I was in the OR for about 20 minutes, and was home by 4:00. I go back to the wound care doctor on Monday, and then back to my OS Friday... hopefully this will be the end of this infection and my other screws will be able to come out pretty soon.

I can go to Rene's funeral tomorrow, my OS said I may not feel like it but I really don't care if I feel like going or not, I am going. I agree, losing someone so close to you is hard enough, and watching her slowly fade and not being able to help made it a lot harder. At least she is better now, in the few weeks leading up to her death she would go through stages of paralysis and she had completely lost her eyesight.

I live 5 minutes from the college I am going to... I don't  want to go too far away right now because I wouldn't trust anyone else with my knees, but once my OS discharges me and I think my knees will hold up well enough, I am transfering to Abeline Christian University because, from what I've heard, their pre-med program is pretty good.

I guess I need to go lay back down, my leg doesn't like hanging over the side of a chair very much.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2006, 02:40:13 AM »
Hey Kayla~

Glad to hear that surgery is done!  Prolly good to have the screws out...I know it was a huge relief having those things out and I didn't even have an infection!  I sure hope that all of this infection stuff settles down.  That's really wonderful to hear that you will be able to go to your friend's funeral.  You're def. right, she's better now.  :)

In the fall I'm going to the University of Minnesota...hopefully to go into Athletic Training/Health Education.  However, I've been thinking alot and have been contacted by Northern Michigan University, and I'm starting to fall in love with that school!!!  Has an awesome training program and the campus is just gorgeous.  But for now, I'm just sticking it out at the U of M.  I understand what you mean about being far from the OS!!  I guess no matter where I end up at school, I'll still be far from my OS.  Have to travel enough to see him just from home!  ::)

Well, here I'm rambling.  Again, so happy to hear that your surgery is done and that you can start healing again....infection free this time!  Take care and rest up!

~Mandy ;D
21 yrs old

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
Re: TTT #2 + infection
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 05:27:12 AM »
Hey Mandy :) It is a big relief to have the screws out, I wish it would have been the screws in my right knee coming out first though. The ones in my left knee didn't stick out because they had a smaller head on them, all 3 of the ones in my right knee stick out way too far... I can't even make my bed in the morning without hitting the darn things. I hope the infection settles down too, I've had way more than enough of it now, but I'll keep fighting if I have to.

I'm sorry I haven't updated over the past few days, I haven't really felt like doing much... I guess it's a combination of my knee and Rene's death. It has been bleeding a good bit, enough that the blood is seeping through the layers of gauze and the ace bandage. I called my OS and told him, he said it was normal and I could add some more gauze to it and put another ace bandage on and wash the other one if I wanted to, so I did. It has also been draining enough pus to soak through to the first few layers of gauze... I don't know why though, I am on 4 different antibiotics now and I am taking them the exact way he told me to.

My wound care appointment got changed to tomorrow, then I have to set up an appointment with an infectious disease doctor, and then I see my OS Friday, so hopefully among those appointments there will be some good news.

Some friends and I went to play laser tag tonight, something I haven't done in almost 5 years. And then we went to the river and I got to watch them goof around in the water until the cops came and told us that no one is allowed down there at night. I had fun, but I think I overdid it a little because my leg is swollen from the knee down and it is hurting a good bit.

I guess I need to get to bed, I have to get up early in the morning to make it to my appointment.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 01:39:13 AM »
I went to the wound care appointment today, and I have a new doctor who caused me to lose my job. My appointment was for 2:30 today, and I didn't have to be at work until 4:30, so surely I should have had more than enough time to get from that office to work an entire 20 minutes from there... boy was that assumption wrong. I arrived 15 minutes early for my appointment, and was brought back to a room a few minutes later. The nurse unwrapped my leg and checked both of my legs for a pulse, then took a picture. She was out of the room by no later than 2:50. I was stuck in the room with no cell phone signal because they put a signal block in the rooms and all by my little lonesome until 4:19. He came in and took all of the packing out, did a lot of poking and prodding around the incision site and asked me what meds they had me on for it. He had my chart in his hand so I have no clue why he couldn't just look for himself... by that time I was already really aggravated and ready to just walk out. He then told me his nurse would be back in a few minutes to pack it and then I would be good to go. After waiting for about 45 more minutes, the nurse finally came back in, and she couldn't find what she was supposed to pack it with, so I had to wait for her to go find everything she needed... she didn't get back until almost 5:30...

I also noticed that the nurse used one of the things the doctor used to poke around inside of my leg, which he left on the counter when he left.. and she didn't wash it or anything... so if this infection comes back it will be their fault. Obviously, I was really late for work, and my boss wasn't happy about the time I have taken off for my knees thus far, and I guess my being late and unable to call was the final straw and now I am jobless, which means my car will very likely be gasless when it comes time for my appointment with that doctor on Tuesday since I have to go see my OS Friday... so I am not even planning on going back and I really don't want to because I don't have 4 hours to waste every few days.

Sorry about the rant you all, I am just really upset over all of this right now...

My leg is looking a lot better though, only the spot they are packing is open and still draining. The wound care doc said my OS should be able to pack it Friday, and if he can do that I see no reason to waste my gas going to New Orleans just to have that done... I guess we will see what my OS says about that Friday, and if he still expects me to go he is going to pay for the darn gas that I am wasteing because the last time I checked it wasn't free lol.

Anyway, I guess I need to get off of here before I begin another pointless rant
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2006, 09:28:04 PM »
Well, I went to my OS last Friday, wound care today, and to an infectious disease doctor tomorrow. Today the wound care appt didn't go as bad as last time; only stayed there 2 hours as opposed to last time's 4. Today he suggested putting my leg in a walking cast because just simply walking could be what is keeping the incision open because there isn't much redness, so he really doesn't think it is infected anymore. If that was the case though, I don't see why my OS would still send me to the infectious disease doc... I guess I just need to wait and see what the other doc thinks and then see what my OS has to say Monday.

They did take another culture today, which, if they don't think it is infected, wouldn't be needed, at least in my humble opinion. My leg as a whole still doesn't look very good though, I have a lot of little sores opening up around the area where the ace wrap is, it is still REALLY swollen all the way to my foot... I can't even fit a shoe on my foot... and there is still a lot of pain.

I am starting college on August 14th, and I have classes Monday through Thursday from 12 to 6:15, so I should still have some time to see my doctors without missing class... IF the would care doc won't take a lifetime. My OS wants me to go on to temporary disablilty at school because he doesn't think a 45 minute walk across campus would be very good for my knees right now, so I guess I need to head up there in a few minutes to pick up the papers for him to fill out so I can drop them by his office tomorrow when I go to the other doc.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla

18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2006, 07:09:03 PM »
I saw the infectious disease doctor for the first time this morning, and she was really nice. She decided to get some x-rays to rule out osteomyelitis since I had some really enlarged lymph nodes in my thighs and groin, even though the other doctors said there was no way because of the lack of redness. Come to find out, there is a good bit of bone that is missing, which she said gives it a 99% chance of being osteomyelitis. So, tomorrow they have me scheduled to get a PICC line put in that will be in place for 3 months so I can receive IV antibiotics.

I guess both my OS and the wound care doc were wrong, or else this woman is. I guess I'll have to wait to see what my OS has to say about her diagnosis when I go see him Monday, and he will have the x-rays in front of him to give his explination of everything, and then the x-rays get passed on to wound care, so I guess I will get to hear that doctor's explination next week as well.

I took some more pictures of my knee this morning, and compared them to the ones from before the debridements, it looks WORSE now than it did then. Here are the links if you want to see-- BEWARE if you have a weak stomach.. there is pretty much a gaping hole  :-X

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/infection.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/Pic207jpg-4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/lorie88/Pic206jpg-5.jpg

I am at the point where I can actually say I am terrified. I wasn't too worried about it while I was going to my OS because he kept saying it was nothing major, so I really didn't think much of it. This does explain the amount and depth of the pain I have been having though.

I guess I am about to get off of here and find something else to focus on,
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 07:34:00 PM by scarlit_sky »
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2006, 04:58:48 AM »
Hey everyone, just thought I would pop in and update while I am online tonight since I haven't been on in a while.

I have been taking care of my leg by myself since Friday. My OS showed me how I am supposed to pack it and the nurse taught me how to properly hook up the IV antibiotics to the PICC line. My OS gave me permission to take out the stitches myself Monday because, as he put it, if the incision isn't closed by now there is a reason my body isn't letting it heal and leaving the stitches in there will make no difference. He also began to agree with the infectious disease doc and said there is a good chance there is a bone infection since I am on some of the strongest antibiotics available, the wound should have started to close in a few days after starting them, yet as of today it has actually gotten wider than it was when I started the antibiotics. It jumped from a little over an inch deep and 2 inches wide last Thursday, to just short of 2 inches deep and 3 and a half inches wide as of today. The home health nurse comes out once a week to do blood work, to change the dressing over the line, and to check the area of the wound to see if it is closing in at all. That is a lot better than everyday right now because I have a lot of other things to tend to before school starts on the 14th.

There has also been a lot more swelling, when I woke up this morning my thigh was actually smaller than my calf, which is something I didn't think was possible. It did go down throughout the day, so I don't know if I should be alarmed or not. I guess if it is like that again tomorrow I will call my OS to see what he thinks.

I get my financial aid money in tomorrow, and since I am going to have a little under 3,000 extra I am going to go ahead and get a new car since the one I have probably won't make it much longer. I went and looked this evening and decided upon a Scion xB... or as I put it, a box lol. I got most of the paperwork filled out while I was there, but the banks were closed so they couldn't get a financing rate, which means I have to wait until tomorrow to finish everything so I can bring the car home with me. Needless to say, I am excited lol.

It's almost 11 so I guess I should try to get some sleep...
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 12:52:58 AM »
Hey Kayla!

How's everything going?

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.