Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT #2 + infection  (Read 8766 times)

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
TTT #2 + infection
« on: April 07, 2006, 06:20:47 PM »
I'm finally home. Had surgery Wednesday and was kept in the hospital  for 2 nights because the pain could not be controlled by oral pain meds. The pain finally got under control around 3am this morning, and I was discharged at 10. My OS said the surgery went very well, and he only had to use 2 screws this time.

His post-op protocol has changed since my last TTT, last time he gave me 20 degrees ROM immediately post-op, and right now he has me in a immobilizer and said I will be in it for 4-5 weeks, he wants me to start PT next week instead of waiting 2 weeks. I guess that is a good thing.

My foot is really swollen, I had a sock on it earlier but the swelling managed to pop it off... I would hate to see what my knee looks like right now. I have managed to keep the pain under control thus far, but tomorrow I will not be able to take any pain meds because I have the ACT test to take... let's hope tylenol will work for those few hours. Thank God this is my second time taking it, so if I don't do very well I can still use my last scores which weren't too horrible.

I am waiting for a call from my OS's office right now to find out when he wants me in for a dressing change since he didn't tell me when I saw him this morning. My best guess is Monday morning, which is when he has wanted me in after my last 3 surgeries... we will see though.

I think that is all, hope everyone is well
Kayla
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:38:00 AM by scarlit_sky »
18 y/o
LR 1/05 TTT + MPFL Recon.-- 6/05- R
LR + MPFL recon 12/05 TTT-- 4/06  IND-- 6/06- IND & screw removal-- 7/06 IND 10/06 Exploration 10/06, 12/06, & 2/07-- all left
Chronic Osteomyelitis- Currently facing amputation

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: TTT #2
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:57:30 PM »
Kayla,

Glad you are on this side of surgery, sorry that you've had these pain issues though. 

I'm also in an immobilizer but for at least 6 weeks and no PT until after that.  Protocols all seem to vary, don't they.

Hope that your swelling subsides soon. 

Sending ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 01:32:19 AM »
Hey Kayla,

Glad to hear surgery went so well, but I'm sorry you had pain issues. Hopefully that's all behind you now.

I also wanted to wish you good luck with the ACT tomorrow. I'm taking tomorrow as well, though this will be my first time. Just out of curiosity, why can't you take it again early next fall? And another "just out of curiosity"...where are you thinking about for college?

Kick butt on recovery!

~Erin~
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:38:34 AM by mhsflute07 »
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 12:33:12 PM »
Shade- Protocols do seem to vary, not only from OS to OS, but also surgery to surgery as I have learned now.

Eiin- Good luck to you too! I could take it again next fall if I really had to, but would rather get this behind me now. I will retake it again if I am not happy with my scores this time. I am more than likely going to attend Southeastern Louisiana University since it is really close, like no more than 10 minutes, to my house. I am applying for Mississippi College, Baylor University, and Louisiana State Uni. we'll see what happens though.

Day 3-- The pain is still kind of bad, I just took two tylenol so I hope that will get it under control for now. I am carrying my pain meds with me just in case I need them though. My OS faxed the ACT office so they will allow me to prop my leg up and take my meds today should I need them. Umm, I think I need to go get ready, I just looked at the clock.

I'll update later,
Kayla
18 y/o
LR + MPFL recon 12/05 TTT-- 4/06  IND-- 6/06- IND & screw removal-- 7/06 IND 10/06 Exploration 10/06, 12/06, & 2/07-- all left

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 04:12:36 PM »
hey kayla~

Doesn't it feel great knowing that you're behind surgery #2?  I remember after my second TTT it was almost a relief.  Hopefully you won't run into any problems with recovery and such like I did.  I really don't think you will, but even if you do, they are just small bumps in the road compared to another TTT!  :)  Keep staying positive and taking it easy with recovery.

Good luck with the ACT.  I took mine last year and I hated it so much, that I vowed I wasn't going to take it again!! hehe.  Thankfully, I scored well enough that I didn't need to take it over.  Hopefully the pain keeps at bay and you'll be able to finish your test successfully.

Glad to hear you're doing well.

~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 08:29:57 PM »
Hey Kayla,

I hope the ACT went well today. When I arrived for mine, they said it was cancelled  :o ::) lol...we had bad storms last night and there was a good bit of damage in that area...so we are guessing there was no electricity. Ahh..well...I guess it will be resheduled.

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 11:26:19 PM »
Mandy- It does feel awesome to know this is almost over. I scored a 27 the first time I took the ACT, all of my friends think I am crazy for taking it again but I am such a perfectionist I just HAD to retake it to see if I could do any better, but I think today's scores will end up being way worse than the ones from December.... and, knowing me, I will take it one more time when I am recovered from this surgery just to see what I can do lol.

Erin- You are SO lucky. They were late opening the doors for us this morning, they were supposed to be open at 7:45 with the test starting at 8... the doors weren't open until almost 9 and we didn't start testing until 9:30 and we didn't get out until almost 3 this evening. Thank God my friend Lacey was taking the test with me today, or else I would have been on the ground quite a few times.

After the ACT today we met up with some of our other friends to go eat and then went shopping. By the time I got home I was totally pooped. When I came in to get on the computer one of my crutches managed to fall right on top of my good foot... and now it is all bruised and swollen, so I have ice on both of my feet and my left knee  ::)

*sigh* I think I am going to go lie down for a while.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 10:33:46 PM »
Day 5- I went for my post-op appointment this morning. My OS bent my knee to see how far it would go without too much pain... I managed to get to about 105 degrees, but he was pushing my foot back so I dobut I could do that on my own. There is a lot of bruising, I got some pictures but I haven't uploaded them yet. Since my appointment this morning the pain has been a little worse than it was, but I guess that is to be expected. My OS wants me to take the immobilizer off a few times a day to bend my leg. My next appointment is on the 24th, he said he will take x-rays then and if it looks like it's healed enough he may let me start putting a little weight on it.

I have some friends coming over later, so I guess I need to clean up a little.
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »
Kayla,

Congrats!!

Sounds like everything is going very well.  I've also been given the same instructions about taking the immobilizer off and trying to bend the knee.  Your ROM is great, wow 105. 
Keep up the good work.  ~Shade

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 03:08:07 AM »
Shade-- Thanks for stopping by :) I got to 105 thanks to my OS, I have tried getting it there on my own and I can't get past what I would gess is 40-45 degrees.

I was doing fairly well pain-wise today and survived off of just Aleve... at least until about 2 hours ago. I don't think the pain would have gotten bad if I wasn't such a klutz... I went out with some friends today and we stopped at a convinence store for gas and soda. Well, I was crutching back to the coolers to get a soda and the floor was wet but they didn't have a sign warning people like me lol. One of my crutches slipped and smart me shifted all of my weight to my bad leg to keep from falling... after that the pain got about to the point it was last week. Swelling has been getting better, but it too increased with that incident, mostly around the TTT incision site. I am hoping I didn't cause any damage... guess I will find out at my next appointment if I did.

And, as promised, pictures :)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/drdevraj2.jpg
My wonderful OS :P

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/ttt2postop5days.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/postopttt2-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/post-opTTT2.jpg
At the dressing change 5 days post-op

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/incision-8days.jpg
Incsion today (8 days post-op)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/bruisingbehindknee.jpg
Bruising behind my knee (today)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/footbruising-8days.jpg
bruising down my leg...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/lorie07/footbruisingpostttt2.jpg
And my bruised foot

I have had way more bruising and pain with this TTT than with my right one. Shows how different each surgery can be...

Well, I think I have a date with more ice packs, pillows, my bed and the TV for tonight
Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2006, 03:06:33 PM »
Kayla,

OMG - that is awful what happened at the convenience store.  Hope you didn't harm yourself more, YIKES!!  This stuff happens, nothing you can do about it but rest, ice and elevate. 

Thanks for the pictures.  I've not had any bruising in my foot, but I've noticed a little swelling there. 

Let us know how everything goes at your post-op appointment.  Hope all goes well.  ~Shade

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 01:43:21 AM »
Hi Kayla

I'm so jealous you've already had number 2 done....I'm booked in for number 2 next week.

Best of luck with your recovery. I'm sure you will do fine (just watch out for those wet floors)

It was funny what you said about your foot being swollen. I didn't realise how bad mine was swollen until I went to put my shoes on to go out one night and my bf was trying to do one up for me and I was telling him "no baby the tight hole" and he was saying "it won't go there" and I was insisting that it always went there and otherwise it would be too loose and then I realised it was my silly foot! Well at least it wasn't purple anymore. lol

I looked at your pics and I was wondering - how many people get the incision cut vertically instead of horozontally? Mine is horizontal just under my knee plus the arthroscopy holes.

Best of luck to you all
Brigitta

Offline scarlit_sky

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 03:23:29 AM »
Shade- I had almost no bruising with my last TTT... I don't know what the difference was this time.

Brigitta- Good luck with your surgery next week! I learned not to even bother with tennis shoes, I tried to wear mine on the other day and my foot went numb before I even left the house. Thank God for the Crocs they have out right now, I have a pair in almost every color so I always match :D I'n not sure how many people have horozontial incisions... good question though. I may ask my OS what the big difference is Monday just because you have me curious now.

My steri-strips came off the other day after taking a shower, so now I have gotten to see the real beauty of my incision. I took pictures of it, but it doesn't look very nice so I have decided not to post them right now. I was kind of worried earlier when I looked at it because it has one big yellowish spot and there has been a lot of yellowish discharge... I keep trying to think back to my other TTT to conpare it and see if it's normal. I don't remember though... guess we'll see what my OS says on Monday.

Most of the bruising in my leg is almost gone, the only spot that is still really bruised is behind my knee. The pain lessened for a while, but it is starting to get bad again. I called my OS yesterday about my incision and the pain, he called in more pain meds and told me to keep Neosporin on it until I see him Monday, and he will look at it then.

I have been trying to bend my knee like I was told to do, but it seems like I am not getting anywhere ROM wise.  When I get it bent to around 45 degrees the area from the MPFL reconstruction in December starts pulling really bad and it feels like something is about to pop. I will keep working on it though, and hopefully sooner or later I will get somewhere.

Hope everyone is well,
Kayla
18 y/o

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 03:37:34 AM »
Kayla,

Sounds like things are going pretty good.  Your ROM will come, just might take a little longer cause of the MPFL.  About this discharge, are you using hydrogen peroxide on your scar - that's what they had me do to make sure the site stays clean.  You just daub it on with a q-tip.
My incision for the TTT is about 4 inch diagonal scar and the patella work is 2 1/2 inch scar beginning at the top lateral side of patella, the two screws & some port holes.   

Don't know what the differences are with scars, maybe just doctor preference.  About the foot swelling, I just wear my moccasin on your operated leg - works and is comfy.

Hope the pain meds help until you get in to see the OS on Monday.  Good luck.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 12:59:01 PM by shade »

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »
Hi Kayla

A yellowish discharge from your scar? wtf? I think you should get that checked out hon.

I'll post pics of mine tomorrow and post them so you can see the difference in horozontal scars :-)

best of luck
Brigitta

support