Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: bone cyst and bakers cyst?Second Opinion??  (Read 1801 times)

Offline dmw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
bone cyst and bakers cyst?Second Opinion??
« on: April 07, 2006, 03:20:22 PM »
I am wondering if I should get a second opinion. Had MRI that showed a bakers cyst on back of knee and some other lesion on front of knee. The lesion is on the medial tibial metaphysis and tracks inferiorly to subcortex of bone marrow also on part of menigus(can't remember exact words used on report. Something like that. Tech words were "most likely a hemangioma or other vascular malformation". OS (which I waited over a month for) came in and glanced at MRI did a quick exam and then started to talk about bakers cyst and said probably from beginning of arthritis. I am 36 and family has bad history of bad knees. I had to ask about the lesion. He said "oh" looks like a bone cyst. Go to warm water physical therapy and come back in three months and then will get some regular xrays. I am in a lot of pain and now have to wait 4 months for what? He said I would have to have arthroscopic surgery eventially. Is he just too busy with worst cases and doesn't give a crap that I want the pain to stop? Should I get a second opion or wait for appt.?????
HELP!!!!!  Dena
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 03:24:06 PM by dmw »

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: bone cyst and bakers cyst?Second Opinion??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »
Dena,

It sounds like you and the OS just don't mesh very well. I've had one of those.  Why not spare yoursefl the agony of both waiting 4 months and seeing that OS again? I would find another OS.

Bone cysts and Baker's cysts are an indication that you have a severely irritated knee, which you obviously know given the amount of pain you're in. They are symptoms of some other issue going on in your knee. You need an OS who will work with you to identify and manage the underlying issue. Physical therapy may be a good idea, but you really need to have adequate pain control for it to be effective.

Best wishes.

Jaci
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 09:04:00 PM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline dmw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »
Thanks Jaci.

It took a little while to get the courage to ask for a second opinion. I just put in the request yesterday. My PT lady gave a name she said had good bedside manners and would actually look at the mri. The other doctor didn't read mri or barely look at mri. So the new doctors office has to request notes from other os doc and read them over and then will call me back. She said could take 5 days or so. More waiting. I am getting use to that. I was also wondering about anti inflamitory meds. I was taking perscription for 800mg IB but was doing much but giving me heartburn. Bad os doc said stop taking IB and switch to Alieve smaller dose. Well smaller dose does nothing either. Am now getting nausea plus heartburn. PT said there are other drugs I should ask my doctor for. First of all what doctor. The one I am waiting 4 months to see, or maybe the new one I might see in who knows how long or do I call my gp? Does anyone have recomdation for other drugs I should ask for? I forgot to have PT write down names. Thanks for your reply Jaci I am not always brave on my own and need someone else to help give push for whats best!!!!

Dena

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 01:42:01 PM »
Hi Dena ~ The one thing you needn't worry about is being alone here on the KNEEgeeks. Lots of support available.

I had a Baker's cyst as a result of all the other injuries to my knee but with the reduction in knee swelling, the cyst reduced in size as well. Some people, like me, don't have big issues with them but others have had to have the cysts removed to alleviate the pain & the possibility of the cyst bursting. Hopefully your new OS with sort it all out with you.

I find Advil liqui-gel caps very effective for knee pain. Vicodin had me in lalaland so I quickly turned to the Advil. If the meds upset your stomach, try taking pills with food and/or coating your stomach with something like Pepcid AC or Xantac. Wishing you well..Ellie 
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 02:59:06 PM »
Dena,

Frankly, I find that most OS are not very good with pain management other than in an immediate post-op setting, so it may be better to go to your GP. At one point mine prescribed Arthrotec, it's a combination of an anti-inflammatory (diclofenac, which is also called Voltaran in the US) and something to keep it from irritating your stomach (misprostol). When we tried Vioxx (when it was still available), my doc recommended taking Prilosec with it. I was allergic to the Vioxx, so really don't know if it would have worked.

Good for you for taking the step to see someone else. Just stay on top of the process, if you don't hear from the new OS in a reasonable amount of time, give them a call to see what the delay is. Is there any way that you can help speed up the process of seeing the new OS, perhaps by getting the records yourself and dropping them off at the new place? Also, make sure that you new OS will be getting the actual films from the MRI. Generally only the radiology report is kept in you records at the doctor's office. So you may have to request the films from the old OS office or the MRI facility depending on where they are stored. The main thing is you don't want to assume that they are being sent to the new OS only to find out later that they weren't and now you have another delay in getting the answers you're looking for.

Good luck.

Jaci

10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline dmw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 05:45:03 PM »

Thanks Jaci and Ellie! I am glad I found this board/site!!

My MRI is on the computer and accessible to all in my network of providers. They are able to pull it up very easily as long as they know which clinic I had it done at. I made sure they wrote that down. The baker's cyst really does not bother me at all. It is whatever is in front (bone cyst?)is what I though bad o/s said and then the joint itself. I do want to get copies of my records though. I have a feeling the bad o/s put nothing about it in his notes. If you read my mri report the tech wrote it says lobulated lesion anterior horn of medial meniscus medial tibial metaphysis tracking inferiorly to subcortical bone marrow. I think. It has been a while since I actually saw the report. And also a baker's cyst. We'll see.

After reading so many post here I really don't have it so bad. A lot here have been through quite a bit! I almost feel like a big whinner! But I am not treated that way so I am grateful!!! Thanks again, Dena

support