Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I'm new here and need some friends!  (Read 3343 times)

Offline MeganJRA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
I'm new here and need some friends!
« on: April 07, 2003, 06:32:56 AM »
Hi everyone!  My name is Megan and I will tell you a little about me.  I am 19 years old and have had Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 14.  I have had 3 surgeries on my right knee and 1 on my left.  I take ALOT of medication to control my arthritis flares and therefore have had to stop playing sports.  My knees also had a big part in quitting sports.  Each year of high school brought on another surgery.  All the surgeries have been arthroscopic (sp!) to remove broken cartlidge from the joint.  I actually lead a pretty normal life.  I got engaged on Valentine's Day this year!!!  I am very excited about that, and I am a freshmen in college.  

OK, you know about me, now here are some questions for you!!  (Only if you don't mind)

Do many of you have Arthritis or just knee problems?

Have you had knee replacement, and if so how old were you?  I am so scared that I will have to have that at a young age.

It seems like this is a very close group of people and I hope you will welcome me.  I am a member od crealyjoints.com and it is wonderful.  I just stumbled onto this website and it looks great!  I do have a tendency to slack off on my postings, but I read the new posts everyday.

Anyway, I will stop babbling like a the southern girl I am!  Thanks for listening!

Megan

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: I'm new here and need some friends!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 06:47:47 AM »
MEgan,
I also had JRA from the age of 12. I also have EDS (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) and RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy).

Congratulations on your engagement that is WONDERFUL.

I have knee problems mainly my  left ACL reconstructed twice and have injured it and more AGIAN (including articular cartliage, MCL, LCL and possibly PCL too and I have fibrosis and adhesions too). and had JRA (but have been lucky to grow out of most of it (I am about to turn 32) but stil show signs of it including increased CRP and sometimes positive ANA). I have seronegatiove spondoloarthritis as well in my SIJ's/ pelvis and lower back and also possibly in my wrists and in other joints. I am HLA B27+ whioch means that I am prone to the spondolo arthritis's.
I have not had a PKR or TKR as my EDS and RSD pretty much rule me out for these procedures (I can't even get an OS to reconstruct my ACL again (for a 3rd time).
You are VERY VERY WELCOME and am glad that you found us here at Knee Geeks. You can read and post as much or as little as you like, just try to let us know you are OK occasionally as we tend to worry when one of our knee geek "family" disappears for a while (we worry that they are hurt or in hospital or depressed or such).
WELCOME and GOOD LUCK

By the way I live in Canberra , Australia (WE are from all around the world HERE_)....

Sharon  ;D  ;D
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline jms1001

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 08:08:52 AM »
Welcome!

I'm pretty new here myself...like a week, so i'm glad to see another new person :)

I'm quickly aproching 20, and have had left knee problems for quite a while.  Never looked into it untill now, as walking is an issue.

Like i said, haven't been here long, but i haven't seen a group of people so truly happy to help and give support on the internet, then the folks here.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 08:48:17 AM »
I've been around KneeGeeks for less than two months, but I have found great info and support here.  Welcome aboard!

I was diagnosed in college with arthritis in my right knee. The knee used to swell ("football" knee, they called it) when I ran up the stairs to classes I had on the fifth floor of one of the college buildings. I stopped running up the stairs and sleeping curled into a fetal position (thanks to a husband who started swatting me on the rear end when he noticed I was doing it), and the knee stopped swelling.

I have been trouble-free until I broke my left knee this year.  Everybody assures me that arthritis is pretty much a foregone conclusion, after a break and wires.

Did you notice that there is a subsection on this board for arthritis?

Once again, welcome! ::) :D :)
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2003, 10:18:38 AM »
WELCOME Megan
Sorry you are here, but if you have knee problems(and whatever ;)) this is a good place to be.  I have knee problems, but a few others as well.  Arthritis seems to be at the root of all my difficulties :P.  I am 53 and they still keep saying I am too young for a knee replacement,
so I wouldn't worry about it yet.  Actually the problem seems to be getting one if you need it >:(.  Congratulations on the engagement and on college. Go ahead and babble, rant, whine, that's what we are here for ;D  Welcome again
Rich
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 06:52:46 PM »
Hi and welcome to this site, Im sure now you have found it you'll be addicted like everyone else is.
I havent got the arthritis but on the main page theres a special section for arthritis sufferers and Im sure you'll find lots of people in there that can answer your questions. Its such a shame that you have such problems at such a young age. I wish you luck, Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 09:08:57 PM »
Hi & a big Welcome to you Megan

I'm 21 & I was diagnosed with JRA at 15.

I've had a few surgeries for it but I'm not contemplating a knee replacement just yet.

I hope you find the board as helpful a I have found it & hope to here more from you soon

Iona

Stacey

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 09:21:31 PM »
Hi Megan

I am 21 and have had 3 surgeries on my right knee.  Dont have arthritis (at least havent been diagnosed) but am workign on a diagnoses of HMS (i think).  I am also concerned about hte possiblity of a knee replacement at a young age but tend to just ignore things like that as it tends to just add more stress onto an already stressfull life.

Welcome to the board :)

Stacey

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2003, 08:19:39 AM »
Just thought I'd chime in on the welcome! I really dont have much informatuion to offer you :-/. Im 15, have chondromalacia and were working on finding other thinggs, and I too am a southern chikc... Born and raised in Georgia!  Glad you found the board... I have gotten a lot of much appricated support in the short time I have been a member here! If you ever need to chat feel free to send me a message!!

Emily
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2003, 11:13:09 PM »
Hi Megan,
Welcome to the board! We're all really glad to have you here! I'm 23 and have maltracking problems in both of my knees but my problem one is my left. I've had 3 surgeries and am probably facing a 4th in a few months to remove scar tissue and just explore. I do have arthritis to some degree because of the cartilage damage and I have been told that there is a strong chance that I will need a knee replacement at sometime in my life-although nobody would do it for many years.

This board really is the best place for people with knee problems! I hope you find it as helpful as I always have!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

SL99

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2003, 01:53:06 AM »
Hi Megan,

Just wanted to add to the welcomes!  :)

I'm 27 years old and although I don't have JRA, I have some arthritic changes in my spine and other joints from the connective tissue disorder I have. I mainly suffer from the joint pain and symptoms of the EDS/Marfan and possible RSD though - I'm another Odd bod like Shaz I'm afraid! (sorry Shaz!)  ;)

I'm really sorry to hear that you suffer from the JRA, but I admire the way that it doesn't rule your life. Congratulations on your engagement and good luck with your college work too.

By the way, I'm in the UK..and I babble on too!  ;)

Take care and I look forward to catching up with you around the board. Sending you a welcome hug.

Love........Jo
xxx

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2003, 05:26:32 PM »
HI
Seems like you found the right place! Welcome to the board. Maybe one of these days we will start a new section for the 'rheumatoid' type of arthritis, as there are a number of you with similar problems.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2003, 12:50:28 AM »
Hey Megan

Welcome to this site - I hope that we will be able to answer your questions and will be able to make you have a place to come when things are down, although you don't have to feel bad to come on here - we also try and have a few gigles ;D

Feel free to come and go as much as you like, this is not a competition to see how many postings you can make or don't make.  

Congratulations on your engagement!  Perhaps you can tell us about your hunk! ;)

Love and hugs - already!!
Lizzie :-* :-* :-*
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline bayrab

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Gotta ride - despite bum knee!
    • BayRab Acres
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2003, 06:19:29 AM »
Hi Megan.. I drop in  and out from this board. I'm old enough to be your mother.. I'm suffering from old timers' knee, LOL... seriously, th ough, I'm glad you're here.I've been learning a lot on this board and I'm sure y ou will too. And if you just want to vent about how bad it hurts, we'll all have lots of sympathy for you!!!

chris

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2003, 03:14:31 AM »
Welcome Megan,

I'm another old enough to be your mother--I'm 47 with 8 kids my oldest being 21, then an 18 year old right diown to my 5 year old.  Congratulations on your engagement!!!

As for knee things, I have osteoarthritis.  Before my knee replacement on the left in December, it had one surgery and my right has had 3 (so we have something in common...)  My ortho told me there is nothing else surgically that can be done for my knees and we will be replacing the right one in July.

Glad to have you on board, there is a lot of help and support and genuine caring on this board.  I think I've learned that it takes another knee person to really get all of this...Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

support