Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How to keep off the Extra Pounds!!  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: How to keep off the Extra Pounds!!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 05:14:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure that no one wants to try my weight loss method but I did the "break-up" diet. I lost about 20 lbs after I left that "@$$" that I was with. I have been able to keep it off, don't know how but it has stayed off. 

Good luck to everyone with whatever is is they are doing!

Offline dmturner

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 04:54:41 AM »
Since all of my doctors and pt's think I should lose some weight, I have been trying, but it's soooooo hard.  The one thing I have done since the 1st of the year is switch from regular Pepsi to diet.  I guess neither one is good for me, but at least I've managed to lose a little from that.  I'm about 12 pounds down with about 45 to 50 to go.  I'm at a standstill now because of surgery.  I just hope I don't gain it back. 

A friend of mine's husband quit drinking beer for a year, and he lost 11 pounds.  That's the only change he made.

Donna
9/04 L TPF Plate w/6 screws;
5/05 R Calcaneal Process Fracture Surgery;
2/06 L Hardware Removal & Patellar Debridement;
8/06 R Great Toe Fusion;
1/07 L TKR

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »
ok, I am officially loosing weight again! Woohoo ;D!!

I know most of you probably can't do the sporty things I do, but believe me watching your food helps too! And drink lots of water!

I eat half the food I used to eat before, mainly healthy things like lots of vegetables, steamed vegetables, no mayonaise, no candy, no chocolate (Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh), nothing with sugar basically! I try to drink at least 2 liters of mineral water (yes this helps but it makes you RUN to the toilet which isn't always handy esp not when at work ::) :P). Instead of candy I eat yoghurt. Mornings and evenings I eat Cracottes, which are those really light toasts. And I try not to drink too much Diet Coke... (1 can 33cl a day)

Apart from that I play badminton on monday (2hrs) and thursday (1hr). I go for a 4km run every other day, my BF now even joins me hooray, but he runs faster than me and I don't want to stay behind so... At work I am on my feet 8hrs (I am an ER nurse) but THAT doesn't seem to help in any way... Also the kitchen table at work is filled with a LARGE basket full of candy which is really bad for my moral but I asked my collegues to support me and every time I work the basket goes into the cupboard, safely away form my hands... ::)

BTW I am on this regime for 1 week now and already lost 2 kg! I want to keep running, it gives me a good feeling and it's good for me, It keeps me positive thinking (sounds weird but I feel like I should do this as I feel soo much better and more positive after I ran).

I just hope the knees won't give in! My R knee of course is protesting in the time between the runs. I am sore after a run but hey I am kinda always sore in the knees so who cares??

If you can't run like I can go to the fitness or something like that.

BTW anyone ever tried spinning (cycling on music)? I want to give that a go too...

Everyone have fun dieting and... get off that computer chair and get exercising!! ;D

Helena  :-*
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 06:58:59 PM »

Everyone have fun dieting and... get off that computer chair and get exercising!! ;D  Helena  :-*

Helena,

That is a good one.  It is so hard though to start moving.  I've been losing some weight and I've done it by cutting back on the sweets, drinking water and only drinking diet coke or diet pepsi.  It's so hard to change the bad habits.

Eating lots of fruit helps also.

~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline KnowKnees

• Regular Poster
  • Too young for 2 total knees / revision
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 12:52:20 AM »
You might think about trying the "Sleep N Slim" drink that everyone is raving over.  It is all natural and you drink it before bed.  There are many older users who say this is the greatest diet aid especially for those who metabolism is slowing down.  Sleep N Slim is made by Eurobotanicals?  Anyway there are other aids using the same name, so be sure you get the original.

I did it for two weeks then quit.  I lost five pounds.  I will think about doing it again when I get over my knee replacment revision.

I am going on the "TKR" pain diet tomorrow my revision is at 8:30am.  I am dreading it and looking forward to getting my knee fixed finally.

Best of luck on the weight loss. 

Michale
Knowknees - Left TKR (2005) and Left revision one year later (2006), Right knee - medial menisectomy (1977), arthroscope (2003), Right TKA scheduled November 2006

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 01:31:36 AM »
Hello!
  I had gotten down on myself to remember cause I gained weight. Well went from size 10-12 to 16!! after accident. :'( I decided after I could go out and do things, I waas not happy cause of the way I looked. I drank water, LOts, ate breakfast for the first time in ten years,lunch ate yogart or ceral bars (2), ate regular dinner 1 plate. If I snacked it was friut or low calories. Cut out most of junk. I got up and limped around the house or went for limps. Started to have sex again, hubby happy. I even have gone dancing. The one thing that I noticed mostly was after off almost all pain meds I lost some bloating etc. If I am down for some reason, I do head lifts to about shoulders. If sitting around to much I suck in my gut and out. That will help.  Diet soda is worst for losing weight. It has taken me around 10 weeks, but I am in my 12 again with out jumping off the bed into them :D. Mostly keep my hands busy so I don't lift that elbow. I do alot of puzzles, computer,hand held poker games. I have even colored pictures :P Started to draw again, trying to paint if I can get shaking under control, I have done just about evrything and it gets me through. I hope you can use some of this. Depression creeps in on you and movement lacks, but food comforts.
BIKERSMURF.
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline KnowKnees

• Regular Poster
  • Too young for 2 total knees / revision
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 04:41:19 AM »
Dear BikerSmurf,

Way to go on the weight loss.   :o Size 16 to a size 12!  That was work when you have cratered knees. 

I just got out of the hospital from total knee revision.  I think I might have lost 10 pounds on the morphine hurl.  Are you familar with that weight loss program?   :)

I am feeling great.  Swelling minimal, brusing minimal, and range of motion is good.  I am truly taking it EASY this time around. 

Keep up the good work on the weight loss program.  I am going to try and keep going in the right direction once I am over my rehab and all.

I know the depression you talk about when things feel out of your control. 
Michale
Knowknees - Left TKR (2005) and Left revision one year later (2006), Right knee - medial menisectomy (1977), arthroscope (2003), Right TKA scheduled November 2006

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 01:42:49 AM »
Hi all, it's been awhile since I posted. I check in from time to time but thought this topic was a good place to start again.

I had my surgery a year ago in December. Took a long time to get back to doing some of the normal things in life like walking without much pain and doing stairs.. I still have some aching in the knee cap area and where the cartilage was trimmed. BUT  I Love to cross country ski. And I started off this season at 184 lbs. At least 15 lbs more than I should have been.
I went to the Dr. this past December for choking when I sleep and swollen uvula.
Turns out I have acid reflux , but not the heart burn that comes with it. Also found I have very high cholesterol  So I had to change my diet drastically.  Big time wakeup call there as heart disease is in the family.

I was struggling to drag my sorry butt up those hills and the knee was yelling at me too to get rid of the gut. So I gave up my dearly loved foods. Cheese, Red meats, spicy foods, yougurt, sour cream,eggs, butter, hot dogs, sausage, sweets, fatty chips. And went to salads of romaine,celery,carrots,broccoli. Paul Newman's light dressings. Tuna, chicken done in a crock pot and skinless. Whole grain breads and cereals with at least 4 grams of fiber . Soy milks for cereal. Lots of water too.

I was also told that raw, not instant oatmeal is what takes care of the cholesterol. So I take frozen berries and xylitol for sweetener to toss in that. Can't have citrus fruit with acid reflux so Bananas and some apples are okay.
Remember foods with fiber are more filling. So you are less likely to eat more.  I know most of you can't be active now or you wouldn't be on this site.

But That change alone brought on a weight loss of 11 pounds in less than 3 weeks.After that it took awhile to see more weight loss.
 As the weight came off the skiing got easier for the knee. And just today I weighed in at 159 lbs! in 3 months that was 25 lbs on a medium frame gone. I skied 150 KM in 4 days this past week.
I do still have aches in the knee and some snapping and popping but it feels much better. And nearing 49 yrs of age I didn't think I could make it back this far. And a lot of it is because of the diet change.  Comfort foods are very hard to give up. But you can do it !!! All my best to each one of you , Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 11:29:23 AM »
Ronxski,

Good hearing from you again, Ron.  Sounds like you've done really well with the weight-loss, WOW!!  I'm doing not too bad in that dept, but have had a few slips.....   Just have a very sweet tooth and can't resist chocolate cake.  Oh well!!

Glad to hear that you are back on the slopes again.  Horray!!

~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline rialy

• Regular Poster
    • Alice in the Shadows - one of my projects!
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 05:10:29 PM »
tons of great ideas - i will have to try some of them.  i had been relying on walking or bicycling (not stationary) to balance the chocolate intake or otherwise delicious but not good for me food days!!!

now i'm on my butt - am a bit surprised that my os (he is new to me and i really do not like him) told me to simply to promise not to walk - and not to put weight on my right knee for a month.  he gave no ideas of anything i could do. so no treatment no pt  ::)  i'm not as bad off as most of you - at least not pain wise in the knee.  but i had my left lung removed in feb 05 and really need to exercise to allow my right lung to expand. 

this abrupt halt of movement has me depressed and gaining weight and not working on expanding my right lung or breathing capacity.

i do chi-gong - 8 treasures and other self-healing chi type work (i will find out more from my teacher but i'm sure there are some things that must be very good for the knees) and found most of it can still be done.  i did 8 treasures last week while sitting - it was still very beneficial.

anyway, just wanting to put in my two cents while reading all around this wonderful website (i've spent a ton of hours here the past couple of days!!!  ;D) and wanting to make some new friends and share stories...

till next time,
RiAly
fell Feb 21 06
TP Fx and torn meniscus
Waiting for next OS appointment April 12th
Meanwhile using crutches + knee sleeve w/Patella Support

Offline sassygrams

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 04:45:42 AM »
Hello Everyone!  What a subject!  With my knees weight has certainly been a battle since that first surgery when I was 19 back in 1976. I think I have tried just about all of the standard diet plans out there and every kind of exercise that my knees would tolerate (which wasn't much). I found that exercise bikes and machines like the Gazelle (no impact) work great for me.  I was told that with my knees as bad as they are that walking wasn't a good idea for exercise, but I say if you can tolerate it, walk. If you can't walk, hobble as much as you can! In my current state I hobble around my building three to four times a day with my two dogs. As far as the food goes, cut back on red meat (I eat lots of chicken breast) and try to limit fats and sugars as much as possible ... drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water a day. I have lost almost 40 pounds since the 2nd of January. I use Weight Watchers points as my guide. Don't forget whole grains, I use whole wheat bread and eat oatmeal 3 to 4 times a week for breakfast (Quaker Fruit & Cream variety). Don't skip meals or cut yourself too short on calories. It will only slow your metabolism way down. I have never been big into fruit and veggies but if you are, most veggies are very low in calories, don't overdo the fruit. Some of you may not be able to get some of these products but they have helped me out a ton.  I Can't Believe its Not Butter Spray .... zero calories and gives a buttery taste to just about anything. I use Splenda as an artificial sweetener, and Nabisco 100-Calorie Packs are super for snacks, salty and sweet. I also eat Lean Cuisines for one meal almost every day. Of all the frozen low cal foods they taste the best in my opinion. Don't ever deprive yourself of something you really want to eat. I usually take one day a week and have one or two things that I have really been craving. Just don't forget to get back to it again. If you screw up, don't beat yourself up over it, just get back with the program! I will be happy to answer or help anyone that has any questions. I have been doing this for a LONG time! Best of luck to all ....

support