Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: and i'm post op yet AGAIN!!  (Read 9092 times)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
and i'm post op yet AGAIN!!
« on: March 31, 2006, 01:55:54 AM »
hey everyone~

wow i never thought i'd be posting again for another one of my post op diaries...here i am again, dead wrong!!  :P  as some of you may know, my OS suggested to get a bone scan just to make sure he wasnt missing anything.  well, I had the bone scan early this tuesday morning (March 28th) and then had my OS appt later in the afternoon.  he told me and showed me that the scans showed some def. hot spots that he really didn't like seeing.  he then proceeded to tell me that "i know i sound like a broken record, but i strongly strongly suggest taking a look inside again, and at least removing the screws from the TTT".  his whole surgery plan was to take all screws out of both knees (2 screws per knee) and then scope out the left TTT site to make sure something wasnt weaker than it should be and use a bone graft to fix it. 

just my luck, i was scheduling surgery, and as we were filling out paperwork, the surgery coordinator got a phone call that one of my OS's patients had JUST cancelled their surgery.  the nurse looked at me and goes "well, how about surgery tomorrow?"   :o :o that seriously caught me off guard.  it was either this, or wait til almost may to have it done.  so, yesterday afternoon (March 29th) i was in the OR yet again.  my OS got in there and found what he expected along with some more.  he removed the screws from the right and left leg, and found that my left osteotomy site needed both the bone graft on the lateral side of the site, and a little debridement on the medial.  oyy what a road it has been!   :-X 

i do have to say that it's getting REALLY sad when 99% of the surgery staff remembers who you are!!  all of my nurses asked me if they knew me from somewhere, and one asked if i just loved being here.  i replied, "oh knee surgery is just another hobby i've picked up!"  :P  the anesthesiologist even knew exactly what anesthetic i wanted before me even saying it.  he pushes me for general and i always go for spinals.  the nurse anesthetist was prepping me to go under when the anasthesiologist burst in the door and said, "no no no!!  she wants a spinal!!"  :D  thought that was pretty funny.

all in all i feel pretty good.  no nausea yet which is a first.  guess its the new anti-nausea stuff they've perscribed.  the pain really sucks, not going to lie.  i didnt think it would hurt this much, but i guess thats what pain meds are for.  slowly but surely i'm getting ROM back and had my first dressing change.  the OS opened all of my TTT scar on my left knee for the scope etc. and then only a little of the right, just to get the screws out. 

that's pretty much all for now.  time for a new ice pack and a nice nap is calling my name!! 

take care,
~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: and i'm post op yet AGAIN!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 01:55:18 PM »
Mandy,  Sorry you needed another surgery!  Praying that this will fix your knee for good and get you back to your active life and Hockey.

HUGs

Rosssie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 02:06:13 PM »
Mandy -

On the one hand - this sucks!  On the other hand - it's great that your OS is really listening, and didn't ignore yoru complaints.  Hopefully the OR staff will never see you again, and you will go on to a life without knee issues.

Keep icing and sleeping.  Everything is better with ice and sleep.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:44:50 PM »
Hey Mandy,
What a week you've been through! Hopefully your OS has got you all fixed up though.
Happy Healing,
 ;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »
Hey Mandy!

Just wanted to wish you good luck with recovery. I'm sure everything will go really smoothly and you'll be back to normal in no time. Hope to catch up this weekend!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:38:37 PM »
Wow Mandy, cant believe you got it done so quick...... :o
Good luck with a speedy recovery,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 03:54:58 AM »
Wow Mandy, you do it like a pro huh? I'm glad you are post op and that you didn't really have to wait all that long, I mean I know 24 hours is a long wait.. lol but atleast you are back on the road to recovery.. AGAIN!

Hopefully this time, you can keep yourself away from surgery for awhile... there must be a hot doctor or something keeping you going back time after time. :)

Take care

Linds ;D
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »
Mandy..guess that you even hadn't time to think about it this time..any way hope all goes well and that you are up on your feet soon again. Hope this will do the trick so you feel better after.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Patty0513

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 05:39:02 PM »
Mandy,

I am sorry that you had to have more surgery.  Hopefully this will fix everything and put an end to your knee pain.  Wishing you a speedy return to the ice.

Patty

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »
thank you all for your kind words!!  :) 

i'm day 3 post op and doing pretty well.  i actually had my first shower this morning and that was AMAZING.  that feeling of the first shower sure doesn't get old.   :P  pain-wise, my right knee is actually getting back to normal again.  not a whole lot of pain and swelling is down to a minimum.  on the left knee, it still feels like i just had another TTT and that is not exactly my cup of tea.  swelling is alright in the knee area, but my ankle and foot are just crazy swollen.  i've been icing alot so hopefully this goes down real soon! 

i'm getting my energy back which is always a plus.  now i guess that means i have to actually start doing my schoolwork from what i missed!  :-X  i had my first outting for a bit yesterday.  it was actually a big outting lol.  i'm in orchestra and we had a festival to play at in a town around 60 miles away.  ended up going pretty well.  it was held at a middle school.  kids there really find crutches fascinating i guess... ::)  a girl from another orchestra ran into me while i was in the doorway.  my friends got pissed, that girl ended up apologizing in the end hehe.  :P 

thats all for now.  back to icing...

~Mandy
21 yrs old

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 08:22:52 PM »
almost forgot....  i have post op pictures, including pics of the screws that i kept!! hehe   http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/knockdownhockeychick87/my_photos   

it's under Surgery #5
21 yrs old

Offline Steve_K

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 11:32:11 PM »
Jeesh.....

I hope this is it for you Mandy!  With your determination, spirit, and fiestiness, (and a good surgeon) you are going to have the sweetest knees in the State of Hockey!

College plans for next year?......even if you don't play on a women's team, our little girls need role models like you to coach them.  Make sure you save some time to volunteer!  Gotta tell you, the greatest times I spent on the ice weren't playing.....they were coaching the kids.  Hope you can do the same someday.

Best wishes,

Steve
8-04 RtK ACL Recon & Menisectomy, LK scope, patella shaving
1-05 LK synvisc & patella bracing
4-8-05 LK LR, VMO Advance, TTT
1-4-06 Screw removal
6-5-07 LK Arthroscopic chondroplasty, synovectomy
4-2013 RK oblique medial meniscus tear, ganglion cyst, baker's cyst - arthroscopy
11-19 staged bilat TKR

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 01:19:11 PM »
Hang in there Mandy..I'm convinced that you're back to ice hockey sooner or further.
Glad you could get out and have some fun...makes life easier.
Continue iceing so you get out on ice soon again :P
HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 02:34:46 AM »
thanks nettan and steve!!

steve~ i'm going to a college around here with really great sports.  i dont plan on playing Division I sports because i will actually be working with them due to my Major (Athletic Training and Exercise Science).  i'll still be able to be involved with hockey which rocks.  thinking i'll probably tryout for the club team or something though.  i already volunteer with preschool and elementary school kids to teach em skating which is so rewarding.  i just LOVE it!! :)

back to the knee... i'm 5 days post op and feeling pretty good actually.  it was my first day back at school which was a little tough, but my teachers were awesome about everything so that helps.  i was so sick of crutching around, i just ditched the crutches and spent the day cruth free.  got a little tiring at the end of the day, but it's so much easier getting around minus the sticks.  pain wise, i'm still taking a hydrocodone due to the pain mainly in the left knee.  still feels like i had another TTT which just really bites.   :-X  my right knee already has full ROM and is showing lovely shades of black and blue!!  the steri-strips came off this morning on my right, they're still holding on on the left however.  ::)  my right knee is pretty much back to "normal looking" besides the bruising.  not swollen or anything. 

the left is still pretty swollen and of course more bruised.  i do get a little worried about the area at times.  just randomly through the day i'll get these faint red marks, almost streaking.  it gets kind of warm occassionally, but then dissappears all the time.  i've taken my temperature and don't have a temp.  should i be worried at all about that??  i go back to my OS tomorrow for my post op visit.

thats about it.  now back to make up homework.  oh joy :P

~Mandy
21 yrs old

Offline Amanda82032

• Forum Faithful
  • Have you hugged your Orthopedic Surgeon today?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 09:16:40 PM »
Hey Mandy!!

Hope those knees are doing good! I need updates on the post op visit! I hope you looked at those x-rays :P Get well soon!!!

-Amanda
18yo
Jan. 04=LR=R
Mar. 04=VMO Adv=R
Jul. 04=VMO Adv=L
Jan. 05=Chondroplasty=R
Jul. 05=TTT=R
Nov. 05=TTT=L
Jan. 06=Goodbye staple=R
Jul. 06=Patella ligament recon&shortened patellar tendon=R
Dec. 06=Goodbye staple=L
May 07=diagnosed w/EDS