Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Unloader brace - temporary fix before osteotomy?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Scooby

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Unloader brace - temporary fix before osteotomy?
« on: March 29, 2006, 05:17:35 PM »
Hi

I have just been told I have a rotational deformity in my tibias and varus deformity of 4 degrees in my right knee.  I had a microfracture on my left knee 14 months ago which still gives me pain but according to a recent MRI the microfracture has worked.

My consultant has recommended that I use an unloader brace for approx 3 months to get rid of the bone oedema and then hopefully I could wean myself off it and only use for sports etc.  If the brace doesn't work, he may have to do an osteotomy.

The more posts I have read, the more I am beginning to think that the brace will only be a temporary fix before I will need to have an ostoetomy.  Is this true, or could it be that the brace will work and I can just use that from now on (or this just wishful thinking!!)  Is an osteotomy a permanent fix or could I one day be looking at TKR.  I am 34 years old and play hockey and would like to keeping playing if at all possible.  Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

The consultant also mentioned bone scans if the brace doesn't work.  Is this something I should be worried obout? 

Not really sure if I am worrying unnecessarily about operations and future problems

Thanks for any help and info you can give

Scooby xx
20/12/04   Left knee microfracture
8/6/10      Right knee microfracture, plica removal and high tibial osteotomy with external fixator