Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: have a question  (Read 980 times)

Offline xeromystery

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
have a question
« on: March 28, 2006, 02:42:17 AM »
I hurt my knee back in Oct/Nov 2005 initially.  We heat with firewood and I was helping pile a LOT of firewood from a pile on the ground.  I was using my knees/legs to lift heavy loads and I felt a huge pop, then I started feeling pops every time I lifted and my outer knee hurt and wouldn't support me as well.  After that, I rested for a few days, and it seemed better.  But it has kept flaring up over the months continued. 

The main symptoms are pain on the outside of my knee that extends up into my thigh at times, and pain upon bending my leg to walk.  I just finished a walk-a-thon type thing last week and my knee has been killing me now.  I tried getting a brace from the store, but that doesn't seem to help much.  I have no idea what I have, and don't really have the money at the moment to go to the doctor.  From what I've read, it's either an injury to the LCL - which seems unlikely, since it's rarely injured by itself, or iliotibial band syndrome. 

I'm curious as to whether crutches or a special brace would help with either of these.  I've been told if I go to the doctor they'll probably blow me off or just give me anti-inflammatories (which are pretty hard on me so I try not to take them much) and that it would require an MRI to diagnose.  I guess I just really want it to stop hurting and I'd like to know if there's anything that will speed that up.

Thanks for your time. 

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
Re: have a question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »
Your right your probaly going to have to go get it checked, and Gp will send you somewhere while giving you something for inflamatory and maybe pain. Best advice keep off of it as much as possible, can use crutches but remeber not to baby it so much it stiffins so bad. Try ice and rest.
BS
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline xeromystery

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: have a question
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 06:28:27 PM »
Thanks.  You're probably right.

support