Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is this even remotely possible?  (Read 6368 times)

Offline kk_031106

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Is this even remotely possible?
« on: March 28, 2006, 02:49:29 AM »
I just saw this article in ESPN after some googling.. Not sure if this is a right place to put this article... Or if already someone has posted it before... Anybody ever hear about this treatment?

http://espn.go.com/wnba/columns/lieberman/1802706.html

Nine days had passed since DeLisha Milton-Jones had suffered what two MRIs revealed as a torn ACL, and she still couldn't bear weight on her right leg. But ever since twisting the knee during practice for the USA Basketball Senior National Team on Feb. 22, the 6-foot-1 forward refused to believe the ligament was torn. Something inside of her urged her to believe the knee would be OK.

So turning her back on traditional medicine, Milton-Jones was relying on the Austrian physician, Dr. Mohammad Khalifa, and his "knee tissue manipulation," which is believed to stimulate re-growth of the tissue in a non-invasive procedure. Khalifa told Milton-Jones his hands are so sensitive that he can feel the nerve endings in the body, and by rubbing his thumbs in a circular motion on the front of Milton-Jones' knee, Khalifa believes he stimulates those nerve endings to help encourage the body's natural healing process.

How else can you describe her recovery? Although two MRIs -- one by USA Basketball shortly after the initial injury and a second test five weeks later by the L.A. Sparks -- indicated a complete tear of the ACL in her right knee, Milton-Jones' latest MRI shows scar tissue but no tear.

RACL Tear March 06
RACL Recon?

Offline Nails

• Regular Poster
  • I love sports!!
Re: Is this even remotely possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:02:24 AM »
Shoot I don't believe it at all  ::).... Who's this doctor anyway. I mean my knee felt good too after a month and a half of resting and icing. and "normal"... it can "regrow tissue" but a ligament? you've got to be kidding me.

maybe her's was only partially torn and that's why she's back so soon. not all acls need surgery...
ACL Reconstruction June '05 (Hamstring Graft)
MCL Tear Grade III
Bone Bruise
Cyst
Dried up cartilage on bone
"Its time to release the beast.. Let me play!"
*18 years old*

Offline kk_031106

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:42:50 AM »
Nails, what shook me was that the article mentions that two MRI reports indicated complete tear.. while the third MRI report after the treatment indicated that tear was healed (though there were scar tissues)..
RACL Tear March 06
RACL Recon?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 07:03:17 AM »
I have several friends in Vienna who pretty much vouch for the guy and the method.  One has a neurosurgeon brother who looked into this guy for me, and he has apparently effected many miraculous cures in that he used manipulation and soft tissue release to help people regain function.  I don't know about fixing a completely severed ACL, but this story actually came out more than a year ago.  Shouldn't be too hard to follow up on the player.

If you want more info, I can figure out a way to get you in touch with my friends--they're very nice and eager to help me with my knee issues.  I'm sure that would extend to another kneegeek... ;D

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 09:43:03 AM »
I would imagine that scar tissue would be far weaker than the original ACL, although appearing healed.  I gather this patient was/is a professional athelete, so their muscle strength would be far stronger than the average patient, greatly compensating for the weakened ACL....plus mind over matter is a great psycological help.
Whatever, it is a pretty amazing article :o.
Ive heard alot of great news about these types of healers, although it does seem a bit wierd and unbelievable.  Plus the great thing is, there is no knife involved!.  If it works, thats brilliant, if not, there is nothing lost!

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline kk_031106

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:21:34 PM »
This is my understanding of why ACL tear cannot be healed on its own like MCL.. My understanding is that there is insufficieint blood supply to ACL and hence ACL does not heal easily..Is this correct? If so by some technique, if we can have blood flow to ACL , it should heal on its own? Does this explanation seem to simplistic to be true?
RACL Tear March 06
RACL Recon?

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 11:39:27 PM »
Are the medial and lateral collateral ligaments "twisted bundles"?  If not, that may explain the difference.  ACL tear was described to me as tear, then progressive unraveling of the bundled ligament. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 12:18:19 AM »
I find it hard to believe, and won't believe it until someone can do some more research. How does the tissue re-connect?
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 01:20:24 AM »
Scar tissue is the key here for 'healing' the ACL.  So maybe healing is a bad term, instead it should be compensating for or remodeling (vs reconstruction  :P ).  And actually, any ACL recon depends on scar tissue to provide strength and stability--it's how we heal.

Look on the web using keywords and you'll find lots of stuff on this guy and others like him.  If you can understand Austrian German, then you'll find even more.  I had help with translation...

Heather

PS there's a PT in NYC who does something along the same lines--he has also 'cured' professional athletes.  I can dig up his name if anyone is interested.
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 01:41:47 AM »
am I understanding this correctly?

a) complete tear of the ACL, verified by MRI
b) Dr. Khalifa reconnects the ACL together,  or in the case of a tear from the bone, he maneuvers the torn piece and reconnects the ligament manipulating this into place, hoping scar tissue will hold it together?

I don't buy it.

Perhaps it works for a partial tear?

torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline kk_031106

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 02:39:38 AM »
JB, I understand your doubts.. If there is a method to heal ACL tear without surgery and faster too, why isn't this method popular?

Is it fear of the unknown? Are we missing some sideffects or dangers of this treatment..May be a less experienced Doctor or PT will mess up your total knee?? Lot of unanswered questions??
RACL Tear March 06
RACL Recon?

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »
being a medical man (animal medic) myself, I am rather sceptical. If the ACL is completely torn, the frayed bits of ACL are just floating round in the joint, there's no way they can reattach. Even if they could, it wouldn't be strong. This is why an ACL is reconstructed using a tendon. Surgeons have tried suturing it back together but it doesn't work.

Robin
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline feeny

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 08:14:04 PM »
might have just fixed itself to the pcl??

who knows, there are billions of knees in the world and they are all different and I reckon at least a few of them could probably work miracles...
Sep-05 ACL rupture, Medial mensical tear, MCL rupture
Oct-05 Had it all repaired (hamstring graft, meniscal rivet)
-and then-
4.5 Months post-op Snowboarding like a demon
7 Months post-op Successful return to indoor soccer (YEH!)
-and then-
Mar-2015 Arthroscopy to fix meniscus

Offline bball_11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 01:44:30 PM »
Did anyone read the follow-up? Milton blew out her acl on that same knee around july-aug that year. Therefore I wouldn't trust any spiritual guru. Reconstruction is the surest way to go.
The tragedy of life does not lie in not reaching your goals, the tragedy lies in not having any goals to reach.
                                                           B. Franklin

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 04:47:22 PM »
Yes I DID! And was just about to post it. She still has no regrets and doesn't blame the medicine man. She was very very lucky she didn't do major damage though. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true. There is no way around surgery at least not in this day and age. If I wait to get this ACLR it's like I'm pulling a band aid off really really slow, I mean sheer torture, not to mention making more of a mess of my knee. I'd rather just get it done much like ripping the bandaid off quickly, even if it does take some skin with it! Oh, I can't wait to get this over with. The suspense...  ::)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:49:21 PM by celinenj03 »
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

support