Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Pain  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Loves2RunMel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Pain
« on: March 25, 2006, 11:27:59 PM »
Hello,I am a 21 year old female college student.  In October I started having knee pain, I kind of ignored it (stupidly) and continued to exercise 5 days a week. Instead of running I would go on the stairclimber until my knee started to hurt too bad to do that.  I saw an Orthopedic doctor in January. He diagnosed me with patellofemoral syndrome. He told me that I will be able to run again and just take physical therapy to help strengthen my knee.  I recently stopped going to physical therapy, after 5 weeks, because I got extremely busy and thought that it wasnt really helping too much and what my knee really needed was rest and time to heal itself.  I have to admit, not being able to workout the way I used to has really gotten me down.  :-[ I love exercising and not having it in my life has been really hard.  I was wondering how long this takes to heal and what I should do to help heal my knee. Im desperate for information and anyone who has experienced it your input is especially important. Thanks!

Melissa
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 01:02:14 AM by Loves2RunMel »

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
Re: Knee Pain
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 12:48:28 AM »
First of all..what's wrong with your knee..a hurt knee can mean anything to us here....need more info to comment...

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Loves2RunMel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 01:03:17 AM »
Sorry, forgot to add what the physician diagnosed me with...i added it to the original post but im inserting it here too.  Patellofemoral syndrome.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 11:42:51 PM »
Sorry I didn't see your original post..I know how frustrating is not being able to do what you noramlly do....but unfortunatly you need those knees and it takes time to heal..different from person to person.....now being young alwasy helps speed up the prosess, so just be patient...yeah that word again....and there are tons of exersizes you can do that will not hurt or effect your knee...check out pilates....a good reformer workout will take care of everything in your body....

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 12:54:10 AM »
Melissa,

Hi there, here are a couple of sites that will give you some info on your syndrome. 

http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic101.htm

http://www.bugsbest.com/patelofm.htm

« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 12:57:13 AM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Loves2RunMel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 02:32:46 AM »
Thank you so incredibly much for your input.  Im praying that someday I will be the same and enjoy being who I was, right now it is hard to keep a smile or think of anything else besides my knee. Im hoping that because Im young that I will heal sooner however it is going on 6 months now that I've had pain...its hard with my school schedule to stay off of it all the time but Im trying.  Now that Im done ranting and raving about it. Thanks again!