Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP..... stitches problem  (Read 7100 times)

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Ouch!!
Re: HELP..... stitches problem
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 05:31:42 PM »
Far too many distractions to get any painting done....I didnt even manage to get the lid off the tin!!.  My day was filled with friends sending texts, phone calls, visitors and baking really stodgey fattening chocolate chip cookies....then eating them ;D....had to feed my guests with something :P
I had a great day, then in the evening, I went to my Parents for dinner....prawns, steak and trifle....oh how yummy :D
No accidents, so Anja will be dissapointed...no straight jacket fittings today!! ::)

Have fun everyone,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 05:47:55 PM »
I'm all for do it yourself, but  I think the stitches thing was bit over board..stick to the plaster and paint..and HAPPY BIRTHDAY..I'm finishing up re-doing  my coach today.......

Hilde ;)
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Elly

• Regular Poster
  • Cheer up, Charlie
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2006, 12:25:19 PM »
You're definately sure it's not dissloving nylon? I used to work in hand therapy and the surgeon there regularly used dissolving internal running stitch for wrist incisions.  I would have thought the thread would be more likely to snap if it was soluble, because it would have weak points where it was starting to dissolve.  Each surgeon has their own way though so you could be right.

Incidently, I thing I have an internal stitch for a 2" knee incision, and there's a bit of blue-ish thread sticking out of the middle!?! The scar is well healed so I tried gently pulling it but it's solid! Gonna ask my OS on Monday having learned from your experimentation!!

Elly  ;D
2006- Left hamstring ACL recon
          Med & Lat meniscectomy

2013 - Graft Failed, OA, and some kind of weird popping!?

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2006, 05:11:44 PM »
Oh Elly, for a moment I felt quite hopeful that they may have just possibly been dissolving stitches.....then I remembered about the look on the faces of the A&E triage nurse, Dr, Surgical Dr, then at my GP's, the Dr and the nurse.....after I told them the colour of the thread.....it was the look of 'Oh dear, oh dear, Oh dear, this girl has a little problem'!! :-[
.....Then as if it were by magic......that little glimmer of hope was whisked away in a flash.....and Im back to reality, dreading telling my hand OS what stupid thing the imaginary Rover has done to me!! :o

Please dont tell me you tried pulling your own stitch after reading this thread......would you like to borrow my straight jacket?? ;D

Hilde, thanks for the Birthdy message, I had a great time :D.....I love the DIY stuff, sounds like you do too!.
I said to my knee OS during an operation (I was wide awake with a spinal) 'you can go for a cuppa tea and Ill carry on if you like'!!....Surprise surprise, he didnt ;D

Have fun,

Heather ;)
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2006, 10:40:29 PM »
Hi everyone.....Im back from my Hand Clinic appointment....it went well, they thought it was hillarious what happened to my stitches (obviously made up an awesome story which they probably didnt believe but thought it was a hoot anyway ;D) and said not to worry, the stitches can stay in without a problem :o.  If they get infected, then they will cut them out or maybe they will work their way to the surface, otherwise, no problem ::).  If they do work their way out, then Im to get the tweezers and pull the whole fishing line out :o :o
My hand is very stiff and painful to move, otherwise the scaphoid is painfree.  Pre-op it was very tender and sore to poke and prod the scaphoid area on the palm of my hand :D....so there's a plus!!
Im to start gentle ROM exercises straight away and go to Occupational Therapy to get it moving well again.
The splint is to stay on for a further 4 weeks atleast, unless exercising.

So, boys and girls, the moral of the story is.....dont take your own stitches out unless.......... you have a funny alibi to tell your OS ;D

Take care everyone,

Heather ;)
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2006, 04:51:19 AM »
Heather... Now, I know it's not really a good idea to laugh at another's misfortune... but... your story is really funny!  Not so much the events but the way you tell it...  ;D  Now... what I (and I'm sure many others) are curious to here, is what exactly did "rover" do to your stitches?  I'm creative... but i'm not sure i'm THAT creative...
1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2006, 09:16:36 AM »
Ohhhhhhhh, thats for Rover, the Dr's and me to know and the knee geeks to use their imagination to figure out for themselves ;D
If you end up on the floor, rolling around in stitches (excuse the punn), then thats good enough ;D ;D ;D
Answers on a postcard!

Take care,

Heather ;)
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2006, 09:55:57 PM »
Hi heather
Glad that your stitches have been sorted - just remember that we do have that straight jacket on hand should you give us cause to use it!!
take care anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2006, 10:59:39 PM »
Ha ha ha, got my very own straight jacket here Anja!!

Been away all week, just flew back tonight.  My friends thought it was hilarious about my stitches.....they now call me Spider Woman....just incase the thread splurts out of my wrist like casting a web :P....oh what a sicko bunch of friends I have ;D

Off to the hand therapist for some bendy exercises tomorrow morning and to check on progress :-\

Heather ;)
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2006, 08:34:49 AM »
I am almost 7 weeks post op now and have an appointment with the Hand OS this afternoon to check on progress.  I am having x-rays to check to see if the graft has taken..........fingers crossed :P.
Ive been allowed to remove the splint for about the last 4 weeks just to exersise the joint.  I have gained excelent flexion and extension in my wrist, although still very stiff and painful.  Sideways movement and twisting are very painful.  A silly fall, landing on an outstretched hand a week last Monday really didnt help much....its still stiffer than it was before the fall.......so we will see what's what this afternoon.  Ill let you know how it goes ::)

Hope you are all fit and well,

Heather ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 08:37:59 AM by heather k from wales »
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 01:30:24 PM »
Hi Heather

Good luck this afternoon, have all manor of things crossed for you!   :o  Let's hope you can throw your splint away, hooray!

Hop  ;D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »
Well I had my appointment today....I came out not a happy girl at all :-[

I had xrays from just about every possible angle, the Dr wasnt happy with the xrays so took them to the OS to check them, they think I have cracked the scaphoid.....7 weeks of rehab and I have done this to it :'(
They are sending me for a CT Scan in the next week or two to check for certain, then more xrays in 2 weeks at my next clinic appointment :'( :'(
So for now Im still to wear the stinky splint and be careful with my wrist. :-[
I knew I had done something to my wrist when I fell last week, but thought it may have been a sprain

Oh well, thats life......

Take care everyone,

Heather ;)

Oh by the way....Hop, you can un-cross everything now ;D.........bet thats a relief now, isnt it??
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 07:10:21 PM by heather k from wales »
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2006, 09:41:15 PM »
aaaargh - so sorry about your fall- ar you naturally accident prone - oh sorry - the stitch episode was deliberate! ;D
hope your scan goes well and it turns out to be good news - and yeah I bet that splint is very stinky by now!!! hee hee

take care
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2006, 10:35:25 PM »
Heather:
I was splinted for 8 weeks when the tendons in my left hand all chose to randomly swell and the sheaths got huge... anyway... it stunk, literally.  One thing I found that helped was this:  My grandma went to the store and picked up a small piece of polar fleece (the thick, fuzzy, soft stuff)... we cut several (3 or 4) peices out of it that fit inside my splint, between my hand and the splint.  Each night, we'd change out the piece and wash the one from that day.  It helped a LOT with the stink... I don't know what sort of splint you have, but might that be an option for you?  I had a custom-made plaster half-cast.
Best wishes to you... Your next appointment HAS to go better!! 
1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 11:08:05 PM »
Thanks for your replies and advice,

As for the stink....well thats just that the situation in general that stinks and luckily not the splint....I have a spare one and alternate them, wash 'n wear.  So stinkyness is not a problem.

I have the fluffy soft under-cast padding under the splint as I have a very painful area right at the lowest end of the scaphoid....the splint is way too rough to wear alone, even though they are both soft neoprene ones with supports.
Its been a blessing on the stinkyness side to have a splint as I can wash it and my arm as I want, BUT, I really wish they would have plastered it from day 1 for better protection...I have knocked and bashed it so many times in the last 7 weeks.  I just really expected them to take the splint away today and tell me to come back in 6 weeks or so :-\

Oh well, these things are sent to test us!!

Heather ;)

Anja.....remember...it wasnt me...it was Rover ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 11:13:18 PM by heather k from wales »
94 Meniscus Repair
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Scope