Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Help with expectations prior to follow-up with Doc  (Read 872 times)

Offline Brik

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help with expectations prior to follow-up with Doc
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:57:22 PM »
Hello - I have been having knee pain. 37yo male This started when I got up from a chair and my tibia and femur seemed to go out of alignment for a moment. At that instant there was a lot of pain. pain seems to now come and go. Walking is OK although I feel unsteady like my knee wants to go out a non-normal position. Sitting is fine, just a dull ache when I'm off it. The ache is mostly above the knee in the muscles. I have had my knee go out before but I have never had the lasting effects like I have now. I used to be about 80 lb. overweight. I am only 10 over my ideal now.

I went to the dr. after about a week of mild pain. Once had sharp pain/misalignment between first instance and dr. visit. Dr. did a physical exam and sent me for an MRI. Couldn't manipulate my knee to force any pain. Dr. suspected a torn meniscus.

MRI results are in and next Dr. apt is tomorrow.

MRI read and assessed as follows (Summary):
Description of the images... There is small knee effusion ... mild degenerative changes .. with pointing of the tibial spines as well as small spurs off the medial tibial plateau. ... no evidence of bone bruising or fracture/ supporting ligamentous...intact.

Conclusion:
Mild degenerative changes.... small to moderate knee effusion. ...not evidence of ligamentous or meniscal tear.

So - What does this say? It says I'm getting old and I have some swelling right? What can be done about that? I am just concerned about something going terribly wrong if I am skiing or doing some other physical activity. If nothing bad will happen I can live with the pain.

What should I expect as the next step from the doc?

Thanks!
B in PA in US

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Help with expectations prior to follow-up with Doc
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 09:14:03 PM »
It depends on what kind of doc you are seeing.  If you're seeing a GP, you'll probably get a prescription for celebrex and be sent on your way.  If you're seeing an OS, you'll probably get a knee brace.  If you're seeing an OS who specializes in knees and sports medicine, you'll probably get more agressive options - if the damage is localized, they may offer you a surgical "clean up", where they clear away the loose bits and the bone spurs, and even microfracture (where they drill to the bone marrow to try to generate a sort of cartilage scab over the hole).  YOu may be advised to go to physical therapy, because increasing muscle strength can reduce symptoms of pain.

You didn't mention x-rays - were any taken?  You should have standing x-rays, to measure joint space narrowing, and what's called a skyline view (I think), where your knees are bent, and the film is sort of in your lap.  The 2nd one checks to see if your knee cap is sitting where it should.

Good luck-
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Brik

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 09:22:46 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply - Going to an Ortho surgeon. Picked out of phone book essentially. Specializes in knees. My personal preference will be a less invasive approach at first. Strength training is something I would like to do anyway and if that will help I'm all for it.

No x-rays were taken, only the MRI. The initial evaluation suspected meniscus tear. next may be follow up x-ray, not sure. We'll see tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:40:30 AM »
Joint effusion is swelling inside the joint. My question to the doc would be what is causing the effusion? The knee's obvioulsy not happy about something. Don't trust an MRI to tell you everything wrong in the knee. They have their place in a diagnosis, but shouldn't be relied upon solely. You should have x-rays and a good knee exam where the OS listens to your history before making any judgments about your injury. Good luck!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

support