Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: glucosamine and chondroitin  (Read 4716 times)

Offline hogwash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
glucosamine and chondroitin
« on: March 22, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
Having recently had my second ACL recon and had a meniscal repair any thoughts on the use of glucosamine and chondroitin? It's quite expensive in the UK at £18 -£19.00 for a months supply. I have tied it on the advice of a friend.
FEB 1996 ACL RECON LEFT KNEE, PARTIAL MEDIAL MENISCECTOMY
FEB 2006 ACL RECON RIGHT KNEE, MEDIAL MENISCUS REPAIR. BOTH PATELLAR TENDON GRAFTS.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: glucosamine and chondroitin
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 06:00:46 PM »
Hi hogwash, I take a combined glucosamine and chondroitin from a UK online Company called 'Healthspan' that only costs £7.95 for 120 tablets. There are also other types of glucosamine which you can see on their website.

The following link will take you to the website were you click on shop, a list of products will come up, click on glucosamine and you will see their selection of glucosamine tablets.

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/

Regards Nick.
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 06:04:31 PM »
HI hogwash ~ I gather lots of doctors recommend glucosamine/chondroitin supplements but whether they work or not seems to be a very individual thing. They're certainly worth a try & heaven knows there are lots of them on the market now so do your research to be sure what you're buying is worth the money. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline rialy

• Regular Poster
    • Alice in the Shadows - one of my projects!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:39:57 PM »
Hiya hogwash!

I recently heard from my rheumotologist's nurse that I need to take 2 glucosamine/chondroitin pills daily for it to do anything.  The strength I have is glucosamine 750 / chondroitin 600 and the bottle says the serving size is once daily.  I may double check somewhere about this for as you say, even on sale it's kind of expensive.  I've also heard that it takes 3 months before you start to feel the healing affects...

hope this helps - good luck and feel better.

best,
RiAly
fell Feb 21 06
TP Fx and torn meniscus
Waiting for next OS appointment April 12th
Meanwhile using crutches + knee sleeve w/Patella Support

harry78

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »
Hi there,

This is a question that I also posed months ago, and really I do forget to take it when I should be. I realised this after my OS discharged (8.5 months post op) me saying that it may help with the health of the articular cartlidge. So its thanks to posts like this one that reminds me to take it. Cheers

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 08:08:44 PM »
Sometimes the supplement works faster if you take a loading dose but manufacturers usually will tell you that. It's generally a double dose for X amount of time; then backing down to the regular daily dose. If you've not taken supplements before & the suggestion is to start with a loading dose, I'd suggest you do. You might feel any difference faster...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 09:12:09 PM »
Hi, I been taking glucosamine only for a few (6)years now...initially took 1500mg per day but recently upped to 2000mg....anything under 1500 usually makes no difference..I get mine at Trader Joes (US) for about $4.99 for 100 capsules at 500mg each...I stopped taking them for a while after the big article saying they don't work...well the article is junk if you ask me....after 2 weeks without, all my joints were squiking like old doors...after 2 weeks back on again I'm fine...so ..they definitly work for me..you can also get liquid glucosamine from Costco..but I don't know how it works for you guys overseas...I send stuff to my mom in Norway, but tecnicallly I think it's illigal since she has to get a presciption for it over there....sooooooo...both Costco and Trader Joe's has websites..so see if you can get them that way

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline hogwash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanx for all the helpful tips looks like i'm going to keep" taking the tablets",but i will look round for some cheaper outllets (cheers nick)

cheers

Tommy
FEB 1996 ACL RECON LEFT KNEE, PARTIAL MEDIAL MENISCECTOMY
FEB 2006 ACL RECON RIGHT KNEE, MEDIAL MENISCUS REPAIR. BOTH PATELLAR TENDON GRAFTS.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline dmturner

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 02:03:45 AM »
I've been told by both my OS and the 2nd opinion OS the Dept. of Labor sent me to that I should only take glucosamine (not condroitin or a combination of both), and that I should take the glucosomine faithfully twice a day.  They said evidence shows that glucosamine works, but that condroitin does not make a difference.  I've been told it should take about two months before I start to notice a difference.  I just started taking them about a week ago, so I hope they're right.

Donna T.
9/04 L TPF Plate w/6 screws;
5/05 R Calcaneal Process Fracture Surgery;
2/06 L Hardware Removal & Patellar Debridement;
8/06 R Great Toe Fusion;
1/07 L TKR

Offline brendamag

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 02:33:03 PM »
I have take the standard "recommended"dose of glucosamine and chondrotin for years to help my knees, with moderate and spotty success. My chiropractor told me to "double" the dose, that this was necessary for anyone with a degenerative condition on the affected joints. He's had terrible degeneration of his lower spine (prior to becoming a chiropractor) and has gained much mobility and pain relief from this. He also warns that you must take it consistently for it to work.

brenda mag

Offline ibis003

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 06:22:10 PM »
I have used glucosamine, chondrotin and MSN for years in jiu jitsu to keep the joints lubed up.  For me without the MSN I don't get the same effect on my joints.
Dislocated Knee/ Blown ACL/ruptured MCL 2-18-06 (Donahue  Triad)
Started pre-op PT 3-14-06
ACLR & MCL repair on 4-26-06