Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Oxford Knee - Unicompartmental Replacement  (Read 2191 times)

Offline PWJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Oxford Knee - Unicompartmental Replacement
« on: April 04, 2003, 03:58:15 PM »
Having developed arthritis in my left knee following a cartilidge op 17 years ago, I've been advised that an Oxford knee would help relieve the pain and get my quality of life back (I'm in my 40s with two young children).

Much of what I read about Oxford knees is good, but always talks about replacing the medial side. Has anyone any experience of a lateral side Oxford knee?

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Oxford Knee - Unicompartmental Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 07:35:15 PM »
I've just been seeing a patient who has had a lateral uni-knee. He has done extremely well, with a quick recovery, and he is very pleased with the result. His scar is also very neat compared to a TKR

He has been told not to sit crossed legged though so that the the prosthesis doesn't slip out sideways!
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Offline fotomooy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Oxford Knee - Unicompartmental Replacement
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 10:26:38 AM »
I have had many surgerys (3x acl on the same knee)  the last 5 years a lot of pain. I have lost 13 kilograms and got synovisc to work on my cartilage (because that was damaged through the years) Now I am painfree, I am jogging and biking again. Also I do workouts in the gym on a so called "crosstrainer". This instrument is very good for a bad knee. So loosing weight, a synovisc cure and training the muscles of your knee was succesfull in my case. I hope you can use my information. I am a 50 years old man from the Netherlands. Greetings, Martin Mooij