Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: RSD  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
RSD
« on: March 21, 2006, 11:31:00 AM »
A person I know was recently diagnosed with RSD, something some of you have mentioned suffering with. May I ask how you control the pain? I'd like to share your thoughts with this woman who's feeling very down & out at the moment. Many thanks...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: RSD
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 04:38:31 PM »
Hi Ellie,

I ahve also recently been diagnosed with RSD. I have found that the usual pain meds and anti-inflammatories don't work. Something I've tried which has given a little relief is Lyrica. It helps with deep rooted nerve pain but won't tak eit away completely.
If your friend is in a lot of pain, as most of ud sre, she could try a combination of these types of drugs, alongside pain meds and pain managment classes.

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 05:34:37 PM »
Thanks, Laura. From what I'm hearing about this problem, it's unbelieveably nasty. Judy's apparently orignated from a leg fracture last year and this woman who was a virtual dynamo is at the moment confined to a wheelchair if she wants to leave the house. When someone says the pain is so bad there are nights when she doesn't really care if she wakes up the next morning, you know she's suffering.

I'm not familiar with Lyrica but I'll do some research & pass it along. Many thanks & wishing you well. Tell me, is this something from which one can eventually recover completely or is it a matter of pain management for a lifetime?...Ellie 
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 06:28:22 PM »
I have RSD and will never recover..she should really if she hasn't already go get referal to painmanagement clinic, where different docs and other caring people work.
I use wheelchair 100% both because of my knee but I have also a spinal damage.
A mixed combination of meds used for nervpain, blockades,TENS unit, phys can help and maybe also make a huge difference.
If she wonder anything or you wonder please let me know if I can help you in any way.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 07:26:28 PM »
Thanks, Nettan. I was hoping you'd respond because I'd read somewhere on this website that you were an RSD sufferer. I'm sorry to know that you're in a constant fight to battle pain w/o an end in sight. The disease sounds horrific.

The woman about whom I'm writing was an ACO (Animal Control Officer) here in CT. She's a little bit of a thing who risked her life untold times to rescue animals over the years. So to read about her plight in the local newspaper was a shock to say the least.

I'm sure, knowing her, that she's turning over every rock to find some combination of protocols that will make her life more tolerable but if I can tap the resources of people on this website who are from all over the world, perhaps I'll be able to pass on to her something about which she's not yet familiar.

My thanks again & wishing you the best...Ellie
No repairs.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:49:23 PM »
Hi Ellie,

Your friend needs to be strong and stay positive. I've found this really difficult over the last month or so and I think the only reason I'v kept my sanity is because I returned to work and refuse point blank to give in to something I don't fully understand. But, having said that, I know I'm too stubborn for my own good at times and have already reached the point where I have to be taken home again because I'm no use to anyone at work.
I can relate to not wanting to wake up in the morning. This is assuming I've been to sleep, of course. Generally, I'm awake for approx 22-24 hours each day and the pain is always worse at night. A few hours of decent sleep can make all the difference otherwise one can end up functioning on autopilot. Not the best situation to be in.

Regards,

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation