Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Horse bucked, knee buckled =\ burning sensation on inner knee  (Read 1210 times)

Offline PennyL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi all,
I'm brand new to this board & the kneeguru site, so far it looks to have awesome information! I recently reinjured my knee while horseback riding. I have dislocated my patella 3 times prior (when I was 12, 14 and 16 - I'm 24 now) so suffer from a "loose" knee on and off. Apparently it was very loose the night I wisely (haha) decided to ride without my knee brace  >:( My new mare was feeling fresh & took off bucking, I would have been able to ride it out had my weakest link (knee) not given out.

Anyway, the kneecap gave out, but was back in when I hit the ground, since I've had the partial dislocations before (just not as hard) I didn't think much of it, just followed the RICE regimine. Problem is, it has been 2 weeks since the injury and my knee stability hasn't improved :( That was really obvious this weekened when friday, I stepped on black ice, fell and pulled the knee, then Saturday morning my boyfriends dog hit the front of my kneecap and hyperextended it backwards & it was wrapped with an ACE bandage when both of those happened.

When I fell off my horse, the knee didn't swell up much, didn't change colors etc. However, I have been having problems with a "burning" sensation down the inside of my knee. The sensation seems to be concentrated in the area 3 inches above my kneecap, to 3 inches below (give or take an inch). I don't remember this burning sensation even from my full dislocations in the past. Anything I've read says that usually a hit to the outside of the knee is the cause for an injury to the inside ligament. However since I was on a horse, I think it would have been the inside of my knee that took the hit, not the outside...yet the painful area is definitely the inside of my knee. I also can't walk down stairs using both legs, I have to treat my right knee like its imobilized otherwise it feels like it wants to give out. 

I made an appointment with my OS but it will be 3/29 before he can see me. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar sensation on the inside of their knee. Since I didn't have extreme pain or swelling, I don't think I tore my ACL (I hope I didn't anyway) but I am wondering if I did tear, or at least greatly sprain, something on my inner knee. If anyone has experienced something similar and would be willing to share that'd be great. I'd like to get a feel for what it "might" be before I see the OS. Since I've never had major surgery I'm kind of freaked out that I might have to have surgery  :-\ I'm crossing my fingers that I just need rest and PT to fix it. 

hope to hear from you...
~Penny

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Horse bucked, knee buckled =\ burning sensation on inner knee
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:31:12 AM »
Penny,

Sorry about your injury.  Don't know what was injured but hopefully you'll get answers when you see your OS.  Are you icing and using Nsaid's - that should help.  Also wrap the knee in a tensor bandage - that will not only keep the knee warm - it might give it some stability until you see the doctor.
Good luck and let us know how your appointment goes.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline PennyL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Horse bucked, knee buckled =\ burning sensation on inner knee
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »
Hi Shade,
Yup I've been icing and using good ol' advil when it starts hurting me, also keeping it wrapped with an ace bandage for support. thanks for the message, illl update here after my appointment :)