Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: recent acl surgery  (Read 846 times)

Offline nicholekay06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
recent acl surgery
« on: March 21, 2006, 07:56:03 AM »
Hi- I am new to the board. I recently had knee surgery (almost 2 months ago). I had arthoscopic surgery to remove my acl in my right knee. I have been able to find very little advice as to what is normal in recovery, also what physical limitations I will suffer or what should I avoid. My knee seemed to be making a great recovery, but in the last 2 weeks, it has been "buckling" in on me, and it is constantly in pain. Is this normal or should I see my doctor asap? Also, other than a brace for acl deficent knees, is there any type of smaller brace to help with this type of injury? Thanks

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: recent acl surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 09:45:31 AM »
Hi there

If you had your ACL removed, then the chances are you will experience buckling since the ACL is responsible for knee stability.  Are you having an ACL reconstruction to replace it??  I had an ACL reconstruction nearly 12 months ago because I found that after I ruptured my ACL my knee was terribly unstable and I couldnt function normally without it. 

People are are affected differently when they lose their ACL, it sounds like you are going to have knee stability issues, which means that you might have to give up sports that put stress on the knees, and be really wary of it buckling.  Buckling may also lead to further damage of the cartlidge, and you may knee surgery after to remove and fix tears.  To me you may have two options, keep away from sports and activites that cause it to buckle, or consider and ACL reconstruction. 

Check out the Cruciates section down further on the board...... lots of us with ACL injuries etc hang out down there too.... might be more info there to help you out.

Alla 
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

harry78

Re: recent acl surgery
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:50:07 AM »
Hi there,

Yes I agree with alla that every giving way episode will inevitably cause problems for your knee's health. I don't quite understand how the ACL is removed and nothing reconstructed in its' place? If this buckling continues then you need to have an ACL reconstruction asap because I did try all kinds of strapping before surgery and it just can't act as a substitute unfortunately.
Do whats best for the knee and think about it or vice versa!

Best of kuck Harry.