Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL injuries and our options  (Read 860 times)

Offline anique4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL injuries and our options
« on: March 20, 2006, 10:52:42 PM »
hi, new to this chat thing. But I'm driven by my frustrations with my knee. I hurt my knee 5 months ago playing soccer. There was never a sudden moment when I hurt it. It happened gradually after 2 very competitive games. Had an MRI and it turns out that a piece of cartilage chipped off and I bruised my femur. I think the bone is healed now. But my knee isn't. My doctor said that my ACL was stretched. He determined this by his physical examination not the MRI because that showed that it was intact, no tears. I've gone through 2 months of physical therapy and my knee is significantly better. Mind you, it never buckled on me and it doesn't feel unstable. It did feel a little loose in the beginning, but no longer. I started playing soccer again. But everytime I take a hard step to change directions or stop my hamstring tightens up and it feels like I've pulled it. Afterwards I can't even run and the pain lasts for another day and a half. My PT says my ACL is being pinched and is causing my muscles to spasm. This cycle continues to happen everytime I try to play. I really want to avoid reconstruction which I had once 10 years ago and was very successful. But my knee doesn't feel half as bad as it did then. I'm not willing to quit soccer either. I was wondering if anyone has tried the ACL shrinkage procedure or prolotherapy for stretched or partially torn ACLs? Does it work? 

anique4

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: ACL injuries and our options
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:26:39 AM »
Hi,

Here is an article that might be of interest to you.  Hope you find answers to your situation.

Good luck.  ~Shade

http://www.knee1.com/hero/hero.cfm/50/1
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

support