Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Allergic Reaction to Ace Bandages?  (Read 9355 times)

Offline sassygrams

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Allergic Reaction to Ace Bandages?
« on: March 20, 2006, 05:16:25 PM »
Has anyone out there ever had an allergic reaction to Ace bandages?  If so what were your symptoms? Even after not using them for over a day I still have red itchy areas on my leg/knee area. Driving me crazy! Thanks for your input.

Offline jchicago

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Allergic Reaction to Ace Bandages?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:47:52 AM »
Ace bandages contain latex.  I am allergic to latex and cannot use Ace bandages or I will break out in a rash and/or hives.  The non-latex one they put on me when I had surgery is worn out and icky.  So I went to Walgreens and looked for an elastic bandage that is latex-free and couldn't find one.  The pharmacist told me to call a medical supply store, which I will need to do tomorrow.

I also have a mild form of Spina Bifida, called Spina Bifida Occulta, which I guess is not all that rare.  My spine doc once told me that people that have spina bifida often have latex allergies as well as renal/urologic birth defects, which I also had corrected when I was a child.

Hope this helps.

Offline dnaWalker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Allergic Reaction to Ace Bandages?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 09:19:28 PM »
I am a physical therapist assistant and I have something that you might try. It sounds funny but if you have to use those ACE bandages try MOM...yes milk of magnesia. Put a coating of it where the bandage touches directly on the skin, let it dry, then wrap. We used it in the clinic for people with tape allergies when taping the muscles into place. It acts as a barrier between the skin and the bandage. Just an idea. Good Luck!

support