Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Not sure where to post  (Read 1713 times)

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
Not sure where to post
« on: March 20, 2006, 05:13:56 AM »
I have bilateral grade three and four tricompartmental arthritis.  I also have severe patella femoral syndrome.chronic subluxations/dislocations. I had a proximal realignment this past summer. I was told that the surgery will not cure me, but hopefully result in enough symptom relief to allow me to wait six or seven years for a TKR.  With the exception of normal post op discomfort, surgery was pretty smmooths. About 8 weeks after surgery, I was back at work full tme with minimal discomfort.  The past few days, my surgical knee has started to hurt.  I have always had the lovely grinding sound in my knees but this is different.When I straighten my knee out, you could hear a crackling sound, almost sounds like someone is crinkiling up paper.  It is loud enough that my husband can hear it when he sits about five feet from me.
Any ideas or suggestions?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 12:06:25 PM by amy1 »
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline darnknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Not sure where to post
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 07:59:47 AM »
I am new.  I have a torn medial meniscus which is to be removed in a few weeks.  I am trying to talk myself out of the surgery, but am assured by many, it will be worth it.  I took only two weeks off of work.  I walk a lot in my job, so can anyone out there tell me about their experience?  Thanks.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 02:48:40 PM »
Amy, call your doc and make sure there isn't anything wrong...could be so simple that you have overdone this knee.
GOOD LUCK !!

HUGS NETTAN 8)

Darnknee  if you get don't under meniscus section you can read more about your surgery and how people have felt afterwards. All depends on if you have repair,total removal or meniscectomy...if your doc knows exactly what will be done phone and ask.
GOOD LUCK !!

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »
I have a call in the Dr.G to see him. I have plantar fasciitis, the left foot being worse than the right.  I wonder if this has changed my gait and triggered things.  Hopefully the little bit of decent remaining cartlidge isn't breaking down.  We are trying to postpone a TKR for six or seven years due to my age UGH
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 05:12:16 PM »
Hey Amy, my pt has some exersizes for plantar fasciatis......try spreading your toes or...seperating you big toe the others and then your little toe....kind of like Dr Spock on Star Trek did with his fingers...a friend has been doing it and she swears it's better..also try standing on hard tennis ball, rolling it back and forth under the foot.....don't know if plantar triggers a wrong gate, but I have a supenated heel and that has certainly made a difference on my knee, trying to train it out....frustrated, but it's working slowly but surely...good luck

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:06:09 AM »
AMy,

I get the same thing when I over use my knee!!! MY OS is trying to buy me 5 years before a PKR. When that happens I avoid stairs and any bending that might put more pressure on my patella. I also periodically get a cortisone shot to try and calm it all down.

I hope this helps !

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 08:36:06 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  I am able to make it through a day at work, but I am a bit sore by the end of the day and from time to time, my knee doesn't actually lock, but just feels strange.  I am going back to Dr. G in about three weeks.  In the meantime, I just keep my knee brace at work ...just in case.

Have a good day

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »
plantar fascitis is common when people with flat feet wear shoes without much arch support.  You may want to look into orthotics, or wear good sneakers for a while.  I actually  had elastic braces I would wear around my arch when I was at tae kwon do, because it was a lot of jumping around, etc., barefoot.

Just a thought...
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 11:22:38 PM »
I have been seeing a podiatrist for the past four months.  I am doing the stretching, wearing a night splint, have custom orthotics, wearing shoes with good shock absorption and arch support and wearing the elastic support that you describe when I am at work and on my feet a lot.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 01:57:58 AM »
Sounds like you're doing everything you can.  I hope you start seeing the benefits soon.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 10:03:42 AM »
Amy,

Hope that they can get the plantar fascitis calmed down again.  That condition can cause problems for such a long period of time. 
Good luck with the OS appointment.  Let us know how everything goes. 
Sorry to hear that your having a rough time again. 
Hugs.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

support